Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you misread Aria's post. It was the SIL and husband, the husband being the older brother of Aria's friend.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There must be loads of people who've committed crimes and thought it a bad idea while they were doing it. It doesn't make them innocent.

If you willingly go along with something, even with doubt in your mind, you've still willingly gone along with it.

Your "regret" example, I'd hope, would only be classed in any way as rape in the eyes of the most fervent extremist.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno. It doesn't seem to me too different that the scenario that was given -- I don't know what my former GF said at the time, but she might have been expressing doubts.

I'm just trying to figure out the rules. Not for me, I am long past being in that situation!

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, my bad...
    his brother. not her brother. been a long week...

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wow...

http://gawker.com/successful-street-artist-talks-about-how-he-maybe-raped-1564734308

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #1032 JohnR, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    I suspect that is indeed just a story. Guys do like to talk. Serving up a rape/creepy fantasy for his listeners.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shit under this, how many prom dates can be considered rape.

If the 2 cases above are rape, then a case could be made that most girls lose their virginity to rape.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that fits right into the culture being talked about in this thread. He thinks it is a story to tell and will get interest. And people listen to him and find it interesting, fascinating, and are not repulsed. Thus, when a story like this is real, people act as if it is just another story and not "real."

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes I know. 50 Shades is a rape fantasy too. People love that stuff.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? I just thought it was about bondage and stuff like that.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From Wiki -

Reluctant, gets talked into it, likes it but doesn't like it, walks away, then comes back (in the future books) ... all the same shit we've been talking about.

She also gets jumped by one of her boyfriend's friends at one stage, the rape doesn't come off, but she's not really mad at the guy because you know, these things happen.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, thanks.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Erm, so, you've read those books? :D

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nah, just a long discussion/review by a woman who appears to be a much better writer than the author, and with a caustic sense of humor too. She wasn't a big fan.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    soccernutter repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a link on the same page:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...tory-of-ei-the-latest-rape-email-frat/361056/

The editors of Bloomberg.com wrote an editorial in January calling forfraternities to be abolished, but the EI case makes clear that outlawing specific chapters doesn’t solve the problem. Rooting out sexual assault at colleges is enormously tricky. It’s made even harder by the fact that EI is little more than a bunch of dudes who wear matching t-shirts, rather than an official fraternity that can be punished by an oversight body.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not exactly on cue but related:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/buffalo-bills-cheerleaders-sue-pay-23431588

From what I read, cheerleaders from two other teams have sued the NFL for similar charges.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So she is for suing for signing up for degrading, humiliating volunteer job, and then being degraded and humiliated. Got it.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know if they signed for the second part of it @JohnR. I mean, from the sidelines it looks like a glamorous job and I would expect that if you are a team fan or you want to make a career in dancing or something related it is kind of related.

If the advertising said that they had to participate for free in gropping sessions with drunk sponsors and season ticket holders it is possible that not all the girls would agree to it.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which part means it is okay for her "coach" to do the degrading and humiliating? Is it the volunteer part?

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Don't get me wrong, I don't defend that.

But ... glamorous? Jiggling half naked in front of leering males? NFL cheerleaders are unpaid strippers.

Actually I regard stripping as less degrading. The woman is getting paid well, usually, and there is no pretense of it being anything other than an exchange of sex for money. NFL cheerleading is just sad. Sad for the women who buy into it, sad for the leering men (which I can be at times, but it's sad), and certainly sad for the drunken groping pig sponsors.

Well if this helps to bring down NFL (and NBA) cheerleading, this will be an advance for both genders.

22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a former Cheerleader/Dance Team member, she used it as sort of an unpaid internship type position to try to get noticed by someone in the modeling/acting profession. She ended up going into sales and is doing quite well.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fair enough, it's a socially acceptable form of stripping. Like working as a bikini model as a sales convention. I suppose that does support the notion that the cheerleaders might not have understood what they were getting into.

So scratch my earlier comment. I am not surprised that cheerleaders were treated that way, but perhaps it's reasonable that they were.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/23/brown-university-rapist-strangle_n_5201644.html