Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The great thing about you posting this gif is that it completely defeats your analysis.

"Incidental" makes no difference on whether this is a penalty or not. I don't know why people in this thread can't understand that point.

chalaron, wsmaugham, Zak1FCK and 7 others repped this.
  2. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I don't see what's wrong with talking about extenuating circumstances in relationship to Jozy being a bust at Sunderland. He had some luck in this game, and if he'd had some luck in others the season might of turned out differently for him.

3. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    It does make a difference, because the defender has the right to the ground, just as much as the striker has the right to plant his foot where he wants. When those two are in the same location, it's incidental contact.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly feel free to tell me my eyes aren't working but I see Altidore's foot coming down on Azpilicueta's trailing leg. Don't think that's a pen. Although the reality is that it's impossible to see in real time and it would have looked like his trailing leg took out Jozy's left foot.

Ok, done with this. Thanks for the banter. Let's see if Sunderland can pull off the great escape. I actually think it would be good for Jozy to go into another season with a pre-season and a manager set in place and all that stuff.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    To me an unnatural position is a sloppily-timed slide to a block a shot the attacker isn't even in position to begin, all while following through with a trailing foot.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1 - Ha! Ask Mourinho what he thinks about that... if he will bother saying more than four things, that is.

2 - You speak with certainty about something you actually have no way to know. What is to say he did not step wide to change direction? This is not some court of law with motives you glean. The attacker is allowed to put his foot down in a stride without being hampered. And I am not trying to be argumentative, I am literally saying I do not see how the call can be argued. Because I do not. I was not sure when it happened live, but I have also yet to see a replay that makes me think otherwise.

3 - Hmm... is it possible you are confused? If you happen to think it was a PK, then what-the-what?

7. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    After a while, extenuating circumstances become excuses.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Bingo! Please come up front and claim your homemade layer cake!

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    From the LOTG under "direct kicks", directly from FIFA:

CDM76, chalaron, DiscoWarrior11 and 6 others repped this.
  10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I am sorry, maybe it is because I am slow or just not paying attention... what precisely are we having to excuse from Altidore today? I must have missed it.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    They only become excuses if you didn't watch the games. Crap like that horrible failed 3 on 1 Sunderland had near the end has happened all season long. Again, nobody in this thread is saying Jozy is a world beater.

12. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Looked to me like he was sliding to stop a cross, but whatever. In any case, it's a poorly written rule.

Don't see why discussion should be limited to this game only, there's a thread for that. But just to humor you, Altidore was unremarkable again, per usual.

13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    World beater? He ain't even Shane Long.

14. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    He was on an island again, per usual.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just made that up. Lol at this thread.

16. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nah, he's just facing more physical defenders.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one cares what Mourinho says he thinks about much of anything.

I'm just giving my opinion like anyone else, I see what I see. I shouldn't have to put "in my opinion" after every post, no one else is. Is Altidore allowed to plant a foot, yes he is. But Azpi is allowed to slide away from a player and not have his trailing leg stepped on, too. Not that Jozy did it on purpose, obviously.

It's a tough call. In real time, it's a PK because it's hard to look at once and see Altidore's leg splaying and not believe Azpi really took out the leg. So from that perspective he had to give it. Upon replay, Altidore steps on Azpi and I think that's incidental. There's lots of contact in the box that doesn't lead to pens, this was one of those situations.

Last week against City, Skrtel punched a ball out of the box. On first look in real time, it's hard to give that pen because it was in a crowd of heads, his arm was draped over his teammate, so it just as easily could have been a header clear of the area and that's kind of what it looked like. Upon replay, however, it was a clear pen with a punch on the ball from an outstretched arm. So the opposite of this.

IMO.

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he's had a poor season, I assume, despite the fact that exactly nobody here argues that point.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone did say he got a "forearm in the face after beating 2 defenders" or something... truth on that play is he had a bad touch on that ball, and the forearm looked like shoulder to shoulder after he lost the ball already anyways.

Other than that he was okay today! He's never going to chase down those balls being hoofed up to him. A few good headers and decent hold up play as well in his limited minutes.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Spanish Liga is the best in the world, and by an increasing margin, as a quick check of the UEFA Coefficients confirms. The Spanish clubs (plural, it's almost always more than one) make the semis of both the Europa and the UCL. The gap between La Liga and the rest is much bigger than the gap between the EPL and the Bundesliga.

And it's not just the UEFA Coefficient. Anyone who knows football acknowledges La Liga is, by far, the best in the world.

21. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems obvious to me that Altidore is going to cut back so he takes a wide step with his left to prepare his body for that move. That step is interfered with by a slide from the defender. If that's not a foul, I don't know what is.

If you really think he changed his stride and stuck his leg out that quickly in hope of contact, then we should all wish he used his superman reaction speed all the time. He would never lose the ball and score 1,000 goals.

afgrijselijkheid, MPNumber9 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Match of the Day with a good stop-start replay showing the contact before making fun of the penalty deniers.

Shearer: "There's no debate. That is a penalty." (And there was no debate.)

Lineker: "You can see the result of our poll. Was it a penalty? 67% said Yes, and 33% are Chelsea fans."

chalaron, DiscoWarrior11, russ and 8 others repped this.
  23. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice Jozy being a straight-up thug on the pitch today throwing the ball away from the Chelsea players on free kicks and encroaching on Willian? I think he got into their heads today.

24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    This was the only main issue I had with this play. He is practically in on goal and takes it to the touch line where he had only one play, cut it back...

Rip a shot, put across the goal, look for someone at the top of the box.....Nope, nothing. I like the interception and the few touches he took towards goal...but.......

25. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Fast forward twenty pages later. He needs to score

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.