2014 UCLA Bruins

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cascadilly, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    The spring schedule starts Sunday against USC at 1 PM on the North Field, then the team goes to Japan in 2 weeks.

2. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    Bruins 3, USC 0

Goals by Kylie McCarthy (Taylor Smith), Courtney Proctor (Smith, McCarthy) and Taylor Alderete (Tayler Dragoo).

Missed it due to the marathon. Zoey Goralski was set to make her much-anticipated debut.

3. BruBru

BruBru Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It's very early, but I'm already getting excited about next season. The Bruins will be loaded with Senior talent (2 of whom have spent time in full national team camps, 1 is the U20 World Cup starting goalie, and a couple of others have been in U23 camps). It is probable that the defense will again be stingy this year, and equally probable that the offense will be more effective, as the likes of Smith and Lavrusky are now primarily upper classmen.

UCLA is obviously the favorite this year, but of course the talent on paper will not deliver a second consecutive championship. It will require the same commitment to team and perhaps another break or 2, but the team will have a darn good shot. All indications are that a great strength of the Cromwell regime has been the chemistry and the ability to focus on the objective.

Early rumors are of a few good matches at home this year against some ACC foes. Once again, the Stanford match will be huge, and possibly for a one seed. Let's get there already :)

4. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    Now finally having a championship, they should go forward with those North Field stadium plans that fell through after the Crash of '08.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

You mean like the new soccer stadium discussed across town when they won theirs?

South American repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #7 Cliveworshipper, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    I'd love for UCLA to get a new stadium - preferably with the visitors stands nearby.

7. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    Would hate for you to make another trip to watch your Portland Pilots play at UCLA, sit in those Drake Stadium seats and then hear you complain about it for the next 7 years.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Me too.

9. soccernutcase

soccernutcase New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd like to thing anything is possible with Amanda at the helm :rolleyes:

P.S. been a creeper for many years and this is my first post!

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I
    think the term is Lurker...Creeper is stalking an 18 year old girl on the internet (not that I have any experience with that) The new Stadium thing is something they are using in Recruiting. They are touting that more than 3/4 of the funding for lights and expanded seating has been raised

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    You guys should be the overwhelming favorite to repeat.
    That certainly brings its own form of pressure, but it must
    be great to be returning ?10? starters.

12. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    Jenna Richmond was the one senior starter.

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I haven't heard of any plans to for that. Do you have a link with more info? How big of a stadium could they reasonably fit there? Also, I wonder if UCLA baseball possibly getting kicked out of Jackie Robinson stadium will have any effect on it?

14. Cascadilly

Cascadilly Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Pacific Palisades
    You can get the information by contacting any of the Wooden athletic fund staff.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't even know what that is... I'm not a UCLA alum or anything. I was just hoping there was some web site with info on what they were wanting to do that I couldn't find with my attempts at googling for it.

16. BruBru

BruBru Member

Nov 7, 2011
    The ladies play the U20's today at the Olympic training facility in Chula Vista with Kate and D on the U20 squad. I don't think that any of the girls are gone for call ups otherwise. It should be quite a matchup!

17. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    U20s also have incoming UCLA frosh G. Matulich on roster (a U18 outside back called into U20 camp after the initial U20 roster was posted). As one of the youngest players there, she might not play against UCLA at all, but it would be kind of cool if she did. Of course, if she gets into the scrimmage against USC that immediately follows the UCLA scrimmage, she can get an early start on the local rivalry!

18. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    UCLA 2, U20 WNT 1.

19. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Awesome! U20's looking to be in a world of hurt heading to WC :(

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So the U-20s got beat by the U-23s... big surprise.

Gilmoy and lunatica repped this.
  21. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Agreed, not a surprise. UCLA has had talented rosters for a while combined with the fact this U20 team and coach aren't that good.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They are better than the 2010 effort with Leroux and Ellis on it.

Raises questions about her promotion to full team coach.

23. BruBru

BruBru Member

Nov 7, 2011
    UCLA is going to be a force, they are playing at a higher level than the conclusion of last season. I talked with someone who was at the 23 game, and her assessment is that the 20's are progressing pretty well, that they are definitely not the same team as a year ago against the 23's, by far.

24. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    This is getting to the point. The U20 NT should have on it the talent and coaching combined that can beat the UCLA's, the FSU's, the UVA's, the UNC's, etc... They do not have it at this point. They were not challenged at CONCACAF and have not won against any challenging teams. It's time to stop using the political favorites and the old standby's, some of whom have simply peaked and not progressed as others have. Not saying they are bad players- just that there are better players out there that combined could create a better team with better chemistry who should be able to beat any college team out there if they are to have a chance to compete at WC.

jimhalpert and midwestfan repped this.