Sunderland/Chelsea- 4/19 - Jozy bench

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by wixson7, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, let's have a poll! :whistling:
    (Sorry Mods!)

Oveki8 repped this.
  2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His trailing foot swept Altidore's left foot after Jozy had planted it.

Go check your replay.

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of you didn't see the other angle where it looks like Jozy's foot never got swept at all. In fact it looked like Jozy was going down as or before he stretched his foot out unnaturally and made contact with the defenders leg. There is another angle shown during the match where it looks like Jozy's leg got swept by the defender. I really think this was all about what angle the referee was standing at, but the assistant did flag it instantly and we don't really know what he saw. Assistants should wear camera glasses so we can cut to what they saw.

4. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No both Az and Jozy had their leading foot side by side on the ground.

It was the trailing foot from Az that swept Jozy's foot off the ground and caused him to fall.

Look at all the replays ... That is what the side line ref was waving all about.

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Kudos for jozy to win the PK. Glad he got the call because he was in no mans land, should've put it across the goal. With the call (and it was a valid penalty), he had to pull the ball back which stalls the break. Either way kudos for picking up the ball and driving to goal.

Besides that here are a few thoughts:

Good:
    - fantastic in the air, dare i say..best all year from him. Completely changed his jump timing, paying off.
    - 95' good hold up at corner of box and picks out teammate 35 yards away square to maintain possession.
    - the breakaway, why on earth didn't Colback not play him early. The 3 extra touches destroyed the play. When did get the ball he had no choice but to bring it back and play possession.

Bad:
    - flop in center circle after losing possession. Put it off his chest and tried turn turn for some reason. Loses the ball and explodes with a ramires touch. Embarrassing.
    - flop on the far sideline, tries to get the foul instead of maintaining possession.

Decent cameo, obviously PK was highlight...but without that it wasn't great. Big relief that he got on the field, hopefully increases his confidence,

6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The replay shows the striker awkwardly lunging at the defender and clumsily falling to the ground.

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Yep my bad. Saw they switched for formula 1. Laughed at the "tell the audience what a scouser is".. Good grief.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh ... Whatever you want to think is cool. The ref made the call and I believe completely correct.

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody from your position see the extra camera angles that weren't shown during the match? Because the poster you are responding to is responding to a camera angle NOT shown during the match. If they had shown one of the ones shown not during the match and not the one you are referencing almost nobody would say its a penalty. If they show the one shown in the match then everybody says, contact, penalty. So how do you reconcile two images that show distinctly different things?

You don't...you just say...well, depends on where you were standing at the time as to how you would call it.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two images don't show different things. It is just a different view. Lost in all this is the fact that Altidore was pivoting away from the goal with the ball because Az was defending by sliding in and Altidore did not have the confidence to shoot. He shifts the ball to the outside of his right foot (probably to cut it back with a Cruyff or to completely spin around and look for a teammate - he has zero confidence to go to goal and shoot) and as he plants his left foot and looks away Az sweeps his foot. Whether Az meant it or not he did it. It was too risky and it cost him.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I really can't handle this level of stupidity.

Game situation was not to take a shot. Playing keep away is all that needed to be done.

12. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Good to see Jozy just get on the field and be a part of some team success. Seriously.

He was bailed out by the penalty, and he was a bit lucky to get it, but he gets credit for being smart enough to stick his leg out once he started to slip.

He almost missed out on the penalty play because he was low pressing the defender who slipped. If the guy had just lost his footing, Jozy never would have gotten that ball, even though every other Sunderland player would have. It took a full on slip to ground for Jozy to barely have enough time to get on the ball.

(Basically Jozy doesn't use effort on low percentage plays. But when all your team gets is low percentage plays, the players have to go ahead and play for those. It's easy to sprint for 60/40 balls. It's hard to sprint for 20/80 balls, but Sunderland's forwards sort of have to do that. He still need to work on that I think.)

He won a nice header, and had one instance of good hold up play.

He kinda botched the 3 v 1. He wasn't the only one to err, but why he cut his run towards the only defender and took away the angle for the pass is beyond me. Pass should have come earlier, but Jozy should have stayed wide since there was already another teammate near the ball.

Once he blew the run, it was smart to just hold possession, but he could have gone to the corner himself. The keep possession thought was only after he Eddie Johnsoned himself into a dead stop in the box.

Still, has to be a positive to get on the field for a win. Great that he got a pk; sometimes a little good luck is nothing to be guilty about.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Azpilicueta had been pulling his shirt for a while already. When he lunged, Jozy changed the direction of the ball to cut inside, that's why his left leg went out, to make the turn. Had he not done it, Azpilicueta would have got the ball. But Jozy was too fast for him.

Then, it looks from a certain angle as if Azpilicueta's trailing foot got Jozy's left. Not 100% sure if it did, but considering all the shirt pulling going on before that action, I wouldn't be surprised if the linesman and ref were already predisposed to give a penalty given one more rough move by the defender.

Watch 2:10 on. The shirt-pulling was inside the box:

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  14. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. better to not turn over the ball and possibly cost your team 3 pts, and risk an ass-whooping from your teammates in the locker room like that WBA player a few weeks back
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Berahino-involved-dressing-room-bust-up.html

Winoman repped this.
  15. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a shit pen from Borini. He's lucky they didn't call for a re-kick.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Jozy told him to do it that way. I'm just assuming that some of the posters here will blame him for that.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't get this argument that Altidore stepped on Azpilicueta's leg. I suppose I should see this magical extra angle people are talking about but the description of the contact in this manner just makes me think "uh, yeah, that's a foul".

If you go to ground and a player with possession of the ball stumbles over you, or even steps on you without intent, but rather as part of his movement in possession of the ball, all you've done is foul him a little more clumsily than usual. Just cause you didn't plow through his leg doesn't make it that much more complicated. Azpilicueta's intent is certainly irrelevant though, just cause you don't mean to take a guy's leg out from under him and almost didn't doesn't mean that you didn't commit a foul when you ultimately cause him to trip.

WrmBrnr, manoa, ImaPuppy and 5 others repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Can you find me where "incidental contact" is referenced in the LOTG? Thanks.

Oh, and do you think maybe the fact that Jozy is your least favorite US player ever might be coloring your "assessment" of this situation.

You did know there were LOTGs right? There's a link and everything.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he is, but considering how long its been since Altidore has scored, Borini should have let him take it to get some of his confidence back. He earned the penalty. Why not let him take it?

20. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always a risk if you go to ground in the box.

Jozy.jpg

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, a question like that deserves an answer like this.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Altidore probably has more PK taking experience than Borini.

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Because any coach with half a brain will have already designated a penalty taker. And a team fighting relegation at the end of the season simply cannot risk having the wrong guy step up to the spot.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The numbers: He is 4 for 4 in his career (3 with AZ and 1 for the USMNT), but has not taken one in almost exactly year. Borini is 2 for 2 this season, his only two career PKs.

Like I said, though, I cannot quibble with Borini taking yesterday.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Altidore had taken a better pen, would it have counted as two goals?

I have a theory...all the stupid/crazy in YA that used to be confined to the Freddy threads has been loosed. Most of it has settled in Jozy threads.