34th Fixture: April 19th, 2014- Chelsea FC vs Sunderland AFC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 16, 2014.

1. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramires pisses me off so much.

I hope when van Ginkel returns that he does well enough to earn his way into the starting 11. I've been feeling for a while now that Ramires might simply not be good enough and/or he's too much of a liability.

2. CR7PT

CR7PT Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Mar 26, 2014
    Portugal
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The thing is, normally we aren't ice-cold in front of goal. We have no strikers and our top scorer didn't play. Besides, they had a 10-men defense when playing for the tie the whole game. Yes, we should have seized the opportunities, but if we lost, was because of the referee. If we tied, then yes, that would be our fault. At least that's my opinion.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, because he wasn't looking at it... he WAS looking at the guy clambering all over Eto'o which was a stonewall penalty. He had an excuse for that one, what's his excuse for the others?

Look, I agree Cris. The refs aren't responsible for our ineptitude in front of goal, but they ARE responsible for the dodgy decisions they've made in the past few weeks and the thing is, you and I BOTH know that, if we get a big call in the Liverpool game at Anfield which allows us to win the game and go on to win the league, (unlikely!), we'll never hear the end of it.

I mean, FFS... people are STILL droning on about one Ramires call for a penalty and that was MONTHS ago.

That's the annoying thing, as Fern says, the double standards.

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...really?

hudson hooligan repped this.
  5. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a list of all our losses this season in all comps:

Everton – Away – Premier League
    Basel – Home – Champions’ League
    Newcastle – Away – Premier League
    Basel – Away – Champions’ League
    Stoke – Away – Premier League
    Man. City – Away – FA Cup
    Aston Villa – Away – Premier League
    C. Palace – Away – Premier League
    Sunderland – Home – Premier League

The only losses I'm able to take on the chin are Everton and City. The rest of them were simply unacceptable, with or without the blunders of referees.

Imagine how much shorter that list would be if we had a potent striker AND Matic for all of this season.

BluePict, Cletis and Cris 09 repped this.
  6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know...it's a shame that some outcomes of matches are so heavily influenced by the ineptitude of refs. In the end, we could have been awarded a penner and missed. In the end, Schwarzer could have held on to the ball. In the Dean could have seen the Ram arm-swat and in the end we should have converted the number of times we had an open net or awesome 1-on-1's with the mediocre keeper.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would say the highlighted (bolded) cost us the title...not today's shitty ref performance.

Wrath and drjman repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In al honesty, you have to ask the question, would ram going off make any difference? I mean, really?

Anyway, over and done with now I suppose. I just hope some people remember this when we get a call. My guess is, they won't. :(

9. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Few points,

Their first goal was a joke. I understand Jose resting Cech, but Mark should have done much better to push it away. He looked inexperienced at times when the reason we brought him in is his experience. Maybe it's not all his fault since he rarely played this season and never experienced games with this much pressure.

The decision to call a foul on Matic who have the assist to JT was a joke. Caldwell dived. That would have put us up 2-1 and we would have been away with the game at that point.

Ramires should have been sent off. He is a joke. Maybe we would have won with him sent off then at least Sunderland would have more of the ball and the game would have opened up.

Our finishing is a joke. Eto/Ba had clear chances. Bane had a clear header he normally puts in. We didn't have Eden.

The PK was a horrible decision IMO. Look at that gif, altidore slips on azpi's leg. Maybe dean was trying to make up for the not sending off Ramires. We had a few clear pk shouts as well. Ramires had one, Eto got tackled down in the box and they had a clear handball that 50% gets called.

I was so pissed watching the match but it's games like these that hopefully next season we will have the firepower to put away.

We were never supposed to even be in the title race this season. 2nd and the CL will not be a bad finish.

10. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree.

For me, Villa and Stoke in particular were our worst losses.

Losing to Palace sucked but when I look at what Pullis has done with that side I feel less aggrieved by our loss.

11. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify: Jose didn't simply rest Cech. He was ill with a virus. :D

But you're totally right. It would be tough to expect Schwarzer to catch that shot because there was a lot of sting behind it. But as I'm sure Cech would've known, when you face a shot like that and you need to parry the ball, you parry anywhere except right in front of you. Schwarzer should have easily have tipped that around the post.
    I agree with everything else you say. Although 2nd place might be tough to manage if City win all their games.

And, hell, if (and it's a MASSIVE if) we won the Champions League this year, I would take that over winning the Premier League title any day, any year.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and, as I predicted earlier...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/19/chelsea-sunderland-premier-league-match-report

Azpilicueta's foul on Jozy Altidore was not clearcut, the linesman's consideration perhaps swayed by the fact the full-back had never managed to recover his poise having initially slipped on the touchline to liberate the forward. He slipped again as he closed down on the American with contact unclear, though the decision did prompt flashbacks to Ramires's stumble under pressure from Steven Reid that had earned a stoppage time reprieve in the home draw with West Bromwich Albion back in November.

Wow! I'd totally forgotten about that :mad:

fernb8 repped this.
  13. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #238 hudson hooligan, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Something else interesting worth noting:

Every single one of our league losses this season has come immediately before a Champions League game.

Every. Single. One of them.

Perhaps that's also symptomatic of our struggles this season, i.e., that we haven't been able to stay focused on the game at hand when instead we're looking ahead to other big matches.

Wrath, fernb8 and BluePict repped this.
  14. drjman

drjman Member+

Jul 28, 2010
    Southern California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely, a positive difference.

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    moving on

16. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is not one of the worst days for us - the most unjust or something like that - like some of the great games in the past where we were fcucking robbed. Today was just one of the saddest days for us. Sad. Sad day. Ho-Hum.

Yep. Moving on.

17. Nuckinya

Nuckinya Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been off Ramires for a good while now, but this game just cemented it. He has been an absolute liability almost every time he's stepped onto the pitch in this second half of the season. He should never play unless we are playing a 4-3-3 where we can surround him with 2 midfielders with some semblance of a footballing brain. Unfortunately for him, we like to play a 4-2-3-1, and he is just terrible playing as one of those 2 midfielders.

I appreciate what he's done for the club, for sure. Especially that goal against Barca in 2012. I'm happy to keep him as a backup/alternative for when we actually do play a 4-3-3, but outside of that, keep him far far away from our starting XI.

Also - what's up with Oscar? He's not a very good number 10. We should trial him next to Matic in our remaining Premier League games. He'd be better there.

Ps. Apologies if this should be in the transfer thread. I just put it here because of Ramires' atrocious game today.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just saw the ram incident again and, immediately before it, Larson, who's running behind him, takes a swipe at his trailing... that's a REAL cheat shot and Ram takes the swipe back with his arm. I thought the ref had missed it but, in fact, he's running immediately BEHIND the pair of them so must have seen ALL of it.

I think he thought it was simply a case of two fellas taking a lump out of each other and the one that started it, got the worst of the deal so let it go. It doesn't make it right and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean that Ram has got two brains to run together... but it wasn't as clear cut as I thought at first.

A better ref would have brought play back and given them BOTH a yellow.

Of course, it was Larson that went straight through the back of Ram when he was just about to head the ball into the net.

19. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Larsson kicks his ankles twice and then stamps the back of his calf and Ramires lashed out. Not saying that Ram should have not seen red but its not like he just elbowed Larsson for shits and giggles. Lets not forget that minutes earlier Larsson could have seen straight red for a potential DOGSO foul on Ram for the header.

I also enjoy how AJ got away with a very high and dangerous boot on Dave when if it would have been the other way around that Dave would have been at least booked.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I can get past the first five actually because I still think we were trying to find ourselves and Everton are a tough side to beat. Basel we were shell shocked and did not know how to react and Newcastle we just struggled to find ourselves. Stoke was one of those games where just could not get sorted and City we were very poor.

The last three stick out to me more than anything else- Villa was a grotesque robbery from Foy and we simply did not show up vs Palace followed by a combination of inept finishing and referring today. The two draws vs WBA and the draw vs West Ham also stick out to me more than the first five games listed above.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, except for the fact that EVERY manager in EVERY league in the world would do, (and, in fact, DOES do), pretty much the same thing when that sort of incident occurs. Sir red nose was a past master at it and it never did HIM any harm, did it.

We have a big game against Liverpool coming up and, before that, they've got an important away match tomorrow against a club fighting relegation. If Mourinho can apply some pressure to the refs, it might make a difference. I mean, I doubt it... but it might.

Wrath repped this.
  22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Think there is a little too much stock being put in MvG right now

I rate him but would rather have a sample of games in the Prem to judge him on

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    as for Ram- he is not a holding mid and has shown his best football in that role when used as a destroyer which serves little purpose when the other team is sitting off you not trying to do anything with the ball

I think our current midfield group is best suited for the 4141 or even a 41311

If we are going to continue with the 4231 then we have to find a partner for Matic because it is not Ramires or Lampard and I am sure of the long term stability of the Luiz experiment

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, just watching it again, it looks like Larson is trying to run ACROSS Rams path, behind him so I'm wondering if Ram thinks the guys trying to rake down the back of his calf again. I mean, it's not like he hadn't done it before, is it and, as you say, AJ had got away with cutting dave off at the knees earlier on with no card being produced. Well, more like the midriff but you know what I mean.

Still doesn't explain Ram doing that sort of brainless lashing out, but...

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm wondering if Jose is intending to play Frank against Athletico so gave him a rest today. TBH I think him and Matic are a better pairing against sides that bunker like sunlun anyway and, let's be honest, we SHOULD have had enough to beat them.