World Cup Travel - Internal Flights

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Pablinsky, Dec 12, 2013.

1. MFKS78

MFKS78 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The only time I see us crossing paths will be in Belo for the rd 16 which will be too late for the Costa Rica England game.

Though it looks like i have organised a ticket with Ipporto for the Iran V Nigeria game,

Bloke has agreed to sell it to me a Cat 3 group game for R$100 well below market rate so needs some recognition

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Finally got my refunds from TAM last Thursday. I started sending e-mails to the refunds@tamairlines address in early January only to have them bounce back despite assurances from the call in center that the problem had been fixed. Ten tried the international refunds e-mail address that generated an automatic "received, we'll take care of it response" but not action. Thanks to a bigsoccer tip I started using Twitter. They gave me another help e-mail address to send my refund request to and after several follow-up tweets asking about the refunds, they finally came through. Crazy (but sadly understandable) how difficult TAM makes it to get your money back on fully refundable tickets.

3. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    do avianca fly from Belo to Rio? According to decolar.com they do but the flight i found is not coming up as an option on avianca's website. In fact Belo (CNF) to Rio doesn't come up at all.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Same experience. Email bounced but twitter got refund in 3 days. Crazy.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  5. internet stranger

Nov 9, 2013
    Can anyone tell me why when I try to order a ticket in the Tam's site in portuguese, this gives me a certain price but when I try to order the same flight in the global site is twice the price?
    I can't order in the brazilian site because I don't have CPF, just don't understand why do i have to pay double.
    It happened to you too?

6. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    #581 jupal, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    it's called gringo tax and even if you enter a fake cpf it probably only accept br credit cards.... pretty sad but at least tam seems to be the only brazilian airline that does this

7. internet stranger

Nov 9, 2013
    Thank you for you quick answer.
    I couldn't believe they would go that far with kind of a gringo tax like this.
    I was born in Brazil, have national passport but don't have this annoying CPF.
    What a pity, Gol here i come... :cool:

8. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    Or azul/avianca :')

9. charles_316

charles_316 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Wow, I didn't expect internal flights to cost so much. I'm trying to find decent prices from Fortaleza to visit Rio but haven't found anything. I guess it's expected going into Rio

10. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use the Brazilian Expedia site to book TAM. Im American w/ an american credit card and had no problems.

11. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am looking at the Brasilian site now, and the CPF is optional. Maybe the order will go through fine without it?

upload_2014-4-18_12-12-16.png

12. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just booked a one-way azul flight from rio to brazilia for the quarterfinal for $100 usd. Patience paid off!

13. internet stranger

Nov 9, 2013
    WOW, just booked a roundtrip flight (GOL) Rio-Belo Horizonte for the semis, only for 160 Reais!!!
    Cheaper than bus! They have a promotion for flights for the next few days.

First, thank you for checking and trying to help. You are right, the CPF is optional but at the end of the order, they ask you to continue to the global site (if you dont have a brazilian cc) and then the price rises again...

Thank you all for the help.

14. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I noticed Tam and Azul also have promotions for cheap flights right now as well.

Sucks about the CPF number. I guess it may work if using the Brasilian Expedia site, like UrNumbrOneCrush mentioned. Good to know.

Flights right now on the only days I need to fly are a joke- a 1000% markup on flights from Cuiaba to Recife, the ONE day I can fly. Talk about extortion. Now contemplating not even going at all, because I am not paying $900 for a one way flight that costs $90 every other day. Shameful

15. internet stranger

Nov 9, 2013
    Thank you for the good advice.
    You are right, it's possible to book wirh Expedia without the cpf but- they take a 40 real comission. Still better price compared to the Tam's "gringo price" .

16. internet stranger

Nov 9, 2013
    I understand you. Same as hotels, not only you can see huge difference between regular season prices and wc prices, in most of the cases you can't even pay the extortion because the rooms are blocked (can't believe it's all sold out).

I just noticed that there is another brazilian company- Passaredo, maybe this can help you and other fans:
    voepassaredo.com.br

Good luck :thumbsup:

17. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Last month there was some discussion in this thread about Iguazu Falls and, after some deliberation, I've decided it seems too good to miss. I've picked out the 9th July as my arrival day and think I'll stay one night - spending two days at the falls. However, it doesn't appear to be so simple when considering the available flights.

According to SkyScanner, tt looks as though the earliest time I can arrive on the 9th in 12:26 and the latest I can leave on the 10th is 16:07 with TAM. Would this give me enough time?

There are more reasonable flight times available with Gol but they are almost double the price. Is there a chance of these prices changing/more flights being added?

Thanks

18. MFKS78

MFKS78 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mate I am doing Iguazu before WC.

I am doing 2 full days one either side. Staying 3 nights all up

If it is as good as it is reported why sell yourself short rushing through it??

Sort of thing you want to enjoy and saviour not spend half the day looking at your watch thinking " I have to be at the airport by 2pm"

The other thing with this place is accommodation is pretty cheap ( I got mine for about US $40 a night 3 and a 1/2 star) so might make more sense staying the extra day rather than paying the obscene prices in Rio

19. pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Club:
    FK Partizan Beograd
    How smart/or not smart of a choice is renting a car for a few days?

4 of us are watching a game in Rio on 18th at 4PM then we have a game to watch in Sao Paolo at 4PM on 19th. We were planning to fly, however flights are so expensive for those 2 days (400-500USD). We are thinking of renting a car for couple of days.

Few questions for people that live in Rio/SP area:

- How safe is it driving at night from Rio - Sao Paolo?
    - Are there gas stations available on the road frequently?
    - Do you think this road will be heavily police patrolled during World Cup?

Thank you.

20. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I think the answer for all three of these questions is: as much as you'll ever find anywhere in Brazil.
    This road is one of the best in the country. It really comes down to "should you be driving in Brazil at all"? I'm for it, but a lot of people would advise otherwise. Always remember you have the option of taking a coach, which have fixed prices.

21. pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Club:
    FK Partizan Beograd
    Hey Lucas,

Thanks for a quick answer. Bus takes about 9-10 hours and we really do not want to spend that much time on the road. We would rather get a car and drive for 5-6 ours, then be stuck inside of a bus.

However, we just want to make sure it is relatively safe to drive from Rio to SP if the roads are unknown to you? We are pretty much just worried about a random guy stopping us on the highway, pointing a gun at us and taking the car...

22. Memo Alfaro

Memo Alfaro Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fully agree. It's strongly recommended your take your time and spend at least one full-day in each side.

My friend went there and he regretted to rush it on a 2-day trip. Taking his advice, I'm staying two nights in Puerto Iguazu and 2 nights in Foz de Iguacu. 4-night hostel accommodation for less than USD $150 total

23. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I think once you're out of Rio (that can be a bit dangerous), you're fine. The road is straightforward and stopping cars on a highway like this is not a common crime.
    About buses, the thing is that you can get a sleeper bus during the night. You can rest, save hotel money and day hours. They're real good.

24. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucas,
    Can you recommend any bus companies?

25. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Between Rio and SP, 1001, Itapemirim... there are several companies, and they all have similar services, this whole sector is highly regulated. Usually, the more expensive the better, because there are tiers of service. But don't worry, it's never more expensive than ~150 reais, and the cheapest are half of this price.