Emerging Portuguese Players 2013/14 WC Year

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jun 30, 2013.

1. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That generation wasn't very good. Not sure how they made it to the final.

Like I said, SCP usually ends up on top in these sorts of things. But right now the U17's, U16's, etc are overwhelmingly Benfica. Not that it matters.

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    FPF is heavily Pro-Benfica

Winning at youth isnt important, what matters is developing the fundamental skills when they are young, and integrating them into the first team... its an entire process and nobody does it as good as...

O GRANDE SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

3. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Not that difficult. Young players need the opportunity to play at the next level. The better the competition, the better they develop. Second, they need a coach that is good with youth. Not all coaches are good with young players. Sporting have both of these things working for them. Benfica have the talent but have yet proven that they are willing to give the Portuguese youth that opportunity. Benfica are producing at the youth level, its the next stepp that has let its youth down.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Benfica sliced Madrid open at ease, it was impressive, should e a good final. At the moment I would defintey say that 1995,1996,1997 are Benficas ages group, 1998 is Portos. I honestly believe benfica is doing great things at Seixal and all we need is for one of youth to have a season similar to what William has had and the perception will change.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Do you think that JJ is the coach that will give these players an honest chance ? I have very strong reservations.

6. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I don't know, as Cancelo and Bernardo are more than ready for the first team but never seem to get more than extended squad calls.

7. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    I'd like to see Benfica do what Sporting have done recently. Try loaning some guys out. If these guys are not going to get a chance with the first team, loan them out like Sporting did with William at Cercle Brugges or Joao Mario at Setubal.

8. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I was really impressed with Nunes today, thought he was very dominant

9. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Did not see the game, but apparently Barcelona beat Benfica 3-0 to win the Youth Champions League.

No shame in losing to the best youth system in the world though.

10. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I watched the match and Benfica was the better side IMO, but Barcelona were clinical. Adama Traore was an absolute beast for Barca and was IMO the man of the match. If you take Traore out of Barca and Benfica were superior, their finishing however was horendous, Balde's missed penalty was the moment when i thought that its just not Benficas day. Guzzo missing was a big loss no disrespect to Gilson Costa, I personally also believe Hildeberto shouldve started ahead of Nuno Santos. Romario Balde and Goncalo Guedes were infuriating today, they are 2 of the best prospects Benfica has had upfront in a very long time but they were so immature in their play. I fully agree with them being left off the u19s roster as they are showing a lack of maturity to play up a year for the U19 Seleccao. Rebocho is being heavily touted at benfica as a future first team LB but im really not convinced and Portos Rafa at the same age is miles ahead of him.

i think they should be happy with the overall performance in this tournament and look to next year with optimism, some goode kids from the 17s mixed in with the current crop should be fine.

11. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nasty goal by André Gomes today against Porto.

Who does everyone prefer; João Mario, or André Gomes?

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Between the two it's a toss up at this point..I prefer Bernardo Silva to both but jesus hasn't given him a opportunity yet.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    AJAAHHAHAHAH

Next year the GRANDE SPORTING CLUBE will be in the tournament

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Sportings youth team next season isn't at Benficas level, if any of the Portuguese teams will win it next year it Will be Benfica

15. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Can someone explain with pictures to our resident special needs child that his post doesn't belong in this thread???

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL

Sure buddy

3 BALLON DORS

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

GRANDE CLUBE

18. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    B. Fernandes scores again vs Napoli.

19. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    André Gomes' golaço midweek.

Bruno Fernandes' goal today against Napoli.

20. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I did not see the game, but Special One's boy Gonçalo Guedes started for Benfica B yesterday.

21. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Perhaps you misread my post, not sure what ballon dors have to do with sportings juniores team for next season. The reality is that Guedes, Balde and hildeberto will all still be eligible next season and benficas Juvenis team is superior to sportings so I don't think its a long bow to draw to say that benfica will again be portugals best chance next season.

22. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    not sure if anyone has watched much of this kid but his style is very similar to Ronaldo, hopefully Benfica can hold off Milan and PSG from stealing him

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Liverpool are trying to lure Alfredo Silva away from Malaga, he turns 14 in October.

24. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That kid is Portuguese?? I saw a program on him in Portugal last year at the mall (so no sound), and I figured he was Spanish.

Why is he in Malaga??

25. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007