Sunderland/Chelsea- 4/19 - Jozy bench

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by wixson7, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    This is why god created the ignore list (not you, the other guy).

2. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ESPNFC Jose Mourinho praises his players, congratulates Sunderland, referee Mike Dean, and Mike Riley, then takes off. No questions.
    2:43 PM - 19 Apr 2014

@MiguelDelaney Mourinho's 'press conference' lasted about 2 minutes, 20 seconds.
    2:43 PM - 19 Apr 2014

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

3. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Jozy ultimately made the right move in not going for goal at the end there, I kind of wish he did. It would have been quite the capper on his day to score.

4. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    All players have the right to the ground anywhere on the pitch. The leg and foot essentially arrived simultaneously, causing one to become imbalanced. That's why it's incidental contact.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think he would have scored with a shot from that position on his weak foot? If you wish for anything wish for the pass to be earlier and better, that would have resulted in a goal.

wsmaugham, Winoman and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Yeah, the pass kind of made up his mind for him...

Winoman and EruditeHobo repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho: "My answer is simple and pragmatic. Congratulations to my players. They tried everything and left everything on the pitch. Secondly, congratulations to Sunderland they won and have three important points. It doesn't matter how and why.

"Congratulations to referee Mike Dean, his performance was really amazing and, finally, congratulations to [referees' chief] Mike Riley because of the way he organised things with the referees doing well according to their objectives."

MadRHatter repped this.
  8. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    You were actually contributing more to this thread when you were just randomly dropping in posts consisting entirely of "LOL". Seriously, as someone has already suggested, there's these things called The Rules of the Game you might want to familiarize yourself with before Brasil.

WrmBrnr and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  9. huckleberry123333

Jul 17, 2013
    Sounds like some of you think you shouldn't shoot unless it's an open net lol. First touch that ball should have been put on goal. I'd like to think Klinnsmann, a striker himeslef, would agree.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little bit of irony. Just a smidge.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mou is a master of the woe-is-me act. He could have his own AM radio show.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Was Borini not the designated penalty taker?

bungadiri repped this.
  13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    1-1 game at that time I'd agree 100%, but not in the 90' with a one goal lead, when eating clock is more important than taking a less than clear cut chance.

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Nobody gets more breaks than him. Was it AV that was robbed early this year against Chelsea? He's a great man manager, a good tactician, but a total douche, and I wouldn't want him coaching my team. He's the Bill Parcells of soccer.

15. apocow

apocow Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Well, he sorta had his own call-in show...

Winoman repped this.
  16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know enough about Parcells to agree with the analogy, but the rest of it works for me.

17. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Ball was played late and badly, took him away from goal, and allowed defenders to get back into the play.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is awesome. The pretzel bending people are doing in order to keep up their preferred narrative is terrific.

Maybe a confident, in form Jozy takes that poorly timed and somewhat poorly aimed pass and gets off a good shot. But to me, that play encapsulates the whole season. Jozy kinda messed up, sure, but by far the big problem on that play was the terrible build up. That was an awful 3v1 break. Just awful, that the best chance would have been a defended chance from a relatively poor angle.

Bees Knees and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  19. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Oh please begin, we await your ruling.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  20. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Enjoy your weekend.

21. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to make snarky comments like "this is so wrong, i don't even know where to begin" in a forum devoted to meaningful match analysis, it's not a great move to take your ball and go home when someone reasonably challenges your remark.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    took it to the other thread. cheers

23. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    It's quite amusing, this mix of horror and guilt over Jozy's earning a penalty for his side. I've seen a dozen PKs called in the BPL, The Chamionpship, Bundesliga, Lige 1... that were less a penalty than this, just this week! You can start with Stokes today and go back or forward, on and on.

24. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely.

The announcers and all conclude that he planted his foot on Az and therefore not a proper penalty.

Fact is that Az's trailing foot swept Jozy's left foot from the turf and he went down.

Who knows how this season will end up for Sunderland.

25. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think whether it was a penalty or not is in many ways less relevant than whether or not Jozy did well to earn the penalty and I think Jozy earned the penalty. I also think from the different angles after the game that it likely wasn't a penalty and Jozy saw the sliding tackle and put his leg out while going down. So it was better from Jozy than I thought it was at first (at first I just thought that Jozy pounced on the ball after a slip and was about to blow the chance when the defender makes a dumb challenge and catches his foot). Honestly, this game was much the same as the rest of the season for Jozy and Sunderland. A few 50/50 balls with nobody around, crosses that go far post when he's near, etc.

One thing that can really be taken from the game was watching the difference on the corners. On Chelsea's corners the players all moved in coordination and created space for each other. When Sunderland got a corner with Jozy on the players moved at different times, some (Jozy!) moved before the kick was taken and then just stood and watched...their corners looked just as amateurish as their build up play.