News: Tannenwald: Atlanta in as #22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lfcli30, Apr 6, 2014.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This thread is so awesome. I hope Freddy Adu is their first signing.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious clean-up done. Keep this on topic.

Sounder, jayd8888, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aww I think I missed it.

Any fun?

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for me.

ImaPuppy, JasonMa and crazypete13 repped this.
  5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #1055 tab5g, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    No team would be able to stop the Atlanta duo of Adu and Hazard.

If Clint Mathis isn't their first head coach (or maybe an assistant to Josh Wolff) I will be severely shocked and disappointed.

(And yes, I know that S.C. and Georgia are separate states.)

6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find Tab5g in this PIC....

10275445_10152339592948887_1209933493650568576_o.jpg

7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1057 Fiosfan, Apr 19, 2014
  8. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #1058 zensum, Apr 19, 2014
    Congrats to Atlanta...

Everything seems fine with Blank and his vision.

The stadium downsizing likely works. Vancouver is the new model for football stadium downsizing with even the Vikings now contending their new stadium has "Vancouver like" downsizing potential.

Hope Garber worked out an acceptable field compromise...

In this country just about everyone uses Field Turf. Titi won't play in Seattle/New England/ Vancouver but will and has played in Portland...Field Turf all. I remember here in New York Field Turf was installed in the Meadowlands around 2000(?) and after the first season the Jets and Giants decided to change its nature to make it play flatter and faster (everyone wants their outside defenders to be able to turn the corner and get to that #10 guy). Don't know exactly what they did? compress it? cut the synthetic blades? both? but it certainly turned into a different playing surface. Has Blank agreed to acceptable field characteristics and maintainance? I certainly hope so.

Would name the team Atlanta Falcons SC since the stadium will almost certainly be full of Falcons FC colors/logos.

On to Miami and Minneapolis - St Paul...then target Carolina (complete(?) South) / St Louis / Calgary (complete Canada with a Mountain location) / Arizona (non-Texas Southwest) for 25/26/27/28. From this point forward with "final" league design within sight everything should be Seattle/Houston/Philly-like, targeted locations with proactive league search for investors/solutions.

9. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watch the press conference. Blank seems very passiniate about this.

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Come on, man.

You get in the way you can fit in. An NFL owner's money is as good as anyone else's, and the idea that association with an NFL team is a bad thing is a lot of handwringing. It would have been nice if the Silverbacks could be the MLS team, but since they aren't, they can serve as a feeder team of sorts. Nothing wrong with that.

Again, how you fit in. Soccer's going to have to adjust in places where grass is not a wise financial choice.

Yeah, that, too. For a true national league, having a team in every region beats not.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  12. The Frisco Kid

Jan 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What pleases me the most is that I talked to someone from Atlanta who said that Blank if well thought of and will handle things well for the team.

He is NOT another Robert Kraft (thank God!).

That was my biggest worry by far.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to say the right things now. I have to see the commitment before I believe it. I just don't buy the sudden committed soccer fans after decades of not caring until your new stadium could use extra tenants.

I understand the reasons but the league has taken massive risks with NYC2, Atlanta, and the pending announcement of Miami.

Q Exp repped this.
  14. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody explain in baby terms exactly why they can't make Field Turf as bouncy or soft as real grass? (Assuming that's the reason why real grass is preferred? If not correct me.) It's not rocket science, yo? And even if it was, couldn't a billionaire building a new stadium wave the green (so to speak) and encourage the makers of this stuff to put out a better product?

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They can get somewhat close, see Portland's turf. But turf that is designed more for football is harder so that it plays faster.

Turf technology has come a long ways. When the first generation of FieldTurf replaced the old school Astro Turf, that was a huge upgrade, and today's FieldTurf is much better than it's first generation. Will be interesting to see what the next generation of turf is that is being developed.

16. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Vancouver has had a pro soccer team playing in either the first or second division every year since 1974... save for a couple of seasons. In many of those seasons, the team was known as the Whitecaps. Atlanta doesn't have nearly as deep of a heritage. Also, Atlanta isn't the only North American city with major league teams with severe traffic issues. However, compared to many of these cities, their support of their teams are generally tepid at best.

It's because of these reasons that I just don't believe that Atlanta is a great market for MLS. I hope I am proven wrong.

17. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    if thats what you think, you haven't been paying attention. blank has been involved and in talks with MLS for years.

18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly but nothing to me suggest it's anything more than him trying to maximize revenue out of the new stadium, why wouldn't he try? A lot of these new stadium projects use the carrot of MLS to help sell the overall project which main focus is A. football.

I like Blank, he's one of the good owners but I'm not interested what he claims he'll do, I want to see action.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, have you held other expansion candidates to this standard, or just Atlanta for whatever reason?

20. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    you seem too quick to make a negative assumption about his motivations, but want to see action. why not stay neutral and see what he does?

21. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it pertains to MLS why I should give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Blank a good NFL owner, we'll see if he makes a good MLS owner. I get why MLS are pursuing expansion in the south and targeting markets like Atlanta or Miami but supporters of these clubs can't force neutrals to be as enthusiastic and optimistic as themselves. I seriously hope Atlanta works but for so many reasons I have concerns.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first thing I thought when I heard about the ATL getting a team.

23. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    MLS has taken massive risks since the very first day and will continue to do so until the end of time.

24. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and some have failed, so I don't see why people have such an issue with people voicing legit concerns.

25. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Atlanta doesn't have nearly as deep of a heritage? It looks like the people of Atlanta off and on since 1967 have had a pro soccer team to support.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sideline/n...ccer-history-what-might-citys-new-mls-look-be

Atlanta Chiefs (NPSL/NASL) - 1967-1973, 1979-1981
    Atlanta Apollos (NASL - Chiefs, under new ownership) - 1973
    Atlanta Attack (NPSL) - 1989-1991
    Atlanta Ruckus (A-League) - 1995-1998
    Atlanta Beat (WPS) - 2009-2011
    Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) - 1999-present