Dash general news

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 28, 2014.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I can't think of a player who has had such horrible injury luck.

2. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Stuart Holden on line 1.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know Brittany Bock and her family. Unfortunately I witnessed her arm injury in Seattle last season when Sky Blue played Seattle at Starfire Stadium. She barely went in after recovering from another injury previously and within minutes broke her arm.
    Now this. She barely played a few minutes in Houston's opening home game.

One of nicest kids, one of the nicest families you will ever meet.

I feel so bad for this great kid.

4. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Maybe the nicest kid I have ever met! what a wonderful person and player she is.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ohai has a deal with Puma I guess
    [​IMG]

6. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Have heard she is on board with Puma and photo shoot to come, good for you Kealia!

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #57 holden, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Nothing to guess about:

Really surprised. She's worn Nike as far back as I can remember, and just recently got a customized Nike CTR360 Maestri boot, so I thought she must have some relationship with them.

South American repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

She wore Nike because UNC is a Nike school.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And she wore Nike with the national team too. And now I'm sure you'll say, "Well US Soccer wears Nike," but so do the Dash... And now you're gonna say, "well she's a professional and can get a sponsorship from whomever she likes." Which, yes, I'm very well aware of. I was just surprised that she just got a customized boot from Nike (after she was done with UNC, and US Soccer did not provide customized boots to anyone else at the U-23 tournament) and is now going to Puma.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As I see it, marketing shoes is the only endorsement opportunity she has. Nike is the league Sponsor and players are required to wear Nike gear, the sole exception being a player who has a contract with another shoe company, and possibly keeper gloves. The league and teams reserve all other rights to licensing merchandise.

Nike might have made a bid, but she will already be wearing most of their gear.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Are you sure that's the case? I just wonder because some players don't seem to have a contract with any company and go back and forth between shoe brands. Tymrak, for example, has worn Adidas with FCKC and Nike with FCKC and she's worn Adidas with the USWNT and Nike with the USWNT. Toni Pressley also wore the Pele Sports Trinity SheOne last season, and I doubt she had a contract with them.

That's true. Puma probably offered more money for her since they don't currently have any USWNT players.

12. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Heard Puma was very interested in Ohai and their new clothing line including non soccer gear. Got to give it to you holden I would have never identified Nike CTR 360 Maestri customs that fast!

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #63 Cliveworshipper, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    You would have to see the player agreement for the exact wording.

The shoe thing is a special deal. Players even at NCAA Nike schools could use other brands if Nike couldn't provide shoes that fit or weren't orthopedically correct. It could be why Ohai had special shoes with the u23's. I know one player who had to show a good faith effort to wear Nike before she got clearance to wear other shoes. Apparently they didn't think it worthwhile to make her a custom pair. ( and I think you bring your own shoes to the u23's)

So I think the nwsl prefer you wear Nike and will provide them. If you want other shoes you are on your own.

And I think that even with non-kit apparel ( for instance, casual wear while traveling with the team), the player has to get an ok from the league to display any logos.

Allocated players with Nat contracts are of course different. Let's not forget this is a two tier league.

But Nadine is displaying her Adidas gloves, and I think shoes. I have no idea what Kerr is wearing.

[​IMG]

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The U23 r so anonymous u could dress them as a quiddich team and no one mention it.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #65 holden, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Well, I noticed that she was wearing something different when the "U.S. U-23 WNT Preps for Six Nations Tournament" video came out (you can actually see her wearing both her old Tiempo Clash and the new boots at different times in the video). I thought they were CTR360s (it helps that that's what I currently have), but I wasn't 100% sure as I knew there was no release in that colorway. So I got some help in the soccer boots forum's player spotting thread.

Yes, that's what I thought it was like. I know that MLS is that way; they will provide Adidas cleats, but players are free to bring their own.

16. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    News flash......... the players do not get free gear. Uni yes..... cleats no.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Source?

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #68 newsouth, Apr 19, 2014
    of course the players get gear, since most of them post the photos online. the sponsored athletes get boots. cuellar and mewis I have posted their shipments. i can't say the $6000 players get boots but nike does get them a nice box of overstock gear. o_O

[​IMG]

Cuellar

[​IMG]

Mewis

Some players from the NWSL last season posted Nike boxes.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, yeah. But that also extends to the other YNT's. I recall Dicicco's final report included a letter he sent reminding players to bring their own shoes and shin guards.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In a related question..do the U23s represent the US in the Pan-Am games?

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Makes sense, since she'd just be clustered with Morgan, Sydney, etc. They're all in the same pier group. Good deal if Puma wants her to model women's athletic wear also. Looks wise she's as good looking or better than Morgan and Sydney. If I was Dunn's agent, when she is healthy, I'm market her to a Nike competitor. Her upside could be nasty over the years and she has the tools like Ohai to be a primary soccer athlete for company. If Press gets her act together she could fit in the group also.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    Is puma coming back into woso? That might be a good thing. Didn't they have a deal with wps which they didn't bother to renew?

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

When it was in Brasil in 2007 they sent mostly u20 players and an overage player ( Noquiera?) in perpetration for the 2008 u20 WWC. They lost 0-5 to Brasil's full National team with Marta in the final.

I think they also competed with u20's last time and DNQ'd.

24. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    #74 South American, Apr 19, 2014
    Crystal Dunn has it all and on top of it she is seriously funny! I see her doing commercials..

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They were the kit supplier and a sponsor every year for WPS (in the last season they were even running commercials during Fox Soccer's WPS game of the week). I don't think they were even considered for the NWSL, though. I think US Soccer made the decision to use Nike since that's what they already use for the NTs.