Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Dude, really?

Count his playing and starting minutes and compare with guys like Lauth and others and tell me they are even close. Wood's playing minutes and start time is no where near the same as has been given to other players. To say otherwise is simply wrong. When he starts getting as many chances to start and fail as Lauth or Adlung or Stoppelkamp or whomever, then you might have a point. Until then it's just your axe against Americans to grind.

Sandon Mibut and naopon repped this.
  2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno, in the last few matches Bobby seems to be better than I expected out of a 2.Bundesliga benchwarmer. As in, he seems to possess some modicum of athleticism and skill. Whether he ever progresses beyond this level is an open question, but that's more than can be said for the alternatives. As for Lauth, the club may be finally writing him off as a fully depreciated asset...didn't the TV guy comment on him being snubbed again at half-time?

Tom Collingsworth and LoewenBoy repped this.
  3. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Well said.

Open minds can see the talent he has. Agree on whether he can build on that, but to evaluate that he needs a decent coach and a decent shot at starting time in real matches to show what he can do. If he fails, he fails. But he clearly has not had the same chances as others. Don't know if he will get them at 1860 either.

Tom Collingsworth and naopon repped this.
  4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    von Ahlen playing Bobby for 45 mins as a CF was quite interesting from this thread's perspective. It's definitely more tactically significant than giving him 7 minutes on the wing and telling him, OK go make some Scheisse happen, whatever. He doesn't have prototypical CF height at 5'10" but has a pretty solid frame - if he had stayed in the States I imagine he would have made a good high school running back.

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bobby is a talent, that is correct. He is 21 and hasnt made it to become a starter at a 2nd Buli club. Under various coaches, in different set-ups, every year competing against other players. Bobby is the reminiscencs of Manuel Schäffler who everybody thought would replace Benny Lauth someday, now he's benchwarmer for an average 3rd league side. For two years now we are waiting for his breakthrough. Since Alex Schmidt's days he belonged to the core of the first team getting playing time regularly and got a few games starting upfront. That's a fact. Did he take his chance(s)? This season 20 games, 15 subbed in, 4 subbed out, 548 minutes and what did he make out of it? 2 assist.....548 minutes playing time and all he got out if was 2 ASSISTS!!! :eek: You can complain about others getting more playing time but if you dont get the playing time you supposedly deserve and that under 3-4 different coaches then that's the message itself. I dont see the development that is need of him over this time period of two years esp. if you take his very short appearances where he botched some of our chances on the counter. That's simply not enough for what his club asks of a 1st or 2nd choice striker sub. He's turning 22 soon. I think it would be better to dissolve the contract or loan him out to a 3rd Liga side. Sorry, but that's just reasonable - even though I wish him the very best for his career.

6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, obviously I haven't followed the entire 1860 season. But if you narrow the scope to 2.BL matches, Bobby has 452 minutes in 18 matches this season, or approximately the equivalent of 5 full matches. Apparently he's had a lost season of sorts, and there were reports that he had issues going into the winter camp...but would you write him off on the basis of those 452 minutes, most of which came in the 1st half of the season?

When I originally heard about this kid last summer, I was kind of puzzled at Klinsmann/Herzog bringing in an unknown 2nd division player to the senior NT, even just for the "experience". Now that I've seen him a few times I see some talent there...what do you think is the issue here?

Tom Collingsworth and LoewenBoy repped this.
  7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Exactly. Spot on.

The issue here is W/B will pick any US player and treat them like crap. He's passive/aggressive like that. The fact is, once you read the pathetic attempt at using stats like he did, that Bobby has not gotten -- and has never gotten -- the number of starting chances any of the other players have gotten. Period. As you correctly point out he's gotten a handful of full games in total. Strikers need to start games to get their rhythm.

What W/B also fails to mention is that Bobby was facing a career ending injury not too long ago, so,the fact he's even playing is a miracle. You have to look through W/B's hatred for Americans when he posts. He never liked Cooper and now has turned his vitriol on on Wood.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Trappatoni once said: If you opponent has the ball, you always have to ask yourself: why?" Why only 542 minutes? Why no breakthrough under each of four coaches one of which was a pretty big fan of him. A club like 1860, in the persuit of promotion, needs strikers that score 5-15 goals a season and b, impact players called "jokers" that can change the game in our favor. Bobby, as a young prospect as to earn his way into the team - mostly by scoring goals. Bobby didnt. We need players who put the usual starters under pressure. Heck, Benny Lauth didnt score for over 1000 minutes and Bobby didnt even make a starting spot which could be due to a, the coach doesnt like him or b, he didnt appeared to be an alternative in training.

So, yes Id write him off from 1860s perspective. But doesnt have to mean he wont make a decent player someday. Just not now. Not at 1860, I fear.

I could get into other 1860 players of other nationalities as well but there is just the YA board in this forum. Or where can I find the Manuel Schäffler thread?

9. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Kenny Cooper would drive anyone mad, regardless of nationality. :D

A 6'3"/6'4" guy with quick feet who's built like a tank and has the requisite skills to be the ideal target striker but seems to think he's a winger. o_O

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Agreed. But most people would let the guy get off the plane first before calling him useless. ;)

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bobby starting vs Bochum.

Club veteran Benny Lauth on the bench for the moment in his last home game for 1860.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I am surprised MvA left Lauth and Biero out. Seems he's starting guys he wants to showcase for mgmt. I would have started them but I suspect he wants to give them the second half on the pitch.

Imagine Biero will leave it all on the pitch.

14. Floormaster Squeeze

Sep 27, 2007
    Some Hill, VT
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Botswana
    Yep. And Lauth gets a nice goal in his last few minutes at the Allianz.

15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How was his over play today?

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he played well. Did what is expected of a striker these days: running and pressing the opponents CBs. Some good link-ups falling back into midfield. Unselfishly gave the assist to Osako when he was alone in front of goal. Was subbed cause Lauth was given a farewell game. Grade: 2.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah sounds like he did good then. Did he test the keeper a lot? Hopefully this is a sign he's becoming more consistent and progressing.

18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    They aged about as well as you can for a meaningless game. ;) Nothing too outstanding but they did not suck.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing about Bobby is he is clearly not all too dangerous infront of goal.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de...860.cbb8c25a-bed1-430d-9823-a263ddbd49d0.html

1860s new sport ceo Gerhard Poschner on Bobby and next season:
    Only one of four nominal strikers in the squad is going to play in Giesing after this summer: Bobby Wood. Just this Sunday the 21-year-old got the start instead of Benny Lauth. Gerhard Poschner thinks a great deal of him although he has not made his breakthrough in 2nd Buli(just 3 goals in 43 2nd Buli games): "I believe he doesnt know how strong he really is. Bobby is in control of his own destiny. He has to show every day what he is made of and how he can bring his qualities on the field. And, he needs to be constantly working on himself."

Poschner thinks Wood could blossom in the new system. "In our current system Bobby cannot completely contribute his qualities cause he can only play upfront. But in a system with three forwards he could play all three positions." Of course not alone, not all at once.

21. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From what this says and you say about how dangerous he is around goal it sounds like winger suits him better. .

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Go back in this thread 25 pages or so. Ive been saying for almost two years now Id like to see him as winger.

SUDano, soccersubjectively and Winoman repped this.
  23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    He's considered an "all arounder" up front. Wing, striker, AM. Depending on the formation and tactics he plays better in certain roles. He is best at winger BUT not in a 4-4-2 formation. He'd be an excellent attacking wing in a 4-3-3 but that is not used that much right now. In the 4-2-3-1 he can play outside or AM or up front.

It is pretty disingenuous to say Bobby is not good in front of goal. If you look at last year's playing time (714 mins) and divide by the number of goals (3) you end up with a goal every 238 mins. Not great, BUT...when you compare to Benny Lauth who had 2435 mins and 12 goals, you get an average of a goal every 211 mins. Not much better, huh?

And when you consider that Bobby only started 6 of those 15 games, whereas Lauth started all but one of his matches, the whole argument of playing time falls on its face. Very few strikers can come on as "Jokers" (German term for coming off the bench and scoring). Most strikers needs to play regularly to keep that confidence up. And as we have even seen with Osako, missing "sitters" is not limited to just Bobby Wood.

Now, can Bobby play at this level? Sure, but how good is he? I don't think that's been determined. That can only come with playing time...and not just being subbed in either. We shall see if the new coach shared Poschner's view. ;)

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bobby starting vs Union Berlin

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby chases down a long ball and forces Union to give up a corner kick, off which 1860 scores and takes the lead.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.