Look on the Bright Side: Team Germany

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Micol, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huh, improve or be dropped...:confused: lol. With far less efforts on goal during open play scenarios, Popp's still converted more clear cut opportunities than the not so prolific Sasic in recent games lol.

So if anybody's deserving/undeserving reputation is providing them with relentless chances to succeed within the national team, it's not been Popp...;)
    Cough Cough, I think Mittag would contest that claim...:whistling:; plus I would also think Bremer's got a long way to go before she could consistently start ahead of another excellent teenage forward like Hegerberg too.

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1078 hotjam2, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    I was hoping too that Mitag could show what she's got(with out Sasic in the lineup)in the Ireland game, But it don't always work out that way(it was Lotzen & Leupolz that saved that game).
    Neid probably knows right now that the center forward spot is her weakest link. But she still got over an year to figure out who's right one for the job. Sasic is most likely only the caretaker(I know, lol, lol, lol) but Neid did get a heavy dose of criticism at the last wc, for using Prinz and it probably still in the back of her mind. Even though she keeps Sasic mostly in the dtarting lineup it also seems like the CF spot has become more inter changeable with Sasic stepping aside to the left, so somebdyoelse can occasionally make runs through the middle

It don't help that clubs don't see it that it her way. As mentioned all ready, Bremer is not going to play forward at Potsdam. But watching the Freiburg/Essen Cup game the other day, Leupolz(so brilliant in the last two NT games) is playing holding mid. while the fwds on her team upfront blew incredibly easy chances. Or Laudehr, playing every which way but loose on Bell's Frankfurt team.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But it's one game lol... one game where the entire team looked like it was playing a dour pre world cup friendly, not an important WC qualifier lol.

Mittag for one truly important game in the Euro's vs Sweden though, was fantastic in all the ways Sasic wasn't, over the course of every game that entire tournament...:whistling:, but one average team display vs Ireland, and now Mittag's supposedly wasted her lone opportunity to be given more time as the teams main forward lol...:confused:
    The more I see Leupolz, the more I see a real deal potential threat to current Keßler & Goeßling partnership at the heart of Neid's future mid-field plans...:sneaky:

Deceptively quick and robust, strong technique, with an already impressive ability to read and adapt to the flow of a game, Leupolz a perfect fit to become a soon to be stand out box to box CM for the national team, and will only get more opportunity to showcase why with her increased exposure too.

So with Kulig already stating she's out of football for the foreseeable future, I think Leupolz will eventually compete to play in her old position, with the likes of Bresonik, Hendrich, and Marozsan, fill in whenever needed, as Elsig or Magull push to become potential WC wild cards.

I'm still wondering when, and where, little Simic fits in to all of this though...:unsure:

5. Big-Fil

Big-Fil Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Its 101 Germany that players' playing positions in clubs have nothing to do with their NT positions and vise versa. The NTs see Bremer as a forward. She'll keep playing there for the U20 and obviously for the full NT. Wherever Potsdam player her is irrelevant to DFB teams.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just read that Lina Bresonik has resigned from the NT. So does this mean Henning will get the starting nod? Yet surprisingly Kellermann has only started her in only 4 out of the 15 Bundesliga games for Wolfsburg so far this season.

Perhaps Goessling(who's played that spot before) could be persuaded to go back there? Thus Maro can take over holding mid, and finally Simic can make her debut AM(this would be my preference!)

or

Laudehr can take over(since she seams app to playing any position & start teen sensation Melanie Leupolz in her place at left wing?

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    oops goofed on this one, we still got the currently injured, Linda Bartusiak at the that cb spot. Well nice try! anything to get Simic on the team, eh?

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Without Lina Bresonik and Linda Bartusiak wie could still use Celia Wensing or Nadine Peter as CB.

Smulan, jocasta and Micol repped this.
  9. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Er... Linda Bresonik is in NO WAY a central defender ;)

Where have you seen that she resigned from NT anyway ? I would need the source. Thanks !

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Since I was just about to post this anyway, here goes.

Gromit06 repped this.
  11. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Danke schön !:)

12. Big-Fil

Big-Fil Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Where and when was Bresonik ever a CB? Neid played her twice or so in defense but on the flanks.

I wish her all the best. She wasn't one of my favorite players but she did so much for the NT and deserves a recognition for that.

Gromit06 repped this.
  13. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    As I already wrote it before, I can only agree with your first part.

About the second too, but I must precise that Linda is one of my very most favourite player ;)

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really thought that Bresonik would play a major role in Neid's WC plans, but she probably best assess everything about her decision, when she highlights the progress made by a new young core within the national team, that was able to win another (but this time unlikely) Euro, without needing the major senior figures like her self guiding the way.

So with the latest crop of female German talent, now appearing to be coalescing into something potentially special, seeing the last of the out-fielders from the highly dependable core of consecutive WC winning teams, now making way for the likes of Luepolz, Lotzen & Co, for me is a truly admirable/healthy perspective for a top player to have at this stage of her career.

Plus, at least this squashes any potential arguments with Marozsan, about who should be wearing the national teams #10 jersey lol...:rolleyes:

Gromit06 repped this.
  15. Hurlamaboc

Hurlamaboc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Sad to see Bresonik retire but I do think it is probably the right time. She was so dignified about it as well unlike some players who try to hang on past their prime.

On another note I think everyone is being a bit pessimistic about Popp. I was at the Ireland game live and on pitch, she actually looked the best sub, she was constantly running into the right areas, she looked skilled on the ball (unlike Marozsan who was awful that day) no body seemed to pass her the ball though even when she was in excellent positions to attack. Lot zen didn't look good at all live yet when I watched the match back on TV it was the opposite. It's weird what you can't see on TV. About her goalscoring record- I think its quite impressive for someone who has mainly been a sub, she is only a few goals behind Mittag in much less appearances.

I wouldn't complain too much about the Sasic situation when Krahn is still playing regularly. Why? Why does Neid still play her, even when Wensing plays at her most nervous she still manages to look a more reliable defender- at least she has pace!

Just to be controversial, I think that Lotzen and leupolz are both overrated. They just don't do it for me at all! I don't know who I'd like to see play up front- anyone but Sasic I suppose.

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :thumbsup:... I also often find myself watching the spaces as much as the players during televised/live games of football too, and it's true when you mention the runs missed by both cameras and team mates, whenever people find themselves assessing forwards as top/elite level players within various systems of play.

So it's usually things of this nature which leaves me frustrated with the sometimes... lackadaisical contribution of a #10 like Marozsan; when clearly she's been given a defined role for a team based around movement and precision passing, but still remains the key towards a lone forward system working correctly too, using her individual ability/intelligence, to float between spaces the camera more often than not misses, as team moves gradually build out from the back.
    LOL, no, I think your right if you compare them with creative contributions made by Alushi and Laudehr in the teams wide forward roles; as neither Lotzen or Leupolz can really match the overall production rate of their more experienced peers.

However, I feel a lot of this has to do with both Lotzen and Leupolz playing in new/unfamiliar positions to the ones we know they would prefer to play. Meaning that with a little more time, we'll probably see both of them eventually moving in to different roles to the ones we see them in right now anyway.

17. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    "Someone named Zietz"? Is this irony? I can't tell.

18. Big-Fil

Big-Fil Member

Sep 10, 2008
    That's what I thought when I watched the game live. I was impressed with Popp the most and at the same time was so furious how her teammates ignored her and preferred to pass the ball to any player but her. But to be honest, Popp can play way better. That's my problem with her. I always feel she can do better. She's a hard worker, I like that in her. But she often forgets her other strengths and goes into vicious cycle of tackles, arguments with the referrers and going down way too easily looking for fouls.

As for Krahn, I feel like I wasted a good amount of my life complaining about her. I made peace with myself and stopped talking about her like she doesn't exist because I know Neid will play her forever. Though Wensing for me is worse. The fact that she played a lot with the NT and got Neid's trust and still is nervous as hell every time she plays is a big red flag. Not to mention the fact that I don't think she's becoming a better player "growing and gaining experience" compared to the players her age in the NT.

19. Hurlamaboc

Hurlamaboc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I agree with these two points as well. I feel Popp was unfairly built up as the new Birgit Prinz before and after the World Cup. I think the pressure got to her especially considering how well she was playing before the World Cup and how she has played since. I wouldn't give up on her just yet, she has only just turned 23 still plenty of time to develop. Nobody would have said Kessler and goessling would be mainstays in the NT 4 years ago.

With Wensing I find her frustrating for the NT, she played so good with Wolfsburg last year (not as good this year) she is very talented and capable of performing in big games at underage level, her headers make her aThreat from set pieces, yet whenever she plays with the seniors she looks terrified. Her passing goes all over the place, she slips around the place like Bambi on ice, yet she can play so well at other times. Still take her over Krahn.

Gromit06 repped this.
  20. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Yes, I totally agree too with what Big-Fil and Hurlamaboc said about Poppi. It's a bit mysterious how she evolved since the WC, I don't know why. She seems to have changed her way, her style of playing. But as it was said, she's still young. In WfL she has the shadow of La Martina and Conny and maybeshe is a bit inhibited by their presence, as she is maybe by Mittag and Sasic with the NT ? I don't really believe in what I've just written, it's pure hypothesis, because there is a mystery...

And it's the same mystery about Wensing, right. For me, last year, she was the best Wolfsburg's player with Goeßling and Keßler, and I elected her MVP of the CL's Final vs Lyon.
    As for Krahn, I am a bit biased towards her, so it's hard to remain objective. I always liked her, even if I am aware of her weaknesses. But I also remember that just before Euro, people (German fans mainly) complained and screamed against Angerer-Bartusiak-Krahn who were all supposed catastrophic... Well, just one goal taken... Here, there is no mystery. ;)

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1096 Batfink, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    It's pretty simple really. She doesn't get to play as the teams focal point in attack any more.

Now, whenever I see her with the national team, Popp's forced to play out wide, or in the support role to Sasic or Mittag. And while I'm not able to see much of her at WOB, the same thing seems to be happening there for her right now too, as it's Müller who clearly remains the most important attacking figure within that team.

So give her a central role where she's made to feel the #1 goalscorer again, and I'm pretty sure over time Popp regains some of her old Duisburg/U-20 wnt momentum.
    lol. Given the often calamitous nature of Germany's pre Euro's defending, I think it was only fair back then that all three of Angerer-Bartusiak-Krahn be criticised for there not so convincing match day efforts. However, since winning the Euro with a series of impressive defensive displays, I can't help but think that Krahn's all round game has actually improved while playing for PSG..:confused:, as the continuing form of her potential replacement Wensing has been..:(

22. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Just crossed the way of this pic still unknown to me of a pretty (and sad ?) girl... Yes... It's her !

[​IMG]

Young Maro (with a thinner silhouette ;))...

23. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    9-1 for the Mannchaft today against Slovakia with a hat-trick for Alushi, a brace for Mittag, and goals for Keßler, Maro, Leupolz and Laudehr.... 56 goals in 8 games...

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1099 Batfink, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Lol, no Sasic, and all you see is movement, movement, and more movement, to create all kinds of clear goal scoring chances in open play...:rolleyes:. I've only watched the first half so far, but in exciting fashion, you honestly can't even tell who's playing where for most of the attacks I'm seeing.

Lotzen, Leupolz, and Mittag, all rotate positions around Alushi, who to my surprise was playing in a central AM role for the national team again, just like when she was producing her best career form, consistently staring at Potsdam...:thumbsup:

Plus I never thought I would say this so soon, but seeing Marozsan forced back into a CM role next to Keßler once again, may actually turn out to be her long term positional role for the senior team; well, if she continues to be lazy whenever tasked with a free role to dictate play higher up the field.

Oh, and Schult with basically nothing to do, still remains an obvious accident waiting to happen as long as her defenders can't trust her goofy decision making lol.

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow... Almuth Schult really doesn't make anything about being a national team GK easy lol.

I thought she looked indecisive in the first half, but conceding in the last minute like that...:thumbsdown: