USWNT COACH 2.0 DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sisterluke, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, but you may have noticed that WUSA and WPS dop no longer exists and that NWSL in large part do not pay enough to live of a whole year. That why reasigning that money would be usefull.ö
    Yes, that the trade-off and the real decsion. If USSoccer want complete no competion from clubs this system do indeed work well.

Well if USSoccer was stupid enough to try to redo the system during a term [PS! Why do you always assume it any change would be impleneted in such a way that it would cause maximum harm? do you actually belive USSoccer is total idiots or it is just becuase you don't trues your arguments otherwise].

With a minimum of inteligence USSoccer would of course redo the system when the agreEmeNt expieES and have to be replaced\renegotiated. And yes it would be a hard sell, but if done right not very. USWNT protesting for keeping their salary high and their rivals and replacement unpaid (the next 70 or so) should be a mucher harder sell than the reallocation of money to keep more US-girls/women able to play full time. I still count on one WWC will be lost due to the unrest caused.
    Well, that is an issue, generally speaking that do not realy seem to be a problem in the rest of the world, but if you feel that americans in general and their female soccer players in specific are greedier than the rest of the world that may be an issue.

That do not work yet or for quite a while and is complety outside the issue if there are better use for the fairly big salaries USSoccer pay their NTs.

2. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, Solo's opinion is after all worth more than ours, and she has more on the line...

And there's something to be said for the continuity now that we are in this position; gonna be much harder for an outsider to come in and set things up their own way.

It is a little shaky on the "appearance of propriety" thingy though.

4. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
  5. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BINGO! Post of the year so far. Jill will be in charge.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #107 luvdagame, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    i assume that it will be a pr and financial disaster if ussoccer tries to change the contract in a way that pays 70, 80 or 100 girls rather than 30 or so.

The only reason they can pay 30 or so well enough for them to fight to improve their skill and fitness and stay on the team is because of the contracts and "events" they can market. with 80 to 100 being paid, you diffuse the focus, have fewer stars, definitely lose more games, and shrink the crowds that only come out for the uswnt stars. in a country that has so much competition for the sports dollar, that could kill the goose that's laying the only golden egg for u.s. woso right now.

i'm assuming your argument is that it will be the thing that rejuvenates woso in the u.s.

actually the two are inextricably intertwined. the u.s. has to keep the contract system as is because it's the only thing that's bringing money in. the weekly women's pro club soccer system is a money loser. if the u.s. starts paying another 70, the income from their uswnt games will drop precipitably. contract players will drop out and get on with their lives.

i know it's de rigueur to see ussoccer as lacking intelligence, and indeed they may be very wrong and most posters here right. but i'm pretty sure they're smarter than many like me who are just soccer typists, and have data to back up their approach to this thing. and even tho it's unpopular, i see it the way they seem to.

again, just my o.

taosjohn repped this.
  7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I have a feeling it will be Ellis or Gustavsson.... they know the team and the players seem to respect both of them...

8. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    With Morgan's praise of Gustavsson you have to wonder how instrumental he was to her success in 2012. She had a breakout year in 2012, and in her interview she also gave him a lot of credit for the Olympics Gold medal win.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gustavsson = Press
    Ellis = Sydney

Ellis today, Gus tomorrow.

10. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    It's kind interesting that those 2 girls are always on the opposite side of the spectrum, even when it comes to their preferred coaches. :)

11. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Every time I think of Gustavsson I always remember him motioning signals to the team after Morgan scored the go-ahead goal against Canada in the Olympics, while Pia and staff were celebrating.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    Can they have both? One head coach, one asst. coach?

I know the question you're asking.

don't know.

14. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Just in Tom Sermani is now an Assistant Coach PIA in Sweden........April Fools!

IMHO I like Aaran Lines-Western New York Flash!
    Has been in the Finals of the Last 4 Womens League Championships, Winning 3.
    Runs a First Class operation, I've seen it. Doesn't compare to others.
    Knows the USA Players, College and Pros
    Knows the USA Coaches, Colleges and Pros
    Knows the International Players
    I'm impressed how he is able to evaluate, find, sign and instruct players to add to his system.
    Has Coached some High Profile players, Wambach, Marta, Seger, Sinclair, Barbie, Wife, etc.
    He has the BluePrint for Winning year after year.
    I like Sahlens sausage!
    Take a look at his credentials:
    http://www.wnyflash.com/?template=template&form_id=62&page=coaches.cfm

I know Waldrum wants to job.....he likes to travel!

15. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    julie foudy said today that her money's on Gustavsson.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I think Alex Morgan has a secret man crush on Gustavsson.

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    And now as we all (very much) expected her to Press come out if favour of Gustafsson
    http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/damallsvenskan/spelarna-staller-sig-bakom-tony-ratt/ (sorry, in Swedish)
    Mainly speculation and rerashing earlier intervies, and about WCL and Tyresö's situation but following new quote from Press (translated as best as I can):
    "-Tony have so much enthusiams and energy. Many of the players that was in the Olympics got to know him then, and really liked him. His coaching work is a fantactic combination or Swedish and American style that would fit our team."

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #119 luvdagame, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Julie says (watch her toward the end of the last two espn fc podcasts of 4/17 & 4/18 - very interesting, including interviews with abby) that the players wanted Gustafson after pia but ussoccer didn't think he had enough of a resume. That's why she thinks he'll get the job this time.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I like Gustavsson much more than Ellis as the two most likely to fit in with the current group of personalities. My preference would be someone like Maren Meinert who would bring a system with her. I dont think 15 months is too short of time to change the system but the coach has to have the will to implement it.

20. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    At first, it was a bit worrisome to have Sermanni relieved of his coaching with the WNT because he brought in Press. With Ellis, you know you'll always get your same old BS UCLA alumni on the field. But now, as we may likely have it Tony Gustafson will be the coach and that is the best selection for sure. It will allow Press to continue to get her opportunity to show that she is the best option to start with Morgan at the WWC. Lereux is great too, but it just wouldn't be fair for Ellis to be the coach; in which case Press might not be a starter.

Gustafson will allow Press to go from being the "other forward" to the star of the team, and maybe the world.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Which coach allows Wambach to play? It's suicidal just to sub her for 20 mins since she can't run on balls, and big Euro teams are proving without her being able to elevate they can take that part of her game too. In other words by 2015 she's no more than Prinz of 2011. Yeah, I know for the Wambach lovers she is looking for a speed and conditioning coach. They have more camps, games and nwsl games than any other team in the world, so it's something else. Anyway, which coach plays her because that's the one you'll see at 2015 WC?

Of course Sydney's star wants Ellis. She's right on the edge of stardom with the recent Nike push.

22. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC

No coach is going to play Wambach because she's worse than Prinz was. If she really wanted to help the team, she'd retire now. The main forwards are Press and Morgan, with Lereux as an option right there. Maybe Hagen can be a sub...Personally, I'd like to see Lereux at the wing because she's too good not to be a starter. However, any coach that plays Lereux over Press is biased.

23. John Connors

John Connors New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    That is not going to happen. She wants to win the WWC and will be there to play in Canada, barring injury. The time for her to retire would have been after the Olympics if she was going to. Whilst not a completely spent force, she is not the player she was in 2011 and in another 15/18 months will have all the speed of a turning battleship.

She says there was no player revolt that got rid of TS. I would disagree. Not that the player 'revolt' was the sole reason for his sacking. He tried to be too clever and brought too many players in too soon and fiddled around with systems.

But perhaps Wambach thought Sermanni was looking to phase her out in favour of Press/Hagen and fearing for her WWC place acted by getting support from some of the other Vets. She is one of the big personalities in the dressing room and an extremely powerful one at that with a lot of sway.

24. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati is going to be on the halftime of the Fire-New England game on NBC Sports Net to talk about the head coach search. (~5-10 minutes from now).