Italy's final 23 man roster for Brazil 2014...

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by falvo, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we should bring Aronica in he can play all along the left side.

JCNapoli17 repped this.
  2. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I was thinking about the Confeds when I wrote.

4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why would you bring someone and play them out of position though. Candreva has performed well on the right its where he is most comfortable if you want a player out on the left pick someone who usually plays there. Not rocket science.

It is not about picking your best XIII. As Prandelli has said you need to select the best balanced team.

And correct, Prandelli tried Candreva on the left v Spain, but there was nothing in that performance to encourage him to place him there again.

It isn't a coincidence that Cerci barely played in the Confeds (only about 60m), he was surplus to requirements b/c Candreva was playing well.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nothing you say here is unreasonable, though other possibilities must be considered. If Prandelli is taking both of them then he must have some reason for doing it.

Maybe one will be the backup for the other depending on formation (possible), maybe he thinks that one of them can still thrive on the left in a 4 3 3 (moderately possible), maybe starting both of them with Cerci playing as support striker (also very possible).

There are various options including both of them possibly playing in a 4 3 1 2 with Cerci and Balotelli up top. All these scenarios could come to fruition depending on what Prandelli wants. He is not a coach who seems particularly sure/rigid when it comes to formations and tactics anyway.

6. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Your point about being a back-up is a good one although Maggio sort of fills that role from a RWM perspective.
    But like I said wouldn't surprise me either way if one misses out, or if they both end up going.

7. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does anyone think that Romulo might be a possible replacement in the squad for Marchisio.
    Its probably unlikely given how well established Marchisio is but just looking at Romulo's allround abilities I think it just might be good option.

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #1358 Nek Sanalet, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I think that if Romulo goes to Brazil…he will be taken because his versatility can make him either the 8th defender or the 8th midfielder for Prandelli. But no, I doubt Marchisio will be dropped. I think things may shape up like this…

G:3
    D:7
    + 1 (Romulo)
    M:7
    F:5

His inclusion will mean either Abate or Maggio will probably be dropped and only 7 other midfielders taken (leaving someone's favorite youngster at home).

I also get the sense that the odds are higher that he will be called upon to play right back as opposed to midfield. Both Abate and Maggio have been injured, and the position is Italy's weakest.

I think its clear at this point that De Rossi, Pirlo, Marchisio, Montolivo, Motta, Candreva, and one of Parolo/Veratti/Florenzi/Giaccherini/Diamanti/Insigne will be the 7 if this Romulo stuff occurs.

totti fan repped this.
  9. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prandelli definitely likes versatile players like Giach,March,Maggio.

I just read this article:
    http://forzaitalianfootball.com/201...ocus-romulo-romulo-wherefore-art-thou-romulo/
    "Prandelli himself said that Romulo’s five goals and eight assists this season for Verona show he deserves to be conidered.

In many ways Romulo’s main selling point is that he doesn’t really fill a specific role. He can do a bit of everything, slot into different positions and is a great utility man. For the Gialloblu, Andrea Mandorlini has moved him to a more attacking position in midfield and he has created 52 chances during the 2013-14 Serie A season yet he retains a sense of responsibility from his time as a full-back and gets back quickly to help the defence.

This ability to slot in anywhere is what Prandelli sees in him and his versatility is backed up by pace and general fitness that allow him to keep running and contributing to various phases of play. Romulo has a reasonable chance of going to Brazil."

He's more of a mid these days. And defensively his stats are as good as Marchisio (whoscored)

10. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Wait, are people seriously calling Gilardino a lock to go to the WC ahead of Destro and/or Immobile? Really?

If that actually happens, I'm going to start thinking Scorp might be right about Prandelli.

11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I don't know if I'd go as far as Scorp in labeling Prandelli the devil incarnate, but certainly, to bring Gilardino over those two would not be justifiable.

12. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giacherinni just had 2 nice assists against man city, so he helped sunderland draw them which will have a HUGE impact on deciding the EPL title. lol...so i guess you can say giacc is a lock too now

13. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So Giacherinni has a couple good games and now he's good to go to Brazil?

All of a sudden Romulo is a favorite to make the squad?

Gilardino over Immobile?

Totti, who Prandelli once said it was an honor for him to consider making himself available, is now too old?

No Verratti, Insigne, Immobile, and Florenzi?

Just odd. I hope for the best, but this isn't the right mentality.

La Magica repped this.
  14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

How quickly people forget. :whistling:

Rossonero23 and jerrito repped this.
  15. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its the Dutch league not really known for rock solid defense...

17. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    and so we have had someone officially asked for Graziano Pelle to be on the National team...

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He should have been tried out. The excuse of its only the Dutch league is a poor one. I've already said to ciucc who claimed a nobody, he was a top youth prodigy starring for Italy against the likes of Messi. Players mature are different ages, this guy has done so and is finally showing his potential. His goals show his class, they're not 2 yard tap ins, some of them are amazing technical goals.

But continue the ignorance, never watch him but say its the Dutch league. He deserves a chance instead of the like of gila and Osvaldo and would be a great back up option

Vulpinous and ArtemioD repped this.
  19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He didn't do jack in Italy when playing at Parma he reminded me of caraccolo.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Do you deliberately miss the point as it doesn't fit your opinion or just incapable of reading?

21. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go look at a certain American player and see how he is doing outside of the Dutch league.

22. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd rather see ciro go and play back up if there is anyone who deserves it its him.

23. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pelle should have been given a chance. He's tearing up the Dutch League..at least a look is warranted.

And why do people mention his past or compare him to another player?

If you watch his goals, they are class. Dutch league or not..

24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Seriously it's like talking to a child sometimes. So does one player equal another? I said Bony would be a hit and people said he was average and only looked good in the Dutch league. I am saying now Pelle is the same and a world apart from the extremely average Altidore.

Your logic is flawed, "hes a nobody" whatever that means... "he was poor in Italy before so must be now" you haven't watched him play a game in years, players develop at different ages
    now move on to " look at Jozy"

You must have exhausted the excuse list all while having such a strong opinion having not watched him.

Ciro should go along with Destro and away from the same rubbish making the squad like Gila but that's most likely not going to happen. Pelle at the very least should be considered as a 5th choice

25. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey that's your opinion in my opinion they guy would flounder.