Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm not sure how folks of the Yorkshire working class - from which come the foundation of Wednesday's support - are going to feel about being called 'the euros'.

... but I'm sure gonna ask a few of 'em. :D

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    One thing's for certain - they'd prefer that to being associated with the Tory Eurosceptics. ;)

afgrijselijkheid and pookspur repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you're not wrong there.

4. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Well, he is also a very friendly, engaging guy.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Deeneaus repped this.
  6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Wednesday lost 3-2 yesterday, I think.

Gooch beaten for a header goal from a cross.

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    3-3, actually. nuhiu got an equalizer late in injury time (and very nearly a winner moments later).

anyway, I'm seeing gooch rated as everywhere from pants to solid. llera (his centerhalf partner) was by all accounts rubbish, and the normally strong Kirkland (in goal) and buxton (right back) apparently had very much off days.

most of those harsh on gooch appear to be lumping him in with a very bad defense, but more than a few are saying that he was made to look bad by llera and the others ... some going so far as to say he was good. tough call without seeing it - and maybe even if you did.

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  8. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't happen very often! Glad to see him playing again, though, as I thought he was still on the mend.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    wait he played? I thought he had a back injury.

Deeneaus repped this.
  10. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As did I... but evidently he played. Quick recovery for Gooch, which is a good thing despite his not so good play.

11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, in spite of a couple of scares, Gooch has done a good job of keeping up with the regular grind (knock on wood). And Wednesday has won 6 of its 14 games with him on the field, which is impressive when you consider that they've won only 6 of 28 without him.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Stars aligning for him. He'll make the 30 but can he be a starter. Gonzalez has irked a lot of fans in recent months but could he lose his spot? Gooch is due 1 solid WC performance.

13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Gooch went 90 in a 4-2 win at Bournemouth, putting a major dent in their playoff hopes.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got a 7.7 on WhoScored and after searching twitter, he seemed to have a good game. Atta boy Gooch!

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at the expense of a terrible one?

16. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    But if they had to choose a manager? Nigel Farage or the ex-Trotskyiste, never elected President of Europe Barroso and his sidekick van Rompoy the measly, haiku-writing bank clerk turned Euro oligarch?

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I know he dropped down and this league is lower quality than La Liga but still it's incredible how BOSS he's been in the past few months for Sheff Wednesday.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    stuart gray, in an interview on radio Sheffield, spoke of gooch's status with Wednesday, and it apparently came off as trying to let the fans down gently. I don't know what was said, but from the commentary I'm seeing, it sounds as though gooch has 'other irons in the fire', which is perhaps implying that he'll not be re-signing with Wednesday.

that won't come as a surprise to anyone who's been reading any of gooch's commentary since arriving in Sheffield, I suppose, but it's a bit disappointing to my mind. this is a level that works quite well for his game at this point in his career, and while he can't be blamed for thinking there's something better out there - and I can't imagine there's not a bigger contract out there - he'll be taking a gamble. his partnership with glen loovens has been very successful, and everyone at Wednesday would be pleased to go into '14-15 with those two penciled in.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    off topic:

Onyewu and US U20 Lynden Gooch need to take a picture together.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think this is a great level for Gooch at this point. I think he would struggle for playing time in another league.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Championship, beyond the top six teams or so, is not better than the MLS. He's justified in trying to move to a better league. Sadly, I don't think it'd work out well for him, since indeed at this point the Championship is his level.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    1 could argue the worst team in MLS is not above the Estonian 2nd division. But can you list why you believe so? I'
    m not well read on the Championship but i'd wager it better than MLS, on average.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Watch Championship matches. There are always 2 that are available on streams each date, usually at different times.

It's simple, ugly football, played by players that, about half of them, have poor first touch and below average ball control. Very much like the MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that's how I would've described it four or five years ago. but the quality in the championship has risen a fair bit since then. it's not consistent, by any means, but you see some pretty decent stuff on show from time to time down there.

it's really been more down to an increased quality of managers at that level than of increased talent; but it's certainly better. though i suppose you'll still find it around, it's not all just the hoofing and running of yesteryear.