World Cup 2014 - Group F: Preview & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria' started by jimmi_moh, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You don't need to have heard of every scenario that unfolds in this life! Lets move on.

Mani repped this.
  2. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

That was certainly bad timing for Karimi and Daei to lock horns, IM. Hopefully there will be none of that this year.

And good luck with the new addition to your family!

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thanks.

Definitely not a good timing regarding the Karimi-Daei thing. Many have tried to patch things between the two, but it has never lasted. They are still at it.

This year's soap opera involves a different cast though. Right now the issue de jour in Iran has to do with Queiroz's terrible relationship and feud with some of our club coaches and club officials, with threats to bring a complaint against him with IFF by one club (Esteghlal) and Queiroz reportedly crossing out 6 players from another club, Sepahan, that he has invited to a camp in S.Africa. The whole thing has to do with these clubs refusing to release their players for a national team camp that Queiroz has planned right smack in the middle of what is a critical phase of Asian Champions League. As a result only 10 of the 28 players Queiroz had invited joined him initially in S.Africa. After recent matches, those clubs that have been already eliminated or clinched their position in the next round have agreed to release their players despite next week's AFC CL game last group stage match, but Sepahan who has neither clinched nor been eliminated refused. The 28 man roster by Queiroz had 6 Sepahan players and he reportedly has said they are crossed out of the national team! Since last year Queiroz crossed out our veteran keeper, Rahmati, due to disciplinary issues when he was regarded as somewhat irreplaceable, and also crossed out a veteran defender, Aghili, for similar reasons, and has stuck to his gun about refusing to invite them, the Sepahan players and those around our football are worried that Qeuiroz will similarly stick to his guns now.

4. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i never called anybody a liar, nor implied it. i had just never heard of such scenarios before. if i PM you, then i will abide by your conditions regarding our potential relationship: you shall give details regarding your work and send photos of your kids, and i shall reciprocate, that is, i will also send you details about my work and send photos of my kids.

5. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    esteghlal and ghalenoie should shut up. they cant achieve results in ACL, or even the league this year for that matter, whether they have their main players or not. since asian cup 2007 ghalenoie has proven that he is clueless about football outside of Iran. however, i can understand sepahans actions, and carlos is being unreasonable by crossing those sepahan players off the list like that.

6. Safarigirl

Safarigirl Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm currently studying law, any tips? ;D

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

You've never heard of a lawyer with three kids having time to watch a 90 minute football match? Okay, whatever. You must know some really frazzled lawyers. So do I, for that matter, but they all have time do other things occasionally.

Anyway, just so you know (because it doesn't appear when I type it here), there is an underscore between the first haka and second haka in my email address.

Best advice I ever received was to take the Bar review courses before starting law school. Everyone takes them just before the bar exam, but if you take them before law school, the issue-spotting exams in law school are a snap, at least in US law schools. I'm not sure about other countries. Exams are much different in Denmark, for sure.

Good luck with your studies. :)

8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    part of my statement hinted at the question: why would someone with limited spare time choose to watch such a world cup match. i did not necessarily claim that a lawyer would not have enough time to do this, but i implied that lawyers do not have much time, which is why it is strange that a danish dude in the US with 3 kids would have time to [choose] to watch Iran vs mexico 2006 with his limited spare time.

and i know about the underscore, but thanks for clarifying just in case.

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    not only is this member, safarigirl, lying, but he is derailing the thread. lets get back on topic please.

10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    bosnia coach already started smack talking. this will make the world cup really interesting. this ignorant dude is in for a surprise.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/04/world-cup-2014-eagles-will-fall-flat-says-bosnia-coach.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You initiate the digression by making personal comments about people, then accuse others of derailing the thread. You have chutzpah, I'll give you that. :p

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Esteghlal, with Ghalenoi, finished as a semifinalist in the last AFC Champions League. Under Ghalenoi Sepahan also topped its group in the AFC Champions League a couple years ago, the same year when subsequently after he left Sepahan made the quarterfinals and beat the eventual AFC CL champions home and away but was disqualified for using a player that was ruled ineligible. While Esteghlal did poorly this time around, they clearly had an abundance of excuses. The flack that Ghalenoi gets from Iranian fans outside of Iran is simply amazing considering that Ghalenoi is by far the most successful club coach in Iranian football ever, even if his demeanor hardly makes him my favorite. (My favorite Iranian coach right now is Hossein Faraki of Foolad, who led a bunch of no name players to win the Iranian title and topped his group in the AFC CL).

Incidentally, Ghalenoi's short stint as Iran's coach during the 2007 Asian Cup wasn't a failure even if it didn't rate as a success either. Ghalenoi's team qualified to the 2007 Asian Cup in the same group as South Korea, ahead of them by 4 clear points, beating them 2:0 in Tehran and drawing them in S.Korea. In the Asian Cup, Iran topped its group with 2 wins and a draw. We then outplayed S.Korea in the quarterfinals, even though we lost on penalties. Losing on penalties doesn't prove a coach is incompetent!

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i did not initiate any digression. i made a simple remark, and people took it upon themselves to use that to derail the thread. in fact, i led by example when i said 'lets get back on topic' by posting the bosnian coachs arrogant comments. what do you think of these arrogant comments by the bosnian coach?

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    how many years has ghalenoie been in charge of ACL bound teams? yet how much success does he have in ACL? topping the group or reaching quarterfinals is not that important. he made semis once thats it. and our asian cup 2007 campaign was a clear failure. that was the weakest south korea side ever, and we should have beaten them well before penalties. we hardly outplayed south korea in that game too... we hardly made any threatening chances. then he substituted talebloo only for penalties which meant that he was playing for penalties against the weakest south korea side we ever faced.. absolutely pathetic.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran outplayed S.Korea in the quarterfinals although neither Iran nor S.Korea were stellar. We subbed out Roudbarian for Taleblou in the last minute of overtime, which hardly shows we were playing for penalties! Ghalenoi made that substitution, which didn't work out, because Roubarian has never saved a penalty in his life but Taleblou had done well in goal for Esteghlal and in practice in penalties. Losing the penalty lottery doesn't prove anything anyway and I don't think his short stint with the national team can be considered a failure even if you don't want to rate a success. The truth is that it was neither a success because we didn't accomplish anything nor a failure because we lost a penalty shoot out exiting the tournament without losing a single match.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about Ghalenoi here. We aren't going to get anywhere and its irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

This is the headline:

"World Cup 2014: Eagles, will fall flat"

And this is what he actually said:

"I think our chances are very realistic, because at this moment, both Nigeria and Iran are not better teams than us." “I fully expect that we pass into the second round,”

I would characterize his comments as confident, but not particularly provocative. Anyway, not even close to what was implied by the headline.

17. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Have IranianMonitor and Haykah write all your briefs. In return, Nigeria loses to Iran in the World Cup.

18. Mustafa Filipovic

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Actually the translation is not exactly acurate. Media takes things out of contest a lot of the time or they spice things up a bit. This is what the Bosnian coach actually said:
    "Argentina je daleko najbolja reprezentacija u našoj grupi i oni bi po svemu trebali završiti na prvom mjestu. Naš cilj je da se pridružimo njima i da budemo drugi,“
    "Izgledi za plasman u narednu rundu takmičenja su nam posve realni. Iran i Nigerija nisu kvalitetnije selekcije od nas, tako da se nadam prolasku dalje.“

Let me try to translate exactly how he said it:
    "Argentina is by far the best team in our group and they should manage to finish on the first place. Our goal is to join them and get second.
    It appears our chances of advancing into the next round of the competition are very realistic. Iran's and Nigeria's team-selections aren't higher quality than ours, so I am hopeful of advancement."

ChiBos and Zandi360 repped this.
  19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    do you think people trust you around here mate? did he exactly say 'i am hopeful of advancement?' yes or no.

20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So he is lying as well? Honestly, are you just suspicious of people online, or in this the way you are in your normal life?

FWIW, I used the Serbian Mustafa posted, and took it to Google translate. The result is roughly the same, although I'm sure he did a better job than the machine:

"Argentina is by far the best team in our group and they would at all be completed in the first place. Our goal is to join them and be different, "
    "Prospects for a place in the next round we completely realistic., Iran and Nigeria are better selection than us, so I hope passing away."

Obviously there is nothing close to "Eagles will fall flat" in anything he said.

21. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i never made a value judgement about him. i was just saying what other people here might think of him, as the bosnian posters around here will probably not be fully trusted by others regarding these matters, considering past events. i did not use google translate because it is not the same. one word could make the difference here... it is murky territory. he could very well have translated it well, however, i dont think some people here might think he has translated in a completely unbiased and objective matter, which, given the murky nature of the comments, is required.

i dont know why you keep mentioning 'eagles will fall flat.' that is just the name of the article, and the media is known for creating their own titles based on their own interpretations. titles have to generate interest, not be boring. i dont think anybody is reading much into the title. we have to look at what the bosnian coach actually said.

22. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Actually, the full title of the article is "World Cup 2014: Eagles, will fall flat, says Bosnia coach". So they were directly linking the falling flat language to Susic, and rather unfairly. Anyway, if that is not what you found so disturbing about the article then I don't what it is, because the rest of it was just the usual prattle from a coach: "Argentina is really good, blah blah blah . . . we hope to finish 2nd, yadda yadda yadda . . . we don't believe Iran or Nigeria are better than us . . . etc. etc." Nothing too scandalous in any of that.

Bosnian Diamond and ChiBos repped this.
  23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    Scandalous.

however, it remains to be seen whether he actually said that or not. that is the concern here.

24. Mustafa Filipovic

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    @persianfootball
    There is no concern here. It doesn't matter what the Bosnian coach said anyway.
    I noticed that the translation wasn't accurate so I was trying to translate it fanatically, to the best of my knowledge in hopes the meaning comes across exactly the way it sounds in Bosnian. There is no agenda here. If you don't believe me, but want to know what he actually said, then translate it your self.

@Hayaka
    Nice try in trying to insult me with the Serbian joke.
    Maybe you can ask some of your Serbian friends what they think of Iran and how Iran should be bombed. Then carved up and annexed by Armenia and Russia. Most Serbians hate Iran and secretly hope that what is happening in Syria or Ukraine today, will happen to Iran tomorrow. Most Serbs view Turks, Persians and Gypsies as one and the same. Serbs use the term "Turk" and "Iranian" as curse words. Just like in English the "N" word, but not in a hip way. You have no idea what you are joking with!

Bosnians are the only ones here that wish the Iranian people well. Both at the world cup and in general as well. Bosnians hope that Iran becomes a more democratic and prosperous nation for your own sake. While almost everyone else here secretively wishes that it would be better if Iran wouldn't even exist. Or at least they hope that Iran becomes a weaker and less significant nation.

Some of you guys are just Bosnia haters.

25. Mustafa Filipovic

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #1725 Mustafa Filipovic, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Most Bosnians on this forum are just simple Bosnian football fans. Most of our comments aren't arrogant at all. It's just that a lot of Iranian fans view Bosnia as some tiny shitty place that no one cares about, so when we come out and say that we think that Bosnia has a better football team than Iran, some Iranians fans see that as arrogance.

Seriously, what are you guys expecting from Bosnian fans and coach? To say that Bosnia's team is weaker than Iran's team? And that Bosnia is expected to finish behind Iran? They will never say that! That is not arrogance. As long as Bosnia has key players that actually play in the Premier League, Bundesliga, or the Italian League, we don't have a reason not to be hopeful and optimistic about playing against Iran. Bosnia's key players play for teams like Manchester City, Stoke City, VFB Stuttart, Schalke 04, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, Lazio/Juventus, Galatasaray.

On the other hand, probably the most dangerous forwards Iran has plays for Charlton Athletic. A team that most Iranians have never ever heard of before Ghoochannejahad transferred there.

In the last interview, the Bosnian coach said that neither Nigeria nor Iran are higher quality teams than Bosnia. He also said that he is hopeful that Bosnia can advance to the next round. That is just his assessment and not arrogance. Both Nigeria's and Iran's coach said something very similar and no Bosnian fan has called that "arrogance". Bosnian fans all understand that both Nigeria and Iran have a good shot at making it to the next round.

PS. Rumors are that Juventus bought Senad Lulic from Lazio. Juve is offering Lazio somewhere up to €8 million plus Fabio Quagliarella who is estimated to be roughly €10 million. Possibly a €18 million deal.

Bosnian Diamond and ChiBos repped this.