Maryland Terps - 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by No shinguards, Jan 21, 2014.

1. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent.. an away game that won't require snow shoes and a flight!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Some people are arguing that. And Maryland didn't buy up the seats. Georgetown gave half the seats to Maryland and split the gate with them. And then Maryland refused to reciprocate. But whatever. No one is going to convince the other side they're right that's why the teams haven't scheduled each other since.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Maybe President Obama could facilitate their meeting at Camp David.

OverseasView repped this.
  4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Yea, trade in your sandals, shorts and pickup truck with the rebel flag in the rear window for some boots, parka and a snowmobile with this bumper sticker ...
    [​IMG]

5. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AHH Ummmm - I live north of the Mason Dixon... But I still wont don that blue and white...

WE'RE NOT.............

6. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown defeated Maryland in college park yesterday 1-0 with out Brandon Allen or Joshua Yaro.

Here's Georgetown's recap:

"Normally in the spring we like to space out our allotted games by a week so that we can play a game, review it, build from it in practice, and prep for the next one. This winter has taken its toll on our preferred model, and compressed the majority of our spring slate into a ten day period. Last night we traveled to College Park to take on Maryland, a game that we scheduled with them just three days ago, in order to make up missed games that we both had from earlier in the spring. Maryland is a fun team to play because they always present a unique set of challenges with their very high level of talent, athleticism, and organization. We came away with a hard earned 1-0 win from a late Alex Muyl goal, and played a very good ninety minutes from my point of view. Without the services of forward and scholar Brandon Allen, who had to remain behind for class, and defender Joshua Yaro, who was recovering from a mild concussion, several other players got the opportunity to step in more prominently. Junior Jared Rist filled in at center back seamlessly, and, along with fellow center back Cole Seiler, was immense all night allowing Maryland just two shots on goal. Upfront, freshman Brett Campbell had a fantastic game causing all sorts of problems for the Terps defense, running off of Muyl and getting in behind on several occasions. Overall, there were plenty of positives to take away from the game, and certainly plenty of areas to continue to work on."

7. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with the high pressure G-town played... Maryland looked a bit sluggish, Missing Metzger in the Defensive mid position, but, as usual for the spring, UMD used this opportunity to try new things, with players in different positions, and in various different formations... The goal came late against the reserve back line... and reserve Keeper...

All in All.. A neutral performance by the Terps.. ( not good, not bad)..

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #83 bhoys, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Then some of the away games will actually be closer to home for you.

WE ARE ..........

9. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSU = 110 miles ... UMD = 84 .. but still - not a bad drive north.. Do you know if they play at PSU or UMD this year?

10. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    But PSU would be closer for you than any other MD away ACC game, right? (And Rutgers shouldn't be too far for you either, e.g., closer than all those ACC schools in, for example, North Carolina.) In any case, I'm hearing unofficially / unconfirmed that this year the PSU vs. MD game will be at Ludwig.

11. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UVA is a relatively short drive... as is Pitt, ( who cares), and the drive to NC is very pleasant... The ACC by and large, is much closer and easier to navigate, than the BIG..... Can we please get 322 "fixed up"...

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Neither team played appreciably well. Gtown was able to overcome without their best forward and defender. Kudos to them for a win while Muyl who was ineffectual other than shooting over a MD midget goalkeeper for the winning goal.

An appropriate result would have been 0-0 with neither team getting a result.

Gtown Campbell works hard but will be at best a competent backup to Allen. Georgetown is going to be ok with an infusion of quality incoming freshman and with Gomez anchoring the goal keeping position.

The mysterious #8 for MD playing defensive midfield (no Metzger????) was intriguing. He could become a good player. Shinsky got hurt and left in the first half, I was glad to see him return in the second. This year is it for Shinsky; I wish him well that he can make the impact that I expect that he can.

The MD forward #23 (Dutch kid?) and #16 Kapelick need to wake the F up and stay onside. It's ridiculous.

It's the spring, so I'm not going to worry about Souers playing central midfield. Micky needs to play much better or Sasho needs to find someone better to run the team.

For Gtown, I really like Mackie #20 and Rudy in the middle of the midfield, but Gtown is going to need to make improvements if they want to make a run for the championship.

Lastly, with all the Gtown shaved heads, it was difficult to identify the players. They should have their heads dunked with colored dye for easier identification.

No shinguards and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    The team participated in the St. Baldrick's Day event to help raise money and awareness for kids with Cancer.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/head-shaving

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    yeah, I know. Doesn't make it easier to identify them.

15. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland Played UNC on Saturday @ 2:00 pm. Most notably, Metzger back in the Defensive Mid position. Game was pretty evenly matched, Although UNC committed 19 fouls including 4 yellow cards.. in a spring friendly!. Maryland had 7 fouls, no cards. Zero goals either way in the end...

Maryland needs a striker... lots of chances created.. no result up top... Defense looks good and solid. Midfield is again, deep. TO make up for the lack of a true striker, Maryland is playing a 4-3-3 with a rotational recovery, so you are never quite sure which position any one of the 4 attackers, ( besides the fixture at striker, who never rotates) are playing... While it creates confusion for the opponent.. it has yet to produce the goals required to win...

Line up looked like:

____________Steffan_____________

Railey ____Suli_____Chris______Ambrose

___Endo_____Metzger_____Shinsky____

________Corboz_____Eticha__________

______________Jeron_______________

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoeSoccerFan:

#8 is Rutgers transfer Mael Corboz
    #16 is Hungarian sophomore David Kabelik
    #23 is Dutch freshman Jeroen [I do not know his last name but he is tall]

JoeSoccerFan and soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I figured out Corboz after the UNC match.

18. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A difficult road trip for the Terps Friday night, as they traveled a half hour north to UMBC for a spring match without Steffan in Goal, or Suli on the back line, (BOTH on national team duty), UMBC ran at them pretty good fort he first 20 minutes, netting a pair of goals straight through the position sporting the reserve defender. ( not good). Niedemeier made a good hand save, on one, but the rebound was put back directly. The game settled in and looked much more like the Terp soccer we know.. but the lone Sauers goal, late fisrt half(playing striker), was not enough.

Maryland looks a little out of sorts without ANY true strikers right now.. as they control the tempo and possession pretty well, but are not finishing chances up top. All spring, they have tried various formations, rotations, and personnel up top.. to no avail... Mid field is still the strong hold, with 2-3 that can come on without a noticable drop in performance.. Really no depth at Defender, ( save Dakota who is recovering from hernia) .. and not even a Striker to start the game with...

There are a couple "big" boys that have plenty of size and speed for the Striker position, just not the game knosledge and skill needed to really have an impact.. While I liked watching them play this spring.. a good bit of work to do to be ready for the field in the Fall...

One more match up.. 2 weeks.. St. Johns...

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who knos, one of them may still develop a knose for goal. :)

fknbuflobo repped this.
  20. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little birdie tells me that Maryland's home conference opener will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network. Wouldn't be surprised if BTN shows up at Ludwig two or three times.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe Sasho will have announced his new players by then. ;)

22. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two matchups known so far:

Monday Sept. 8 at Navy
    Friday Oct. 31 vs. Ohio State

23. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure of the actual Date.. But I hear UMD travels to Louisville for the Home opener in their new Stadium

fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More televised goodness: word has it that the Terps will feature four times on BTN. Two at home, two on the road - and one of the road games is supposedly Indiana.

Sandon Mibut, fknbuflobo and Hararea repped this.
  25. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    terps are listed #3 on this list of top 10 men's soccer teams going into the fall season. looking forward to seeing what they will do in the big 10