Saturday Night Live | Season 39 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by JohnnyFutbol, Sep 16, 2013.

1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Drake was impressive, dude seems like a genuine nice Guy and seems to have range ala JT

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was in a good 75% of the skits, if not more. It felt amost forced, she got more airtime last night than some of the new guys have gotten in the past 2 months or more.

Overall, the episode was rather lame. The funny was lacking.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I turned it on for the first time in perhaps a year. Watched the Weekend Update which wasn't very good, then a skit about a foreigner at Disney World doing audience participation on the Indiana Jones ride, which was simply terrible. And with that, we're probably done for another good long time.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They were definitely forcing it some, but she still didn't show much more than being a background character. It helped that they could feature her some since the guest was also black.
    I saw a lot of people loved the episode because of Drake. Mostly because of many of his songs talking about where he started from or complaining about him having everything in the world (Started from the Bottom, Successful, Best I Ever Had, and pretty much every other song), I was "that guy" a few years ago always pointing out that Drake (Aubrey) is from a nice area of Toronto and was that wheelchair guy from Degrassi. He was famous before his music career took off and he's about as "hard" as Childish Gambino. He did that for us last night. He didn't deny or shy away from most of his upbringing. He was an actor first. He showed that last night. He's not great, but he's still better than most of the SNL cast.
    I initially stopped watching after the first performance out of boredom. I think I watched some random basketball game and when I turned back the show was over. I just watched the rest of the episode beginning with the Indiana Jones sketch. Wow. Drake did well, but that sketch was bad. The second half of the show was especially weak. I think what is often the biggest problem with the show is some people try to act like characters instead of simply being people.

I always love see Jhene Aiko.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week's host will be Melissa McCarthy with musical guest Imagine Dragons.

It will also be Seth Meyer's final episode as a castmember. :(

-G

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new episode's host on March 1st will be Jim Parsons with musical guest Beck.

-G

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is he going to break out of character?

sitruc repped this.
  9. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I really wanna see him do something out of the ordinary, but i doubt he has much range.

sitruc repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lena Dunham?

:sick:

Does she know how to keep her clothes on?

11. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    God I hope so.

She gets on my nerves.

Oh look at me I'm so edgy and different and being naked bringing the naked body my own cus I'm a real modern woman.

fuk off.

sitruc repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You just don't get it. You're not a modern feminist.:rolleyes:

//I really hate it when people use that to defend her and Girls

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week's host will be Lena Dunham with musical guest The National.

-G

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I could be alone, but pretty much the entire show fell flat for me. At times it was horrible. There were a couple of times where I had to rewind it because I wasn't sure if I fell asleep and missed the end of a sketch. A few just ended without conclusions. Colin Jost did nothing for me too. I've never been a Cecily Strong fan, but he made her look good. She had a decent night with that casting call too. Pharoah continues to be solid and surprisingly Keenan at least keeps some skits somewhat interesting. Did the show miss Seth Meyers' writing that much?

It took me a while (it was an arduous task at times), but I finally got around to watching his first week of Late Night. I know he will get better, but I didn't like anything about the show. I didn't even like the set or the band. It seemed like his show undid what Conan and Fallon did for years and was a great step backwards.

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  15. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with everything you said expect the Cecily bit.

Shes amazing.
    :inlove:

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new episode's host on March 29th will be Louis C.K. with musical guest Sam Smith.

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week's host will be Anna Kendrick with musical guest Pharrell Williams.

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week's host will be Seth Rogen with musical guest Ed Sheeran.

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new episode's host on May 3rd will be Andrew Garfield with musical guest Coldplay.

-G

20. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week's host will be Charlize Theron with musical guest The Black Keys.

-G

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I typed this Sunday, but I left it in a tab and forgot to click "Reply to Thread."
    Leslie Jones. I'll start there. Actually no, I'll come back to the point I haven't made in a moment. The cold open... once again it had all sorts of potential. They had the right idea. The characters based on real people were portrayed well. It was an easy topic the entire country has heard about. For the most part, it was weak. The writers shied away giving us something great. It didn't push anything. It wasn't edgy. I mentioned the character based on real people were well done. The 3/4 Black new girlfriend... that was unnecessary. I've felt that way about Zamata a lot. She's unnecessary. I'm still surprised Thompson has become the glue of the show (the long Celebrity Family Feud sketch). He continues to grow on me. He didn't have much in that open, but the honest "Look... c'mon" while he was playing the former LA NAACP president was better than most of that open (except for maybe Sterling dodging Rodman touching him). The only reason I mention the cold open was because of Leslie Jones during the Weekend Update segment. That was Jones just doing her brand of stand-up. I've never been much of a fan of her stand-up, but she's easily funnier than most if not all of the cast simply as a comedian. She didn't back down from anything (as a reward we'll probably never see her again:x3:). I didn't care for the slavery bit. It definitely had it's moments and was funny (and true), but it didn't fit a show that is afraid to push the envelope and constantly shies away from topics (the Beyonce thing was fun, but not exactly timely). For what it's worth, I thought the 3/4 Black character portrayed by Zamata was more offensive than the slavery bit. Also, "Can a bitch get a beef bowl?" nearly saved the Killam bit.

Am I the only one who appreciates Pharoah's impressions? They're some of the best on the show, but none of the recaps even mention them although they loved the Justin Timberlake impression by Garfield. I got it, but especially since he has become such a part of SNL it seemed more silly than anything.

I don't know what problems they had. The Bird Bible short isn't funny and shouldn't be considered for filler.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The host for next week's season finale will be Andy Samberg with musical guest St. Vincent.

-G

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season finale tonight. :(

-G