Orlando City stadium construction thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    In seriousness though, the Citrus Bowl could be turf for their temp home next season. I know they switched to turf a few years ago, but not sure if they'll continue to use turf after the renovation, or maybe hold off until OCSC's new stadium is built.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think it's cute that the team is going to pretend to use input from fans to design the stadium. Good move.

joehooligan0303 and tab5g repped this.
  3. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC fans invented being salty.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yep. That's it. Acknowledging a PR move as a PR move is me being salty because I'm a fan of DC.:rolleyes:

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, look, Seattle invented everything else, so you should be proud that DC can claim something.

BulaJacket and evilmonkeycmand repped this.
  6. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC invented the MLS Dynasty.........but somewhere along the way we lost the Patent.

;-)

derek750, CREN and joehooligan0303 repped this.
  7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Orlando City had fans before MLS. Hell I give Sounders fans shit for a lot of things including the fact they got more bandwagon fans when they joined MLS. But compared to Miami, Atlanta, NY2..... Orlando and Seattle at least have/had something to build upon. I feel a bit for Miami Fusion fans in the past, but the overall market is watching EPL and La Liga in that city.

Atlanta is SEC football
    Miami is Euro football fans
    NYC mostly Euro football fans

Those 3 markets have to get new fans to the game or convert these people who only watch European football. TV market size is great, owners get their money but they have work to do.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Welcome to MLS.

Every initially chosen market and the entire league faced basically the exact same conditions in 1996. And things seem to be going along fairly well for the business overall.

Oobers and redinthemorning repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it isn't.

They're not actually trying to copy you asshats. I was pointing out that they are into the whole assault and scarf/banner stealing thing...and are massive dicks to everyone (including the Ruckus, which is the other big group in Orlando).

More like middle-class whitey trying to be hard.

10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    *Tips Fedora*

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is interesting that after I got jumped on for passing on info that someone in this thread gave me (stadium land negotiations are still going on and stadium not designed yet) no one has offered any other info. So is the info that I was given correct or incorrect? I do not know the status and can only go by what I find online and in this thread. I am sure many of you have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Please enlighten us.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of people that think Architecture these days is typing the number of rooms you want in a building into a computer and it's spits out a finished design in 45 minutes

14. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just got my answer. Looks like the info that was presented is accurate. I really thought this was done.

"Due to delays in the City of Orlando’s acquisition of land required for the downtown, soccer-specific stadium, the Lions also announced they will play the entire 2015 MLS season in the Florida Citrus Bowl."

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1815

15. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are trying to say that I think that you are wrong. The whole reason I brought it up is because I know the stadium design takes a long time and will require city/county approval. I stated this in previous posts. The fact that I know it takes a long time is the reason I am concerned that this whole situation had been presented as a completely done deal and that they were just waiting to break ground. It is very surprising to me they don't appear to be further along on the design than what they are revealing. It seems very late in the game to just be starting the design process. Again I don't know this to be fact, but that is what the team is making it sound like.

16. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    45 minutes? What kind of shitty computers do you guys work with? It should be 45 seconds.

17. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is all it takes to make a weather forecast these days and meteorologist try to make us think they are outside taking readings and running formulas, etc. We all know architects are pulling the same thing. ;)

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The stadium holdup is all about that one church, right?

20. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/houses-3d-printing-1416773-Apr2014/

Ten houses built in 24 hours? All is possible with 3D printing
    A Chinese company printed the houses out of recycled material.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was supporting your position, jerkweed. Jesus, not every one of my posts is a carpet bombing mission

Depends on how much pre-construction investigation & preliminary design has has been done to this point. Depending on what the City/County has enacted, there is very little of the visual "design" that most cities can review, unless the building is going in a special district and what they review is structural & building/life safety and conformance with established codes

23. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah, the Faith Deliverance Temple:
    [​IMG]
    http://goo.gl/maps/SMFe8

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Jeez. I'm not typically for this on principle, but EMINENT DOMAIN THAT MOTHER.

looknohands repped this.
  25. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Seriously. The City of Orlando offered $1.5 million, which is over twice the appraised value of $600,000. The church owners say they want $40 million.