Rapids v Stank Jose P/I/P Sat 4/19 4:00PM MDT

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Jimmydinho, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Bash Brothers are back in Denver with newest neck-snapper Atiba Harris. They will no doubt be looking, much like Olivia Newton John in 1981, to get physical. Hopefully we get a little ref protection from the cheap hacking and we will need to initiate a good spread out possesion game here at altitude to wear these goombahs out before they get started.

I think it'll be another hard fought game, ala last years brawl at Buckshaw. Maybe a card or three for spice.

Rapids come from behind 2-1.

Sports Yak and prk166 repped this.
  2. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think you may be right about needing to come from behind. SJ will be hungry for their first win and they will come out swinging for sure. I always fear Wondo so until the final whistle blows, SJ always has a chance. I too give it a 2-1 Rapids win with goals by Brown and Torres. I wanna feel comfortable about a win, but I don't with SJ.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    She was way more sexy when she did it.

Stuart95 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will be an absolute dogfight that will be won in trenches. Intensifying the match will be SJ's search of a 1st win. No doubt, SJ will come out looking for an early knockout punch. Honestly, this match probably has Pablo salivating. In his playing days this match was right up his alley. Defensively, the Bash Bros and Wondo will be a handful. I want to see how O'Neill (assuming his starts at CB) fares and how Moor can work to stop these guys. It's not about beating them at their own game (physicality) it's about cutting off pathways to goal and forcing them to retreat towards their own goal. You can't let them push you down low -- stealing a basketball term if you will. Jose Mari is going to be hugely import filling in those defensive gaps. I want to see him stick on Wondo like white on rice and deny his ability to slyly sneak past you. Offensively, a big body, preferably Buddle, will be need for holdup play against Barnardez and Goodson. I would love to see Buddle draw Barnardez and Goodson out a little, creating space behind them only for Powers hit those penetrating through balls for Brown, Sanchez, and Serna. You have to exploit SJ's lack of pace. Make them play your game and not one reliant of physicality.

fischerw repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The only time I've seen them play this season was in CCL play and I thought they did very well and I'm kinda surprised to see their low standing this early in the season.

6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested to see the team in a game they're supposed to win against a non-Canadian team. Expect a mosh pit game but a 2-1 Rapids win, goals by Torres and Sanchez

7. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Might be nice is Chavez sees enough time to score.

Stuart95 repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry very amused with all his game weather postings :)

Chris Bianchi ‏@Rapids_News ·15 hrs
    Latest model runs pumping more moisture for Saturday’s #Rapids96-#Quakes game. Going to call it 50-50 for a storm during the game. #cowx

Chris Bianchi ‏@Rapids_News ·16 hrs
    @RiggAtAltitude @FlemingSport hmm surprising. Don't think we get a storm but there's a chance, especially towards end of the match

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If you shut down Salinas you can kill the Quakes offensively as he is our engine. Only one bash brother ( I hate that term ) as Lenhart is out for a month.

10. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Salinas definitely has a knack for having great service and I also think we need to keep an eye on the new guy Djalo. Kid is crafty.

One of my favorite Bianchi weather related tweets had something to do with "Friends don't let Friends use weather.com." Sadly, I'm 100% positive I could use weather.com to predict the forecast with as much accuracy as the weather folk that get paid to do it.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who to start? What formation to play? Sanchez is back, and Serna made the team look better immediately. Should he start or be a super sub?

We've successfully played a 4 diamond 2 the last two games, which, personnel-wise was made easier by absences. Do we get Brown, Buddle, and Torres on the field at the same time? Powers is too good centrally to be shifted wide.

------------Buddle-------Torres-----------
    --Brown---------Powers----------Sanchez
    -------------------Jose Mari---------------
    Burch------Moor-------O'Neill----Piermayr
    --------------------Irwin----------------------

--------Brown---Buddle-------Torres-------
    --------------Powers----Sanchez--------------
    -------------------Jose Mari---------------
    Burch------Moor-------O'Neill----Piermayr
    --------------------Irwin----------------------

jayd8888 repped this.
  12. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i've seen these in the past from the Rapids, but I haven't made it a point to search them out in a while, if they are still being produced that is. Last one I saw was about 2 years? ago.

14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose really isn't very good, but this game does have "trap" written all over it. We have Mari, so that should help keep the physicality spread fairly even in the midfield.

It wouldn't hurt to start Buddle has well. He's large enough that having 'Quakes defenders trying to bully him is like watching a Strong Man trying to pull seven semi-trucks using only his teeth.

Tactically speaking, we need to keep possession and hold it as long as we can.

Might want to make sure we're leading by more than a single goal in the 90th minute to boot...

[​IMG]

Bridgeman repped this.
  15. JuanCasa

JuanCasa Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all,
    Got a ridiculous lay-over in Denver that coincides with the game, so I'm going to try to see my Quakes take on your Boys (sorry I'm the enemy).
    Never been to Dick's ---> is there any bars or restaurants around the stadium for a guy who's cabbing it?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's pretty much nothing within walking distance of the stadium. There is some stuff in Northfield/Stapleton which is south of the stadium, but downtown Denver is the place to go if you're looking for bars.

17. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he's going through some meteorologist program or something. I've known a few people who have gone through atmospheric science stuff and they love to talk about their models too.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just the media guide renamed to "Fan guide". The Rapids have one too.

Go to this page and click on "Go to Full Game Guide"
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2014/04/match-preview-colorado-rapids-vs-san-jose-earthquakes

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, he works (part-time) as a meteorologist for one of the Denver media companies (9News?).

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Guy in the comments section said he did a quick run through of the unanimous picks so far this year. All but one have resulted in a tie or loss for the picked team. Just once were the editors correct (SKC beat Houston I think was the game). I don't tend to think these things affect game outcomes, but I don't like those stats. Hope we can buck the trend.

Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Nah, we're gonna club them like a baby seal. 3-0, comb lost on missed pk by Sanchez who had a new baby celebration all planned out and everything.

drew coho ohio repped this.
  24. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like rain... But who gives a shit... #9 will get his 100th and 101st goals vs. the smurfs..and it's the 420 holiday Sunday..can't wait to drive down to Denver tomorrow..GO RAPIDS!!!!!!

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This game has trouble written all over it. At home against a team struggling to score. And on a pitch in very good condition :). Plus, the Rapids haven't had a lot of success against the Quakes recently.

Reading between the lines of what I have been listening on podcasts the last few days it seems PM likes what he's seen from the 4-4-2, so perhaps we'll see it again. And he has also stated he wants to give everyone a rest a some point to avoid injury. So what does this mean in terms of lineup? I have no idea. But I would bet the back line will be Burch, Moor, O'Neill and Piermayr with Mari in front of them. And Powers will be on the pitch :). After that it gets interesting in terms of selection. Oh, Irwin will be in goal :).

The Rapids seem to have made a habit of figuring out how to get a result regardless of the circumstances - let's hope it continues.