WORLD CUP 2014: ESPN/ABC Coverage/TV Ratings Prognasis

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Aug 2, 2013.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that Usa - Portugal will be broadcast on ABC and not on ESPN !!!

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    ESPN Annouces Hosts for FIFA World Cup in Brazil

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/04/espn-hosts-for-fifa-world-cup-in-brazil/

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

LaxBandit repped this.
  3. BLRNerd

BLRNerd Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Glad to see Mike Tirico and Bob Ley back, always excellent presenters.

Does anyone know how good Lynsey Hipgrave is?

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn ya stole my post...LOL!

Great choices as hosts - well Ley and Tirico - not sure about Hipgrave - never saw her.

No Chris Fowler because of Wimbledon behind held from June 23 to July 6.

5. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Looking at advance ESPN Soccer calendar, we are going to see a lot of pre-World Cup programs. This will be unprecendanted move by ESPN for allocating a lot of hours towards Soccer.

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the fact that Bob Ley is knowledgeable about the sport and seems to actually enjoy it. It's going to be hard for FOX to ESPN's coverage of the WC in 2018 because FOX doesn't have the talent that ESPN does. Rob Stone has improved since moving to FOX as a host but he's not Bob Ley, lol.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Lee originally worked for the Cosmos IIRC, and has always been the voice of soccer for me. Just remember watching random qualifiers or friendlies in the 90's.

I agree that fox doesn't have anyone with that level of experience or knowledge. I hope they lean on/borrow talent from Sky, both in front and behind the camera.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I still have video of an ESPN Sportscenter from 1990 where they showed a short video preview of Italia '90.
    After the video was done, Bob Ley nonchalantly noted a few updates regarding injuries, the first set of games to be played and other tidbits to look forward to. All the while Dan Patrick kept silent while looking at Ley.
    Afterwards there was this exchange.
    Patrick: "You are the soccer guru, aren't you?"
    Ley: "Are you kidding? This is what I live for! It's the biggest event on the planet!"

KidFlash, JasonMa, owian and 1 other person repped this.
  9. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ESPN does a fantastic job covering the World Cup, although the indifference shown towards the sport by some of their personalities is a little annoying.(just watched Olbermann lead off his show with an anti-soccer rant)

10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was an anti-Times article rant -- which a lot of people are shitting on -- not really an anti-soccer rant.

KidFlash and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX most likely won't bring in talent from Sky because they really want to Americanize the game. I just wish they'd drop the Gus Johnson experiment and let JP Dellacamera be their main PBP if they really want an American voice. I think Rob Hawthorne or Alan Parry would be the best choices for FOX to bring in. I think Rob Hawthorne's style of announcing in particular would be perfect for an American audience. In order for Americans to be better at calling soccer games, they need to learn from people who can call the game correctly and naturally. At this point Americans for the most part don't sound natural at calling a game. We won't get a truly good announcer for another generation or two (assuming FOX/ESPN stick with Brits.)

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    I am guessing Fernando Palomo will be calling the Mexico and central america games this world cup?

14. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh read the article. It is a bit of a douchetastic piece. Either the author was annoyed at all the interest in European soccer and was getting a jibe in by writing an article that makes everyone look like pompous a-holes, or the author is a pompous a-hole them self. Not sure which one.

At the same time there is some truth to it. I know part of the appeal for me is the international aspect of the sport.

15. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that Usa - Portugal will be broadcast on ABC and not on ESPN !!!

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Unfortunately it will be on ESPN.

17. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://search.espn.go.com/keith-olbermann/videos/6

The Apr 17 monologue .... I guess it was an anti-NYT rant but I suspect, like a lot of ESPN regulars, he has a disdain for people who think soccer is the "next big thing"

18. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    American sports fans have been told since the 1970s that soccer was going to the be next big thing and the fans that don't like the sport love to bring it up as a way to needle the sport since it hasn't caught on with everyone. That said it is a lot different now than in 1974 considering the world is a much smaller place with the internet and with cable TV we can see just about every important soccer match on the planet is broadcast to every cable customer that has a cable box. The sport is going to continue to grow and gain new fans but there is always going to be a segment of American sports fans that will hate the game just to hate the game and will love to bring up the next big thing line.

19. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Here is more upcoming WC 2014 related programming schedule on ESPN:

@ESPN

1) 05/13/2014
    7:00 PM 8:00 PM Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

2) 05/21/2014 7:00 PM 7:30 PM Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

3) 05/29/2014 7:30 PM 8:00 PM Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

4) 06/03/2014 7:30 PM 8:00 PM Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

5) 06/07/2014 5:30 PM 8:00 PM "U.S. Men's Soccer - International Friendly"
    United States vs. Nigeria

6) 06/10/2014 8:30 PM 9:30 PM Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil 5 Tape Y "

7) 06/10/2014 9:30 PM 10:30 PM There Is No Tomorrow

8) 06/11/2014 3:00 PM 5:00 PM "2014 FIFA World Cup Preview"

And we already know that ESPN is currently airing a few documentaries leading to WC 2014

QPR Kevin H and LaxBandit repped this.
  20. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Some highlights of programming on ESPN2:

@ESPN2

05/21/2014 9:30 PM 10:30 PM ESPN FC: Most Memorable FIFA World Cup Moments

05/28/2014 8:25 PM 9:25 PM ESPN The Magazine FIFA World Cup Special

06/11/2014 5:00 PM 6:00 PM ESPN FC: FIFA World Cup Moments

All the Inside the US Soccer specials will be repeated on ESPN2 after airing on ESPN.

LaxBandit repped this.
  21. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    ABC's Pre-World Cup Schedule:

This programs are all repeats after initial airing on ESPN.

05/17/2014 2:00 PM 3:00 PM ESPN on ABC Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

05/24/2014 2:00 PM 2:30 PM ESPN on ABC Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

05/31/2014 3:00 PM 3:30 PM ESPN on ABC Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

06/07/2014 1:30 PM 2:00 PM ESPN on ABC Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

06/14/2014 5:00 PM 6:00 PM ESPN on ABC Inside: U.S. Soccer's March To Brazil

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Forgive me for asking this but... anyone know if there will be a "World Cup Kickoff Celebration Concert" like they had in South Africa and whether ESPN or ABC will televise it again? :oops:
    Four years ago the concert was the night before the opening ceremony/inaugural.

23. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I don't see anything yet, but a very likely scenario...

24. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What please Americans overall are better sports announcers than any other english speakers... Candians would be second.

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The ceremony was shown for the last 3 WCs (I wasn't here for France '98) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's shown again. I'd be shocked if it wasn't.