Canaries in a coal mine - the other teams thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Meh don't like the direction his game has developed.

2. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and they pretty much embarrassed Italy. Never gave them a sniff

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely the funniest thing i've read on BS.com in a very long time!

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think barca will regret losing thiago as he has become a deeper mid at bayern. Cesc is best as a ten but there is no room at barca for that position as the advanced players are in that space

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This.

These guys haven't had a summer off in what, 6 years? When they're not playing Euros or WC, they're off on the World Club Championship or whatever it's called. Plus years of playing deep in CL and domestic club competitions. Xavi, who's been the best player over that span IMHO, is plain wore out. Tiki taka still works, but these guys don't have the energy levels anymore to win out over all comers like they used to.

6. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    His contract runs until June 2016. He'll be 29 then. I suspect Barca's fans will be screaming for a younger player in Fabregas' position by then. Fabregas doesn't get the kind of unrelenting love Xavi does.

Then, boom, right back to Arsenal. ;)

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pep has managed to turn an exciting Bayern team into boring passers who struggle against midtable English teams.

they are very fortunate they have power players and pacy players or it would have been found out
    yeah, and they struggled winning it including doing nothing of note against Portugal in the semis.

DutchCane, Shen-O and total_football repped this.
  8. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yah, perfect timing. 2 more years then on a free. Age 29 is still in the prime, seasoned, grilled veteran.

I'd welcome him back with open arms.

9. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful there. I fully expect that when AW does retire, Pep will be his replacement.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    0/10

11. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This Bayern team has little creativity when the opponent gives them no space.

I've also noticed that Alaba and Lahm are playing in midfield quite a few times when they got possession.

Ribery has been off-form for some time now, they seem to rely on Robben's creativity.

Btw Pep is a coward who left his club as soon as José won the title for a club that's already considered as the best in the world. I rate Wenger for example, higher than him to be honest.

Shen-O repped this.
  12. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  13. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Elite teams can struggle to score even against minnows who pack 9 players in the box.

When a team like Man U does it, who have some quality AND the likes of Rooney/Welbeck to counter, any quality team will struggle to score against them and maintain a modicum of safety.

Also everyone forgets that Barca missed a penalty against Chelsea in that game that would have sent Chelsea out.

Hardly the death of tika taka or an excellent defensive display given that Chelsea would have been 3-1 after only 49 mins

Maybe Messi was the one who killed Tika taka by missing the peno :ROFLMAO:

Dhajj repped this.
  15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they are a boring team to watch and show no killer instinct in Europe. (dont care about Bundesliga since it was decided around this time last year)

I will say that Thiago is a future superstar and they are very fortunate that Barcelona is ran by complete idiots.

The style of play is over. Power football is back!

Romfordray, DutchCane and Shen-O repped this.
  16. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    WTF was that at Blackpool just now??....tennis balls??

Whatever they were...they're still projectiles being thrown on the pitch....
    ...with plenty of camera footage of the 'throwers'.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I fully agree that it needs to be addressed. And if you read all my posts, I say that of we had more depth the score lines would have at least been different if not the results. I dissagree with the OP that we should have resorted to some sunderlandesque tactics to try to eek out a point.

I only said the Chelsea score line was flukish bc of the insane red card fiasco. The others are the result of not being able to handle the press and counter attack of city and pool.

Irrespective of those results, if we'd had a deeper squad I think we would have picked up an additional 6-7 points since the beginning of March and we'd still be in it.

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's a unique interpretation - you were down 3-0 by the 18th minute regardless of the red card "fiasco".

19. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not advocating that we become Sunderland, of course. It's a conundrum. AW tried to play the same way with all the best players out and got crushed and overrun.

Ah hell, the sad thing is, despite the 21-4 catastrophe, it was the 4 points dropped recently to clearly interior opposition that would STILL have kept us in it, if we won against Stoke and not have had that fluke Flamini OG.

I think AW should have approached the 21-4 games with a more conservative, counter-attacking approach, like it was a CL match. But that's hindsight.

He just assumed he could run plan A regardless of the personnel.
    Now, he's alluding to temporarily switching to a 442.

I guess the lesson learned is that AW has great faith in all his players to run his system. Which remains both his strong point and fundamental weakness. I guess he should have realized that the players he had at his disposal weren't good enough, and he should have accommodated accordingly.

Oh well. This year hurts more than 2008 and 2011. But hopefully we'll get an actual trophy at the end of these calamities.

20. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Starting with Ox in double pivot was a rookie mistake to say the least. If you've watched José's teams, you would have noticed that his team doesn't do well against teams that give them no space. How do you want to achieve that with Ox - who has almost never played in that particular position in his career?

If you want to be seen as title contender, you can't concede so many goals against them. How come we conceded so many goals against those 2 while some other teams - including Sunderland - conceded less? Don't we have like one of the best CB pairings of the league? Or was this another failed tactic from Wenger?

If we bought a proven striker in january transfer window we might have been still in the title race, who unlike certain French strikers can score goals on a consistent basis.

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Who did you want in January that was clearly available. Remember Jose wasn't able to buy a striker in January that can score goals on a consistent basis.

22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    EVERYBODY has a price

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I dont think he knows what a striker actually is and what they do considering he kept Torres and Ba and let Lukaku go...

24. 3rd_I

3rd_I Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And_ROOS repped this.
  25. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    i don't know. i've read some of the posts on this last page.