Oklahoma City, In the Press.

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL fans have been accused of name-calling, etc...but all I've seen lateley is @NegativeCreep calling people "asshats", and weasels". And might i point out, hopefully for the last time, this is the NASL forum. I will not troll on the Energy boards, so why are you accusing OKC FC people of being so bad, and yet you are the one calling people names, on their own forum? Seriously. I'm tired of all of this. Like I said above, you support your team, and I'll support mine. Fair enough? If not, then maybe it's not me that has the "bad attitude"

2. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Considering I was not even talking to you, was responding to a post where I was mentioned, and never called anyone specifically an asshat, merely pointed out behavior, how about YOU keep my name out of your mouth?

And I know this is the NASL forum, and we are discussing the NASL. So how about you stay on topic?

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks for point how how I NEVER called an individual an asshat. A group? Yes, when describing their behavior. A specific person? Nope. Try again.

And try to stay on topic.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Energy fans aren't going to have anything to do with the NASL team, why are they posting here and not La Fora du Energie?

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  6. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Same reason you post in the Energy forum.

7. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not enjoying this; however it was forthcoming...

Suggest that you express yourselves and get these ill-feeling out in the open or use private individual one-on-one conversations to address your concerns and prepare to move on...

We're all excited about soccer--that's the good with this Big Soccer Boards' vehicle. Save some of this stored vigor as a trigger to support our Oklahoma City soccer teams.

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Ive already apologized if anything I said offended anyone. I think comments about the team are free game, but personal name-calling isn't. Anyone else agree?

Laramie repped this.
  9. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he never said you called an individual an asshat, he mentioned people, which you did and you even admit. So why so sensitive? Bottom line is dont use the language if you dont want to be called out for it.

10. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Except where he did. Now stay in your lane chief.

11. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that bad? I thought more soccer was good.

No more nauseating that your Roughneck nostalgia in an OKC forum.

And yet the investors forge ahead. Either's they have more money than common sense, have a dogged enthusiasm and belief in their product not seen by many, or they believe Funk Jr will run out of the money Funk Sr. gave him.

I can honestly say I wouldn't. I find Jr & his new business partner and lease daddy, just a bit distasteful.

Don't you have a Roughnecks autograph to jack off on?
    Depends on who you ask. Every time someone brings up a city for MLS, they always note that it being a youth soccer hotbed makes it the perfect candidate.
    So, prejudice saves time? And I thought you'd be such a fine person to have a beer with. What you must think of me?
    The current ownership will be a minority interest in any push to MLS, they didn't have the capital in 2002, and they don't now.

What point was that? It's not Tulsa so it sux to the maxxor?
    I've seen you post this a couple of times, please cite said attacks. Note, people disagreeing with you isn't the same as an attack on your character

Can you plot that much hyperbole on a graph?

I sort of feel the same way when EnergyFan tells me the war is over and I should support the Energy and drink the lime green kool-aid.

But you think the Energy ownership who couldn't afford a 10 million entry fee in 2002 and wanted to pay it out over 5 years, can now afford a 60-90 million one time outlay?
    So one of us is going to have to take the high road eventually

13. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, that it does my friend. And we can share a beer, let's just agree to discuss something we can all agree on, such as the douciness of Christina Fallin.

It could take a while to get to eventually.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "
    Good on you, you've picked your team to support, and you don't troll over here on the NASL forums with negativity like Creep.

Agree with you there, Jacksonville looks like a strong entry. OKC NASL has a lot of work to do and things to iron out if they're going to make the debut in 2015.

ManuSooner repped this.
  15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #190 USRufnex, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    You're just jealous because all you got for soccer nostalgia in OKC is Brian Harvey.
    BTW, I wasn't the one who made the TOA rename itself the NASL and bring back the Rowdies, Strikers and Cosmos.
    I also didn't go to the OKC school board and invoke the Cosmos and Pele legacy over and over again (that was Brad).
    I also didn't suggest the Red Dirt Brigade rename themselves the "83 Ultras."

And yet, having a couple of local sugar daddies competing over you doesn't make you pretty or smart.
    It just means you're no different than a two-bit french whore.

You're obsessing here.
    Maybe you should show me on the doll what I did to you.
    Besides, don't you have some OKC NASL inaugural scarves to help design? Ones that'll be shipped out by your favorite "Crap Seattle company:" Ruffneck?

"Can you plot that much hyperbole on a graph?"

16. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get really skeptical when someone claims a finality to anything about this whole mess. A year ago, I was totally thrilled to have a team (singular, not plural). No one on this board could have envisioned what has transpired in that time.

OKCFC gave me and hundreds of others a fun and memorable first season last summer, and the ownership had (and still has) high hopes for future of the club, which I would like to see come to pass.

Energy's launch and timing upset me initially, and still does, to a point - we HAVE a team here! This just about spite and gamesmanship! - and I initially believed (like others) that Prodigal was not going to follow through with their earlier plans and/or make a complete mess of everything.

This has not been the case, obviously. Energy has sold out the home opener and nearly sold out the supporters' section, has hired a capable soccer staff, and the team is playing pretty well for an expansion side. They've also managed to poach a key piece to OKCFC's group (although not an irreplaceable one, evidently).

Many (Pro-Energy) people now are wishing that OKCFC would fold up shop because of Energy's current perceived superiority...but that would ignore the incredibly fluid nature of this saga, which very well could change who has the upper hand again in very short order.

I do look forward to the possibility of NASL games here in a year's time...but I'm not aware of that groups' plans for the future, either immediate (no announced stadium or schedule for a season that starts in less than a month) or long-term (a stadium that meets NASL standards, a strategy to capture a larger audience than their competition*)

I want to go to live soccer games in my town, and unless there are Nazi War Criminals involved, I could really care less who the owners are. Energy has a stadium (now and next year) in a relatively central location and a schedule set - not to mention a couple of wins. OKCFC has a (very cool) new crest and scarf contest, but I have no way to plan my summer around their schedule at this point, which is worrisome - most NPSL teams are planning on their fans showing up in a month.

(*-Don't give me that BS about "Teams just need to focus on their own operations and not worry about others"; businesses don't operate in some Ayn Rand objectivist realm where no external factors impact the success or failure of an effort, especially if said efforts are professional soccer teams in a mid-sized media market with heretofore unserved and unproven base of fans.)

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Tulsan - always thinking people are jealous of your defunct team in a defunct league. But you are right about one thing, no one should every have to be subjected to Brian's jibbajabba. Did you guy pal around when you went to OCU?
    Probably above your tax bracket
    I wasn't aware Pele had a legacy other than showing up at FIFA events to collect some coins
    Did they do that? I have no idea, since I don't follow them.
    What was that you said, Coco?
    Fixed your post
    I don't think I have time. How's school going?
    Are they still in business? I notice they dropped certain MLS scarves after the SG's threatened legal action on the intellectual Property they stole
    I don't know, can you?

18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #193 USRufnex, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    The typical OKCer knew next to nothing about the team BACK WHEN THEY ACTUALLY EXISTED.
    The only person from Okie City I ever coerced into seeing a game with me went along only because there was a Beach Boys concert after the game (against the Cosmos, btw)... and I was best man at his wedding.....

So, if I couldn't get any of my OCU friends to go with me to see a top shelf pro soccer team thirty years ago, I seriously doubt the typical OKC fan who's never lived in Tulsa knows or cares much (if at all) about the Roughnecks now (with the notable exceptions of Funk Jr and Brad Lund).

Heck, I bet there are more soccer fans in Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, New York and maybe even Jacksonville who know who the old Roughnecks were compared to OKC. But then again, I couldn't drag any of my friends kicking and screaming to go a few blocks down the street to Taft Stadium to watch the Slickers, either... because, you know, sokkur = boring, pinko-commie liberal sport.

Nope, but I do remember him starting the program there and I went to a handful of games.
    I never made the connection that he actually coached the Slickers before they moved to Tulsa in 1985... presumably to die. Fun trivia: That was the last time two professional soccer teams squared off in the same market in Oklahoma. Neither one lasted the season.

It was stupefyingly ironic to witness Brad and Commish Peterson's NASL presentation to the OKC school board.
    No mention of how well San Antonio was doing, no mention of the excitement surrounding Indianapolis... just a whole lot of... nastalgia <<cough cough>> being presented to an audience who didn't give a rats-you-know-what about the Cosmos or Pele.

That was one of the suggestions (presumably from the FO) on the old NASL supporter facebook page as a name to replace the Red Dirt Brigade.

While we're on the subject, where's the RDB? There's an easy road trip for NPSL preseason cup doubleheader games a week from Friday and Saturday at our stadium up the turnpike. $5 at the tailgate will get you into the Dead Armadillo kegger along with what I am told will be some fine vittles served up by the Tulsa Ultras' official BBQ sponsor.....
    [​IMG]

I'll add one caveat to my opinion that NASL OKC should quit while they're behind... if they can somehow secure Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark for 2015, they may be able to turn things around by poaching the fanbase from Taft. That stadium would be make an easier fit for soccer than Oneok Park in t-town.

19. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only us Gen-Xers and boomers really remember the Roughnecks; Millenials (which make up the bulk of the soccer fan demographic) could not have possibly known about them, much less attended their games. It would be like expecting me to care about the Tulsa Oilers baseball team. And the appetite for soccer is far different than it was 30 years ago. To repeat, soccer's biggest fans weren't even born yet.

A bit hard to plan a summer when you don't know when or where the games are.

NegativeCreep and Laramie repped this.
  20. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant

is truly an ambassador for our city.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010