Is Aron's selection for the US nat team in danger?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Last weekend match was nr 9 or 10 in a row that Aron delivered a performance that was not good to say the least. His ratings took a nose dive and depending on which publication you read they were from 4 to 5.5, with the majority of the rating in the 4 range.
    This bad run is too long to contribute it to being overstretched by the number of matches. Jozy had his bad days too, but mostly they were about 2 matches long. This bad run is unique, so would that have been on Jurgen's radar with consequences?
    And what is causing it?

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have not seen his games but could he be tired? I think he has played many minutes and tends to go all out and it is his first year with this much responsibility, etc. Cameron got exhausted at the end of the 2012/2013 season but I am not seeing it this year. He looks very fresh.

3. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    #3 nowherenova, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Deuce has looked like crap for most of this year. Lately look out. Soccer is a sport with performance peaks and valleys, especially where forward players are concerned. Hopefully, AJ will get some mojo back in the warmup matches. Jozy too for that matter, but his case strikes me (no pun intended) as a bit more concerning...

Oh and no he's still on the 23.

4. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy will never see the pitch again this season so if anything his chances have gone up.

nowherenova and Martin Fischer repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I would vote for exhausted. This is his first full year at this level and he's played a lot of games and minutes. We see this all the time with MLS rookies coming from college. They often start off on fire and completely run out of gas towards the end of the season.

There is a lot of pressure and expectations on AJ. That's why FIFA has mandatory rest period for players called into their World Cup squads. It's pretty short, but it at least lets them attend to things they may have been putting off and draining their energy by worrying about it.

6. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're exaggerating a bit. Whoscore has his last 10 games averaging to a 6.7. Not a single 4.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Connor Wickham has moved ahead of AJ and Jozy et al.

DiscoWarrior11 and BostonRed repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder f Klinsmann understands this.

I have Aron in my starting 11 but that assumes he gets a special treatment from Klnsi and staff because the guy is very, very young. He has to click with the rest of the team and half a very clear purpose.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He has 25 goals this season in all competitions, so absolutely not. He's allowed to have a bad month.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously don't understand these threads.

I feel like the 30 is pretty settled since we've seen some consistent players called in over the last few months. And yes, that includes Aron.

I could see creating this thread for Benny Feilhaber. But the guy that's been consistently called in - huh?

FW__ and SamsArmySam repped this.
  11. I donot give a damn about that scoresheet. I see the scores by AD Sportwereld, Voetbal International and Telesport and the run is in all those publications mostly 4 with 5.5 as the highest, given by former soccer players.

12. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure which thread is more ridiculous, the one questioning whether or not Jozy is going to Brazil, Dempsey is going to Brazil, or this one. They're all going. Get a grip people.

Berks repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wasn't he MOTM just 11 days ago, away to Roda? He got a goal and an assist. Not too shabby.

14. You must be joking, he was awarded a 4 out of 10 by both Voetbal International and AD Sportwereld and he missed at the end of the match point blank chances that would have given AZ the (undeserved) victory. Voetbal International called them "dream chances". Hardly MOTM comments by the leading soccer publications. And no assist.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, in continental Europe they don't bother counting assists. But the pass for Henriksen's goal came from Aron.

From what I've seen of him in AZ, he still has growth to do. He is fast, has very good ball control, and his shots can bend like few in our pool can do. But he lacks composure, often positions himself on the wrong side of the defenders, and can be pushed to the floor or off the ball fairly easily.

He's not exactly lighting it up down there. He's been a bit "meh" of late, actually. Still, doing a lot better than any non-MLS forward right now. Including Herc Gomez, who has not scored in months, and is mostly a bencher with the dogs.

16. Voetbal International always gives the assists, as you would know if you followed my publication of the Yanks in the Eredivisie. I always gave the assists and goals of Jozy, Kazzy and of Aron. I stopped the publication as the numbers were depressing to publish for more than 2 months now.
    This thread isnot ment as a way to put him down, but genuinly interest in the consequenses of the serious loss of form.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    When was the last time we omitted a player from our World Cup squad because of low ratings in European newspapers?

DiscoWarrior11 and FW__ repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #18 Suyuntuy, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Then you missed that assist, although it was unintentional (ball bounced off AJ after FK and fell to Henriksen's feet). Video #5 here:

http://eurorivals.net/roda~az-alkmaar-highlights-video-06-04-2014

Frankly, I try not to follow blogs from Italian-Americans about the Americans in Serie A, or Dutch-Americans about Americans in the Netherlands, or of German-Americans about Americans in Germany, etc. They tend to be extremely negative in their view of the US players. Who knows why.

19. So it wasnot an assist
    , as VI rightly so gave the ball as a deflected ball and not an assist.
    This sounds to me as very much an inferiority feeling, that when the leading soccer magazine gives the truthful rating of his bad run, it is because of the negative attitude toward "' Americans". But when he was in form and he got very good ratings of the same raters I didnot hear of biased pro "American" attitudes leading to those "inflated" ratings.
    But to come back to the fact that you started to call him in this Roda match the MOTM person, when all three leading rating tables of the league gave him a 4,4 and 5 and you need to come up with an invented assist, I begin to wonder if you are searching for ratings and evaluations that suit your perceptions, instead of excepting reality.
    And that reality is that he is enormously out of form for a long stretch of matches now.
    And of course Jurgen doesnot select on ratings, but I think he does on how well he can expect a player to deliver when it matters. In that respect the ratings are an indication to how he is doing, and the fact that it is now a seriously long stretch without any improvement is something JK will focus on. What do you think Advocaat will say when JK calls him for info on how he is doing, that Aron is setting the sky on fire with his performance?
    Aron has the luck that his replacement at AZ is performing even worse, when lined up in the attack. Otherwise he wouldnot be on the pitch at all.

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets pump the breaks a bit on overstating his youth.

23.5 in soccer in not in any way, shape or form "very very young"

Green would be considered young, Zaleham, very very young.

Bacon is not and should not by anyone be considered in that category. He is now a fully season pro starting to enter his prime years as a striker.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In terms of international experience he is young. He cant expect to play like he does in Eredvise. This will be hard. He did zip against Scotland, Austria and Ukraine for a reason.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have no issue with admitting that Aron has been quite "meh" of late.

Still better than Jozy, though. Sigh.

23. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durrrrr.....

24. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    This is why we have to start looking to develop a better striker option for 2018, none of these guys are good enough to be world class strikers i feel.