MLS 2014 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't need to be willing to share. Garber already stated the league would be more than happy to have an exclusive deal.

But the exclusive deal can't come in way under what the other 3 are willing to pay. And at this point, I don't see any logical way that gap can be bridged.

NBC has no need to come back to the table and MLS can't beg them to come back because that will only hurt them in the final price which was likely the issue to start with.

2. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is worse. FSC was in way more households. FS2 was FUEL which was almost non-existant. FS2 would be an absolute disaster if it happens.

# of households in millions (as of Aug 2013)
    Fox Soccer Channel = 53
    FS2 = 38
    FS1 = 86
    NBC Sports = 78
    ESPN = 98
    ESPN2 = 98

It appears 98-100 million homes is complete saturation as there aren't any numbers higher than that.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-coverage-estimates-as-of-august-2013/199072/

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nor should MLS come back. TV money pays for better players which drives quality which drives tv ratings. No amount of production quality will do the league as much good as hard cash.

MLSFan123, Revolt and 007Spartan repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, why not use a chunk of the 300M+ in expansion fees coming to the league over the next few years to bump quality, while also staying on NBCSN with better production, higher ratings and EPL lead-ins, even if the contract is less?

Obviously cash will help the league, it would help anyone or any entity, but it's not like there isn't over a 1/4 billion in cash coming the league's way from NYCFC/Orlando/ATL, and that's not even counting Miami. Could be over 400M in the next 4-5 years alone from those four expansion teams.

Now I don't know how expansion fees are allocated(anyone have info on that?), but it would appear to be quite ridiculous to not use some of that 300-400M to boost quality and instead go to a garbage media outlet in Fox over whatever the difference is in the NBCSN and Fox offers, whether it's 10M or 20M as that's a fraction of the cash which will come to MLS through expansion. Use some of the expansion fees to boost quality/depth and take advantage of everything NBCSN offers which Fox doesn't, as they're superior to Fox in every aspect aside from cash in the rumored deal.

5. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    The Miami payment from Beckham to MLS would be only $25M, no?

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1131 MLSFan123, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Correct.

Atlanta: $70-100m
    NYC: $100m
    Orlando: $70m
    Miami: $25m

Combined: $265-$295m

This money will be distributed to owners to help balance the massive amount of cash calls over the years.

Very roughly $13m per owner, depending on how they divide this up.

It is also worth remembering that MLS possibly paid XX millions to take over Chivas and absorb those yearly losses. Until they sell Chivas, some of this expansion money may have to go towards that funding.

JasonMa and FayMountaineer repped this.
  7. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This. FS2 isn't even carried on cable in MLS' biggest local ratings market (Seattle.)

8. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think that is a huge leap of faith. We have no proof that significant investment in "quality" will mean much if anything for ratings. I'd put lead in as the #1 driver of ratings right now. Nobody has better right now than NBC for the demo MLS is trying to reach.

What we do know is that we're finally seeing some traction with NBC, and to move now would be a huge downer. To go from NBC where MLS has been treated like a first tier property to Fox, where you're behind baseball, nascar, UFC, and lots of football is not appetizing. I'd go further and say that it's not a good demo fit compared to NBC, who has more skin in the "alternative" sports game. If we go to a 3rd tier network like FS2....holy cow what a step down in every possible metric.

looknohands, Westside Cosmo and Boloni86 repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Because expansion money goes to the share holders. TV money goes to player salaries. That's the typical pro sports setup. If MLS starts using expansion fees for for salaries that's a slippery road to insolvency.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    FOX has more than 4 options. MLS games could also be scheduled to be carried (or simulcast) on other channels within the Fox family of (entertainment and/or sports) networks.

Not saying it is likely, but FOX could certainly opt to show MLS (or SUM content) matches on Fox Deportes or FX or FXX or even on the syndication broadcaster MyNetworkTV.

Of those, beyond your initial list of four options, the Fox Deportes (simulcast) seems most likely, with the other cable and syndication options being less likely destinations for MLS/SUM content.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that there are also investors who aren't owners (Horowitz, for example, was still a MLS investor even after they folded the Fusion). They get paid too.

redinthemorning and MLSFan123 repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Long term, player quality is what drives ratings. I don't think that there can be much discussion about that.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Cultural relevance drives ratings.

(But yes, "player quality" can and will help drive cultural relevance here in the USA/Canada for MLS, at some point.)

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if posted, but an Interview with the president of Univision’s sports division.

Talks MLS towards the end of the article.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...co-equally-important.html#Jr1sFkt4CcIxIOO6.99

Boloni86, Allez RSL and tab5g repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Depends on what % MLS might consider using. We also don't know whether or not tv money from this deal would go to player salaries. It could, but could also go to paying off debt as has been discussed in the YBTD forum. We know what a typical pro sports setup looks like, and that's not MLS either.

Insolvency is a bit of a scare tactic here. Yeah it could happen by directing too much of the expansion fees to player salaries. But until MLS actually opens its books and becomes more transparent, we don't really know how much of a risk that is.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #1141 ielag, Apr 18, 2014
    Regardless of Fox's production, I think they do an outstanding job cross promoting their sports. I've seen Champions League commercials during an NFL game, UFC commercials during the World Series, etc. Then they'll show graphics during the telecast promoting upcoming sports telecasts. Plus, they also cross promote a lot on their regional sports networks.

I also like on the FS1 bottom line ticker, they show which network is televising the game even if it's ESPN, NBC, etc.

While the production of NBC has been outstanding, I've never felt they've gone out of their way to promote their MLS telecasts. I've seen more F1 commercials/promotions than MLS.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1142 jond, Apr 18, 2014
    I agree to an extent. I do think improved player quality leads to improved ratings at some point but also think it is quite an assumption that improved player quality if funneling ~2M more to each MLS team from this next tv deal into player salaries will lead to higher tv ratings when the games are likely to be shown on FS1/2. I'm not convinced at all that that's enough of a boost in salaries that ratings will increase when considering all the negatives Fox brings to the table.

More likely IMO that ratings drop if MLS signs a deal with Fox, whether there's improved quality or not and while ~2M per team extra would improve quality, how much it would is another question. It's incredibly hopeful to suggest improved quality will lead to higher ratings on Fox if comparing those ratings to the current NBCSN ratings. I also think the EPL lead-ins are undervalued here. Take away the EPL lead-ins and go to Fox and I think ratings drop a decent amount. A slight boost in quality doesn't negate those negatives and bring in the same ratings. Boost quality a hypothetical 5 or 10% but throw Gus Johnson or Wynalda or Dellecamera in the booth with worse production and I'm likely not watching anywhere near as much as I would on NBCSN, and I know a number of fans feel that way too. I'm not watching NT games either with any of those guys in the booth combined with poor production. I'm watching in Spanish or on a UK stream.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...rld-Cup-plan-US-Mexico-equally-important.html

This is a really good article on Univision's plans. Lots of MLS stuff at the end.

By the way Univision agrees with me. :p

19. yo soy otro

yo soy otro Red Card

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.socceramerica.com/articl...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

[SOCCER ON THE AIR] The Portland-Seattle thriller averaged 277,000 viewers on NBCSN, pushing the season average for MLS on NBCSN to 223,000 through Week 5, up 94 percent from last year's average for five games.

The Seattle-Sporting KC game (330,000 viewers) on opening day and Portland-Seattle match have both drawn more fans than any MLS game did on NBCSN in 2013.

There is no MLS game on NBCSN this weekend and just three more until MLS's World Cup break.

MLS on NBCSN: First Five Games (2014)
    330,000 Seattle-Sporting KC (March 8)
    171,000 Seattle-Toronto FC (March 15)
    180,000 Real Salt Lake-LA Galaxy (March 22)
    157,000 D.C. United-Chicago (March 29)
    277,000 Portland-Seattle (April 5)
    Average: 223,000.

MLS on NBCSN: First Five Games (2013)
    107,000 Houston-D.C. United (March 2)
    79,000 Chicago-New England (March 9)
    82,000 Sporting KC-Chicago (March 16)
    209,000 Seattle-Portland (March 23)
    97,000 D.C. United-Columbus (March 30)
    Average: 114,800.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sure, if it's a small percentage and only a temporary measure until a tv deal comes in. Like for instance the "player retention funds" from last year. However, you don't want to do that unless you know you will have funds available in a couple of years. What you don't do is take less money in a TV deal, use most of your expansion money to tide you over until the next deal 4, 5 or 10 years later.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That was with no EPL lead in right? So that's a 30%ish increase on last year from the exact same game. Might just be due to Seattle's bigger population since this game was in Portland and the last was in Seattle. Still hard to say with this small sample size. Nonetheless, can't argue with the fact that all this year's games have been all a lot higher than last year's average.

22. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch on the Fox Deportes, forgot about their Spanish channel. Seems like MLS is prioritizing promotion, added MLS content, and time slots over other concerns and with a long term deal. This might be the best strategy long term. Fox has used it's family of networks as bargaining chips in the past( pulled FX, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional sports networks from Dish) to increase the rates paid by carriers. So it's just a matter of time befor FS2 is on par with FS1 as far as number of households. The bigger question is after this eight year deal is done, will it still be important for MLS games to be on Sports networks. What benefit does it provide? Does ESPN start pimping MLS like it's other properties or just show the games? Same question for FOX, ratings will determine the outcome. If in eight years ratings improve but not enough to change ESPN and FOX's promotion strategy, maybe moving some games to a non sports channel would be a good option. If all you get from the sports channels is game time, then what is the point of being on a network that bounces the games around on multiple networks and times?

23. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Agreed. Long term, it's important for MLS to be a top 8 league in quality. importing the kind of player available to MLS right now isn't going to achieve enough in ratings to justify the investment. It's general improvement in the American/Concacaf player pool that will bring the quality up.

Foreign high profile quality should be viewed as the gravy, not the potatoes.

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your "matter of time" spans in the decades, maybe.....

But FS2, like Fuel before it will never catch FS1 in any timely fashion that will affect the upcoming deal. The station has been stuck in the 30 million household range forever.

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And again we need to continue pounding home the fact that no one can predict where the EPL is going to end up when this very short deal with NBC ends.

People keep talking about the EPL leadins on NBC like they are going to be there forever and no one knows that right now.

Allez RSL repped this.