Random Thoughts About UK Television

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by frasermc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I watched the first two episodes of series 2 of Line of Duty, really digging it so far. The one girl that played Georgia, is she in Call the Midwife? And just how is Call the Midwife?

Does anyone watch Mr. Selfridge? What's it about? Good show?

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I, for one, love Call the Midwife. It's an exquisitely paced show about 4 nuns and 4 midwives working in a poor London almost-slum just after the war. It's about women helping women give birth and providing ancillary care to their families. The show is not for everyone, but there is very little manufactured drama since birth can pretty dramatic in and of itself. The acting is first rate.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The Bletcheley Circle starts on Sunday night. PBS ch 9 on DirecTv.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

We didn't watch Mr Selfridge. We had to choose between that or The Paradise (as they are fairly similar in style and execution). We chose the later as it was filmed on location in the north east but gave up on it after season 1 as it was fairly standard fair.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #55 usscouse, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    I've been quietly enjoying Selfridge. They're doing a good job with it. The history itself is really interesting, just the fact that an American could start a successful department store in London is amazing.

A sign of the times though, The dying times of the aristocracy. The unwashed masses becoming self aware, realizing their strength with unionism. Then the coming of the huge social changes with WWI and the aftermath. People were ready for progress.

Bletchley 2 started last night. Carried on in the unassuming manner it left off with the first series. It could be good.

frasermc repped this.
  6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Disc 2 of Line of duty is up next, should arrive tomorrow.
    I'm not sure if the first series was a 2 discer or if disc 2 is actually series 2...:confused:
    Either way it'll be worth watching.

Oh and I see that the Musketeers starts in June on directv.
    I doubt any show could beat the 2 part movie with Michael York and Oliver Reed though.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Series 2 of Line of Duty is on Netflix?

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Relatively few British people even know who the smug glassy eyed git is.

9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can certainly recommend that one. And it doesn't go on forever like the American ones.

frasermc repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished watching series 2 of Line of Duty last night. Good stuff, really good. Looking forward to the next two series.

I'm going to start watching Mr. Selfridge tonight, apparently Amazon Prime has exclusivity on the first series.

usscouse and frasermc repped this.
  11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I thought Keeley Hawes was outstanding in it and the 2x main interview scenes were terrific viewing that just seemed to fly by.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did go along pretty quickly, but I think that can be a good thing. You're not sitting there thinking c'mon hurry up and finish.

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A triumphant return. My best friend DVRed it and we had an enjoyable evening of it. There were 8 of us watching the show and waaay too much crowd noise, so we'll have to watch it again some time, but looking forward to the next installments.

usscouse repped this.
  14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Caught the Netfix 2nd disc series 1 last night. Last 2 episodes. Liked it better than the first 3 episodes. Or more likely I was familiar with the story and characters. Had to end the way it did.

I have series 2 on my list now, seems to be a change in the cast (Keeley Hawes) which will be welcome.

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So the 6 part BBC drama The Crimson Field based upon the nurses working near the front line during the 1st World War finished last week.

Quite disappointing overall. Can't help but feel they could have made a lot more out of this than they eventually did.

Prey has also concluded but I have only managed to watch the 1st episode of this 3 parter so far. It's started off well enough with John Simm in fine form as usual. Looking forward to the other two parts.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished the first series of Mr. Selfridge. Not bad, nothing outstanding, but not bad. Now I've got the second series all lined up to go.

17. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Classic Brit TV as done by Amish

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Finished watching Prey. Even John Simm couldn't save this from falling into the instantly forgettable category. Gabriel Byrne stars in a new 3 part drama starting on Sunday (I think) called Quirke. He plays the chief pathologist of Dublin's city morgue.

Byrne himself has stated recently that he believes more and more actors will take on TV roles as the majority of serious writers are flocking away from movie scripts to do TV serials etc -

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And talking of scripts..:) I've been enjoying DCI Banks, but some of the writings and direction make me cringe at times.

Maybe I just like trips across the Yorkshire Moors with the sky filtered down to "Moody" :)

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #70 usscouse, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    One of the Circle was the daughter in the movie Philomina.

I know her, now where from...???? :thumbsdown:

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tried Hit & Miss the other day. Couldn't get past the first episode. Show is about a pre-op transgender man to woman who finds out he fathered a child when the mother dies of cancer. (S)he arrives to find out there are 4 children to take care of and (s)he is very much a fish out of water. And to add to the hi-jinks, (s)he's a contract killer.

More schtick than story. Cancelled after one season.

download.jpg

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just finished watching the 6 part crime drama (BBC) Happy Valley.

[​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely recommend it. I had no interest in it originally as I am not a fan of Sarah Lancashire but my arm was twisted by the wife and I found it to be an absorbing, gritty and well thought out crime drama. Personally I felt it could have been condensed into 5 episodes but that's a very small niggle on my part. Well worth a watch.

Trailer below -

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to checkout one :
    The Bletchley Circle
    Endeavour
    Broad Church
    The Returned
    The Fall

next, any thoughts? Excuse my lazy post and thanks for any recommends

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Out of the 5 the only one I'm not a big fan of is Endeavour. I was never into Inspector Morse in his later years and his early years hold about the same amount of appeal for me.

Of the other 4, although not a UK show I would suggest The Returned. I thought it was extremely well done. It could have degenerated into typical TV horror territory but it was always far more than that. In saying that I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them.

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broadchurch and The Fall were pretty good. I really liked The Fall.

Broadchurch is being remade for the US market as a limited series, it will air on FOX in the fall and it's titled Gracepoint. David Tennant, who was in Broadchurch, will be playing essentially the same character in the remake.