Best Story of the week - 2014

Discussion in 'Referee' started by camconcay, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Did the PK go in the goal? If so, then it should have been a rekick if the encroachment was by the attacking side. But if not, then an IFK coming out was the correct restart.

2. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't provide enough detail:

It did go in the goal and the encroachment was by the kicking team (attacking side).

Once again, CRAP. :)

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  4. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the team is going to file a protest, they were more curious and questioning. Still, certainly a black eye for us and gives an opinionated league more fuel to complain.

5. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I could help and live the Demotivator: "it could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others"

dadman repped this.
  6. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #556 Chas (Psyatika), Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    He did say that he was "writing down the goal," so I'd like to believe it was the one that was scored on the PK, and not one from the 10-0 game ;)

Anyway, I've only ever run out onto the field once to stop an incorrect restart, but this would have been my 2nd if I was there. This is one of the few situations where an AR really does have to insist.

7. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like you I've run out onto the field only once to stop an incorrect restart - it was a situation just like this except I was the AR closer to the PK.

My thought was "maybe the ball didn't go in the goal after all" or something else. I didn't realize what was happening, perhaps I just froze. I guess from my far side vantage point (it's a huge turf field) I didn't think I had enough info to know one way or another.

8. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That happened to me as a CR right after they changed the rule to include the IFK. Since then, I cut the chart our of the ATR, laminated it, and keep it behind my scoresheet in my wallet.

voiceoflg and soccerman771 repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think walking through the logic should make it pretty easy to remember:

The defense side is easy: if it scores, goal [otherwise we punish the wrong team]; if it doesn't, retake.

The attacker side is a bit more nuanced. Most obviously, they can't score if they offend. So if they score, retake it, except that we have [somewhat bizarrely, IMHO] decided additional sanctions are necessary if the wrong player takes the kick, in which case the kick is forfeited.* Conceptually, the PK offense is more serious than the technical infraction, so the forfeiting the kick is too serious of a punishment.

Only if hte kick is missed, and an infraction is called on the attackers, is it in an IFK. And the rationale is simple: it would be unfair to permit a second kick for an attacker's offense, but the encroachment gave them an advantage on playing any rebound. So the only fair thing is to give the defense the ball on an IFK.

Other than the ball kicked backwards or by the wrong person, the logic all flows pretty cleanly once the rationale is understood and it should be easy to remember.

_______
    * The ball being kicked backwards is arguably an additional exception since it never went in play by moving forward.

10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Or before the referee signals for the kick.

11. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had to use my cheat sheet yet and it's been quite a while since that happened. I still keep it there kind of like a security blanket.

dadman repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

?? A kick taken before the referee signals is not an infraction -- though it may be delaying the restart. If the referee hasn't signalled, the kick didn't happen, just as any other restart that requires a signal . . .

13. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Absolutely true, but when you give a retake to a player who just missed the PK thanks to their kicking it before you signal, you can get a strong negative reaction from players/coaches/spectators who don't understand the rule/law. As one of the periodic posters here can attest.

chaoslord08 repped this.
  14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That is of course true. And darn IFAB for the change (4-5 years ago?) that required a whistle instead of a signal for taking the PK -- took away the route of deeming what you had done as the signal, which it must have been understood as by the player or he wouldn't hve taken the kick, right? I always remind the kicker on a PK that she needs to wait for the whistle. And on KFTPM, I remind every kicker. I've never had one go early. (Doh!! Shouldn't have said that . . . I know what is going to happen on my next PK now!)

dadman repped this.
  15. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And that makes it harder to stop a player on the run up for the PK before everything is in place and everyone is ready. "Stop!" should be used instead of leaning on the whistle, or the player might say that you did whistle before the kick was taken.

16. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had player do something like this in and adult game. It was a play-off and down to KFTM. It's the tenth kicker and he will either tie or lose. As I ask the keeper if he's ready and bring the whistle to my mouth, I see the kicker approach the ball out of the corner of my eye. The kick and the whistle happen at virtually the same time, but the keeper saved the shot. The kicker tried to say I hadn't signalled before he started the kick so he could have a retake. If the ball had gone in, I would order a retake for trying to game me. ;)

dadman repped this.
  17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Last week in the Champions League a yellow card was issued two days in a row when a ceremonial free kick was taken before the referee had whistled for it.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And well it should.

While the ATR says the player should be warned on the first occurence (for both PK and FK), that sounds to me like appropriate "low level" advice and that at "real" levels of soccer, it should be a first time caution every time -- clearly calculated behavior at that level.

dadman repped this.
  19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Just got email from tourney assignor.....tomorrow's arrival time pushed back an hour and fifteen! Major sleep benefit.

20. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Socal Lurker has it right, I don't know if you did anything wrong or not. If your authority for that field was all day, and that information was communicated to the coaches, then I have no problem. But if you were not, no matter what you happen to be wearing, a coach would have every right to be upset with you acting as if you did, especially if you came into the technical area and talked to his players.

And I think it is fairly obvious that I am not a referee, which means that I would have done nothing. What would a referee have done if I did (step in, tell the coaches to be quiet, enter the technical area to speak to a player)? Along those same lines, what would have happened if you had called the referee over and had him dismiss the coaches? Would the coaches have had any recourse, since the referee is presumably to be free from any outside interference?

21. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be a spectator, in that case you should not be on the team side of the field per all the leagues I work in. So I would address it and ensure you do not communicate with the coaches and players during the game. In the case of this referee and situation, where he is in referee uniform, and is switching between games with me at the same field. I would likely have a pregame with him about deputizing him as the fourth and inform both coaches that I have given him the authority to act as a 4O. If I was on the sideline I would have no qualms becoming involved to manage the benches. The badge and uniform confer authority and it would be a waste not to use it to assist the man in the middle.

22. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Couple of stories.

Last night for a VB that I was the middle on I looked BACK to AR2 5 times when a goal was scored, there was a deep throw-in or goal kick. Additionally, one of the goal keepers was always late getting to the ball and the opponents were significantly faster so I always had to get there to make sure there wasn't a foul. Every time the keeper would grab the ball, run to the edge of the penalty area and launch it. At half time I told the ARs to watch the goalkeepers/kick takers because they were putting it back in play so fast, I had to turn and run to try and get close to being in position.

Sunday I was the middle on a U-15 Boys game that had two red cards for the same (home) team. The first was 2CT where the kid was a numskull twice. The second and much more interesting situation was about 10 minutes after the first send off. Home #2 was fouled as he attempted to dribble the ball out of his defensive end. I whistled for the foul, but he was pissed so he tried to kick out the legs of his opponent. I called out for Home #2 to turn around to caution him for UB. He turned around took two steps, smacked my chest, and walked away. I sent him packing as well (yes I have filled out the Referee Assault form). Turns out they are brothers and the coach, after the game, asked if I was going to write it up as idiot brother one and idiot brother two.

dadman, MrPerfectNot and Law5 repped this.
  23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've done it before, albeit not in uniform. During my son's first season as a 14-yo grade 9. He was having an awful game (truly a meaningless U-10 girls, 3rd division game) made much worse by three overweight coaches who were constantly yelling at him (and their own players, and the grass, and the ball etc). When I asked them to back off, stating I will discuss his issues with him at halftime, I got the "Who are you? You can't be there. We are going to report you to the league office." I identified myself as the referee's father as well as a referee, proceeded to pull out my cell phone and offered to call the referee assignor or the league commissioner for them (both of whom I have programmed into my phone). They backed off on me at that point, but that might have been the most insufferable match I have ever experienced, and I wasn't even in it.

Technically, they were correct, I didn't belong there (and God forbid I had a quick friendly talk with an assistant coach-actually a parent, she knows nothing about soccer - who I have known for a number of years from serving on a board with her), that really sent them over the edge. But, I had no doubts that the league would have backed me up as a 'referee mentor.'

24. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

I respectfully disagree. If I am assigned all day to a field as a twosome or foursome and I would expect my fellow referees to step in on that field if necessary to keep order especially when it comes to coaches fighting. I do not say anything when asked about the match as it is occurring , but if things get out of hand on the sideline I will help out a struggler in the middle.

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    A pair of HS 5A had-to-get-them-played games tonight, 48 degrees and rain. The girls game was uneventful other than being wet and cold, but what was more-than-a-strong-drizzle in the girls game sweetened into a steady moderate downpour in the boys. One corner flag ended up under water - we warned the coaches at halftime we might have to call the game if it got too bad. They begged us to get it done, as they both had more division makeups to get in next week. We got it done, with a barely acceptable amount of splashing and falling down. Everybody maintained their good humor about it, and the coaches and players seemed genuinely appreciative that we got through it.

I issued one caution in the boys first half, to Blue #15 for FRD on a free kick, which produced a cacophony of howls from the Blue bench. At halftime his teammate #10 comes up to me and says, "You were completely right on that yellow card. That was a good call. Please don't pay any attention to our coach, he yells all the time about everything." "Thanks."

And then I gave one more caution in the second half - to Blue #10 for a tactical foul. After the game he walked up and stuck out his hand. I shook it and said, "So what did you think about the second yellow card?" "You mean the one you gave to me?" "Yep." "It was totally worth it, and you got me fair and square." :thumbsup:

mtn335, Law5, refinDC and 3 others repped this.