Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Correct, that is if he finishes up his contract. However, should he only spend a year in the MLS and get an offer from idk...Bastia...then maybe he wants to go there but the MLS inhibits this (see the linked article^).

Seeing him play with Valeri and Nagbe would be fun, but it must also be considered what's best for his development and the national team imo.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix has probably been too good for theNorwegian league for a couple fo years now. He's not developing there. He is just keeping himself in a better position for a move to a better league. Something he couldn't do in MLS.

I don't know why he isn't starting. something has to give, though. Competition is going to be tight for a midfield spot come May.

He was a sub today, though.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed. It's time to move on to bigger and better things. I think it's tremendous that Mix has such pride in the Norwegian league since that's what he grew up watching, however I think he needs to ask himself how he's going to get better and what's best to improve his chances with the USMNT. I have little doubt that he could be succeeding in a league like Ligue 1, the Netherlands or even a lower end Bundesliga side.

Good point though, and at least he did get 40 mins.

7211 repped this.
  4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right...Geoff Cameron, Clint Dempsey, Brek Shea, Jozy Altidore, Ryan Nielsen among others

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosenborg won 2-0. Mix got subbed in, in the 50th minute.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann repped this.
  7. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    The first is not true but the latter is. He is a good but not outstanding player in the Norwegian leauge. Of course he could make a move for a better league like the Belgian, Dutch, Swiss or something like that and be an average player there instead of a slightly above average player in Norway but it's very wrong to say he has grown out of Tippeligaen when he's barely good enough for his team's starting eleven and you can find better players on all the teams in the league.

I think most Norwegian soccer fans are underwhealmed by his progress and performances since the move to Rosenborg; the transition from top talent to elite player has not happpened yet. His talent was probably overrated in the first place but he can obviously still become a very good player. He possesses some good skills and talent but it hasn't really materialized into a top level Norwegian league player yet.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't agree at all. I think he's easily one of the best players on his team. Admittedly, I watch very little of the league, but every time I watch him play for Rosenborg he looks like one of their best players.

I think the benching early in this season has been because of his voiced displeasure that they didn't let him play in the USMNT's friendly in January.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep proposing this as a theory. Is there any evidence whatsoever that Mix voiced any displeasure?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think so, but what else could the benching be for? Its not for his play because he's one of their best players.

11. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I have to agere with my fellow norwegian. Mix is not an outstanding player, and it is by no means controversial that he is not in the starting lineup at Rosenborg.

Seems like he has a much higher standing in the US than in Norway.

12. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The salt level is strong in this one.

Xenimus and Dervos repped this.
  13. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I just remember reading this post.

irish56 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I'm not sure how many games you've watched or how updated you are on Rosenborg's squad. Mix is essentially competing with their three best players and their two best youth talents. Morten Gamst Pedersen and Mike Jensen are their best players and given starters. The last spot is between Mix, Chibuike, Svensson and Sælnes. Chibuike is the big supporters' favorite and their best attacking threat. Not really a midfielder but if Chibuike is in the lineup they basically reduce their midfield to Gamst Pedersen + Jensen. Svensson and Sælnes are both regarded as at least equally promising talents as Mix, are three and four years younger than him respectively and developed in their own youth teams.

Mix is by no means a bad player and he would be in the first eleven in most teams but he's not at all a given starter for the top teams with the strongest squads.

15. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Are you implying some bitterness on my behalf?

You could not be more mistaken!

First and foremost, in my opinion he is not a top quality player, secondly I do not care for his narsissistic personality. I was glad to see him leave Stabæk, and hope never to see him back in the beautiful blue Jersey.

16. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Just to make it clear: This is where my opinion of Mix seperates from @Ringo's.

If he wanted to come back to Stabæk on a longterm contract without any ridiculous clauses I really wouldn't mind. I think he's good enough to strengthen our squad and his flamboyant personality attracts some attention and fans. I can certainly see why he (and perhabs more so his father) is not very popular amongst Stabæk supporters but personally I don't care that much as long as he's a good player and willing to commit to the team. And he has definately done some good things for us too, not only bad. I know he still talks in positive terms about Stabæk to other players and coaches. A strange and somewhat controversial character but good at heart.

17. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is why most Americans rate him pretty highly. Our country is filled with blue collar hard working players who keep their head down and try really really hard. Then Mix comes along with great technical ability and finesse (for lack of a better word) way of playing. That is something that is very rare in our circles. We desperately need players who are calm and collected like Mix. Also, we love players who speak their minds and don't shy away from a good quote.

I'm not familiar with Norway's players but I imagine there a lot of players like Mix in Norway. I can see how he would blend in, while over here he sticks out and shines.

Just my brief thoughts on the differences.

18. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I also think he has performed better for the USMNT than his average game in Tippeligaen (at least from what I have seen of his games for the US national team); that too is probably a reason why he has a higher standing amongst you guys than in Norway. His top level is very good and he can dominate games when he plays at that level.

But the key word is consistency; he is having far more mediocre games over a full season than great ones. Pretty much all profesional players can be excellent in a few games. To be a top tier player you need to be able to perform at that level consistently. Mix is not quite there yet and he has not really taken any steps further in Rosenborg. But from what I have seen he has been closer to consistently good performances for the USMNT so maybe the impression of his average game is a bit different for the people who follow the USMNT than those following the Norwegian Tippeligaen.

19. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this said by the least talented Beatle :rolleyes:

20. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I can assure you there is no bitterness from @Ringo's side. He genuinely believes that Mix is an average player and that's it. No drama. If you knew this guy you would also know that he is probably one of the most knowledgeable and pragmatic soccer fans you will ever meet. He is definately someone worth listening to. Probably the most respected person amongst Stabæk supporters - so much so that even the club management listens when he speaks.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's not like the US national team plays every week, so maybe it's because he doesn't get as "up" for the relative monotony of unglamorous league games, or maybe it's that he's surrounded by higher quality players with the national team that bring out the best in him, or that he faces less pressure with the USMNT as a youngster surrounded by veterans, or maybe he's not being challenged enough to keep improving in the Norwegian league, or maybe the sample size is too small to make any determinations. Let's hope it's not the first issue, because for US fans that would be getting dangerously close to Freddy Adu territory. In any case, let's hope he figures it out, because he's got talent and is still relatively young. Personally I think a move to Belgium, Switzerland, France, or Denmark could be good for him, a higher challenge and leaving (as Klinsmann would say) his comfort zone...

Zak1FCK repped this.
  22. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Mix is looking to leave RBK, he was very close to signing with a new club this winter.

He tried Belgium prior to joining RBK but failed to make the team. Such failed attempts might make it more difficult for him to get a new chance in a mid level european league. His best shot is to do well with the USMNT in Brazil this summer, then hopefully some scouts put his name on their shortlist. If not, he might remain stuck in RBK.

Perhaps MLS could be a solution for him?

RBK is certainly a dead end for him right now, but it is not unlikely that there might be a change in management there during this season, then things might change for him aswell.

23. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a lot of extenuating circumstances that lead to him not getting as much time at Gent. However, Mix most likely won't be coming to MLS. He is one of Jurgen's players, and he recognizes the talent that he has. So you are more likely to see JK helping him land at a Bund or Erendivise club.

24. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, what circumstances are you referring to at Gent? I was hoping he would've come back to the MLS when there was the rumors he would go to Portland. I think he should come to the MLS too actually.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They don't have a base formation. They've played a 4-2-3-1 for two games this season and a 4-3-3 for the other game. In a 4-2-3-1, Chibuike was the AM with Pedersen and Jensen as the two CM's. I still think Pedersen's best position is on the wing as it has been for a lot of his career. The coach will eventually move him to the wing. In that case, Diskerud would step in for Pedersen and play CM in a 4-2-3-1. In a 4-3-3, Mix has a spot in CM with Jensen and Pedersen. Chibuike can't play centrally in a 4-3-3 unless its as the CF. I don't think Selnaes is really in competition with Mix for a spot. Mix was always playing ahead of Selnaes last season who is probably behind Mix and Svensson. Svensson seems to be in competition with Mix for a spot, but when I've seen Roseborg, I've never been impressed by Svensson. Mix has always looked like a better player, and I think when it comes time to it, Mix will have a spot in the lineup over Svensson.