Gedion Zelalem to Arsenal

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Clichyftw, Aug 21, 2011.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry for the dig. I don't know where you get he deliberately is spinning to only use his right foot? Most players do not dribble equally well with both feet it's one of the biggest misconceptions. He's not a citizen so JK will not call him up. You don't have to worry.

2. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so?

It's not a stretch to think a 16 year old youth international for one of best footballing countries in the world is in the top .1% of talent of all the 16 year old soccer players worldwide.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #853 Clint Eastwood, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    I don't know how anybody can saying intelligent about Zelalem's ability level right now.

I've seen him play a few minutes of garbage time against Coventry in the FA Cup................................

Other people must just be making their assessments based on youtube highlight reels, reputation, and news articles.

[​IMG]

We've had youngsters at Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool, etc. in the past after all...................................

Werdman89 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't care about a player until he's in a list. Is he in a list? SOMEBODY MAKE A LIST! I'm happy to to provide input, as I've seen roughly 78,320 of the world's top 16-year-old players extensively.

Sandon Mibut, Winoman and Werdman89 repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Lol Lol Lol
    This isn't a texting forum.

6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's an agreement with you.

7. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I forgot we were in a professional setting. Oh wait.... It's a soccer forum. Anyhow to make you happy I'll use my proper English from now on.

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    OMG LOL YSF YKSH BWACPOBS

9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow USA All Day just giving it to us hard on April's Fools.

10. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is #1 on the list of Ethiopian/German/almost Americans.

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I honestly want to understand what your deal is. Please help.

It is at the very least a strong indicator of talent that he made a first-team appearance for Arsenal. This is indisputable. At the same time, this is not a guarantee, of course, but no one has claimed it IS a guarantee. If all you want to do is grandstand by screaming at the low-hanging fruit of crappy posters, then fine, but don't pretend you're providing insight.

As it stands, Zelalem has at this point in time accomplished something that in relation to our pool is exceptional. If we could have him, we would have someone who COULD elevate our team someday. We would be fools not to want him eligible for our team.

It takes a lot more insight accurately to predict success than it does failure.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have to say, after seeing him play for the Arsenal U-18s this week and last week(better performance this week than last week which isn't saying much), the kid still has a bit of a ways to go before he is ready for one of the holding mid spots at Arsenal. He isn't going to usurp Ozil, Cazorla, Wilshere or Ramsey anytime soon. He isn't a D-Mid who can break plays up like Flamini has become. I figured he would be a regular with the Arsenal 1st team in the next two seasons once Arsenal don't extend Arteta and let him leave. Gedion has to become stronger.

He has the height to play with the big boys but strength wise, he will find it tough over the course of a full season. He was handled fairly easily by Ruben Loftus Cheek and the other Chelsea mids over the past two matches. I figure Gedion and the other U18s and U21s get put to work in the Arsenal gym but he really needs to get stronger. His passing ability is still fantastic, tackling is meh and so is the desire and ability to take a quick shot when outside the box and in view of the goal. (That last one is no big deal atm imo, that can also be worked on). He will be a very good player but he still has a little bit to go before he is ready for even a few sup appearances in the premiership.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No 17-year-old is going to be a regular in an Arsenal side. If Zelalem develops well, he'll be a regular starter by 2018, and will probably work his way into the squad in 2 years or so.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was never saying or implying a 17 yr old(or Gedion) would be a regular in the Arsenal side. Obvy if he develops well he'll be in good stead to be a squad player the next year or two and a regular starter in following years.
    My point was that he still has a little bit to go in terms of being ready. He is still not even performing consistently well enough at U21 level for Arsenal. He will get there I'm sure but I was just saying people need to bring down their immediate expectations for the kid. My #1 thing for him that I hope is being worked on is strength. Time in the gym getting stronger in order to hold down a central midfield role even at U21 level. The way the Chelsea U18s sorted him out over the last two weeks was not a good look.
    Anyway, the kid will be okay.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The immediate expectation is citizenship for Zelalem. I mean that's mine.

ferrari77 repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, gentleman, this could get exciting.

Is Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to pledge his future to the U.S. national team?

The Insider has learned Zelalem is close to becoming an American citizen, and by virtue, become eligible to represent the United States in international competition. Zelalem, who turned 17 in January, is believed to be in Washington with his father this weekend for naturalization purposes. By the time they return to London, both will likely be carrying U.S. passports.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../02/arsenals-zelalem-nearing-u-s-eligibility/

22SteveD, Real Corona, matt021d and 7 others repped this.
  18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yes yes yes yes

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still like this
    [​IMG]

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Another important fact from that article

Aduesque, Real Corona and Sup Bro repped this.
  21. icedup57

icedup57 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The Klinsmann recruiting effect strikes again. The US seems like such a better option to these young kids with Klinsmann as the US coach. There were other factors in place, but I have got to say, without Klinsmann at the helm I don't think this happens.

Having said that, I would be thrilled to have him join us. Klinsmann's ability to sign duel nationals has been nothing short of World Class. This case seemed dead in the water only months ago, as did Green's. Green's dad even came forward and said that if the US had another coach, his son probably wouldn't have signed with the US. Now we see Zelalem's dad, a vocal proponent of him signing with Germany, helping him naturalize with the US so he can sign with us. Absolutely amazing.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think the large majority of German-Americans would have ultimately played for the US and indeed most came into the fold under Bradley and/or Rongen.

I'm not so sure that any old coach would have been able to land Green, Zelalem, and possibly Johannsson though. Johannsson is a bit get for us on his own and the other two could potentially be huge as well.