2014 FIFA WORLD CUP (EA Sports)

Discussion in 'Games' started by HomietheClown, Feb 8, 2014.

1. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll patch some of these things with downloadable updates. When I put it in my machine last night it already prompted me to update to version 1.01. The South Africa game updated the rosters a couple of times before the tournament. I seem to recall Buddle and/or Gomez weren't in the original release, but were added when they made the roster.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting my copy Monday, can't wait.

3. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They'll update all rosters when WC squads are announced, adding new players in as necessary.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Of course.
    Just kinda stinks they do not have players that were called in November and March.

5. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story of Qualifying has been pretty fun so far, you can even unlock scenarios countries' entire qualifying campaigns (such as England, France, Germany, the USA, etc.) in the EASFC catalogue.

There is also one detail I'll have to nitpick however.

Out of curiosity for how they'd be presented, I decided to play a match in the World Cup as Canada. Ok, all the players, badge, and the kits are licensed, but there's one problem. When they pan to the fans back home in a cutscene, they use a generic European template and it's NIGHTTIME there. Which wouldn't be as bad, until you realize that the USA and Mexico are in the SAME TIME ZONE(S) and their fans are watching the match in DAYTIME.

Not to mention they could have used the CN Tower in Toronto or the Parliament Building in Ottawa as a backdrop. You could say that Canada hasn't had enough impact per say in the men's footballing world to warrant such attention, but come on EA. THE GAME IS MADE IN CANADA, not to mention that if you play as China you'll get a fanfest with the Forbidden Palace as a backdrop. If China could get that treatment, I don't see any other reason why Canada wouldn't.

HomietheClown repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some of the cut scenes to other countries are pretty hilarious. Bunch of French people wearing berets, people in Morroco looking like Arabian Sheikhs.

And the cut scenes into the crowd are cool to look at with women and their unbelievable figures. But you would think every female fan in the World Cup looks like Lara croft from Tomb raider. Unrealistic man. There's some homely/fat people at these events too. :p

youssefmeskin repped this.
  7. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I facepalmed when I saw Iranian fans wearing thawbs.

:p

The cameras usually only pan to hot women anyways.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True. That is realistic in a sense but still. Not all the pretty women look like they had custom designed mammary sacks in Beverly Hills. :D (Not that I am complaining).

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't you know Persians and Arabs are all the same? :ROFLMAO:

10. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll have to get the demo to see how I like it. I only got FIFA '14 a few months ago so I'm not sure I'm ready to fork out ~$60 for this game.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's a fun game. Not sure it's worth $60 but hey, if you have the money, I'd say buy it. Captain your country is fun, road to the world cup is great, and the online is not bad. I really like how your players actually get better through qualifying campaigns and you can train individual players in certain areas to get them better. For instance, Altidore is now an 88 rated striker with 90 pace, 90 heading and 88 shooting. I transformed Donovan into the perfect CAM and Brooks has just naturally become stupidly good. Brooks has 98 defense and 97 heading in my game right now. Not sure why he got so good so fast.

Also certain things such as crossing and chipped through balls are a lot harder now so players who just aren't that good at fifa can't abuse that anymore.

12. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that bothers me so far is that the interface is a little less easy to navigate than in the 2010 version, and I get less of a sense of how qualifying is shaking out in other parts of the world. I liked the last version that had "news articles", and "feature stories" showing you what was going on, along with the running FIFA rankings. I don't see the FIFA rankings at all on the new one. Am I missing it somehow?

In qualifying, that's very important to track, as it tells you whether you have a chance of getting a seeded draw come December 2013 . . . .

And really, Brooks?? I'll have to start using him I guess. Thanks for the tip! FWIW, I've been using Besler, and he's done nothing but get worse, lol.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah I was using the typical Gonzalez-Besler pairing and Gonzalez got to an 80 within a year while Besler hovered between 69-72 (72 being his starting rating). I tried Cameron there but I like Cameron at RB because Chandler barely was improving. My team is:
    Howard (81)
    Cameron ( 80) - Gonzalez (84) - Brooks (93) - Johnson (78)
    Jones (81)
    Bradley (82) - Diskerud (78)
    Donovan (86)
    Altidore (88) - Dempsey (86)

Holden also got to a 78 rating, but Diskerud's passing is just insane. It's like 91 or something like that.

14. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I haven't had the time to look that closely at the player rating details. I have noticed though that I like using Beasley, even though he only has a 69 overall starting out. He's just fast and seems to move more smoothly with the ball than other wingers.

ttrevett repped this.
  15. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm on PS3 and I've only tried the online mode. So far I've played against 3 teams; Germany, Brazil and Colombia, Germany being about 80% of my opponents. Why do people always take the same teams?

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Don't pick a 5 star team then.

17. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    IIRC Portugal is 4.5 stars. I think they're grouped together with the 5 star teams

There are plenty of 5 star teams... It's like in FUT when all I face for awhile was bundesliga teams. People can't win unless Gotze and Reus are on the wings it seems

18. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    In '13, I always end up playing against the same 4-5 teams no matter who I choose.

19. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you playing Road to Rio online? or Online World Cup? Have only played Online World Cup so far on the Xbox 360 version, and while I have played vs. Germany and Brazil, I've also come across the Netherlands, Argentina, Iraq, Greece, etc. among others. Then again, I haven't chosen a 5 star team to play as in Online World Cup (have used USA and Sweden, each being 4 stars, while also using 3.5 star Israel. Of course I would get destroyed as the USA/Sweden, but was a heartbreaking 90th minute goal and extra time goal away from making the QF with Israel. Go figure.)

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I used the Czech Republic and I have only played 4 star teams. Fifa 13 they did match you with any random teams. Countless times it would be Aston Villa vs Real Madrid which was always awful.

Czech is actually a good team for online play. 4 star team with two pacey strikers. I guess people don't know that.

21. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now that I've won a WC online with Portugal, I can move on to other teams lol

I played the final against Wales lol. He was really good. I made it 1-1 in the 90th and ended up winning with spot kicks.

22. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helps that Wales have the likes of Bale, Ramsey, etc. I might use them online in the future. Personally I try to stay away from using 5 star teams as I like the challange of winning the Online World Cup with a squad that may not be as good as the likes of Germany, Spain, Brazil etc., but one that still has some talented players (Israel is surprisingly good online, provided that you remember to put Benayoun into your squad first as he's on the reserves), and with Sweden you have Zlatan, Kallstrom, Elm and co. I used Russia a lot in 2010, might also want to see how good I am with them this time around

Also, has anyone encountered a situation where you advance ot the next round of the Online World Cup despite finishing 3rd in your group? That's how I made the Round of 16 as Israel (Lost 3-0 to Brazil, Beat Greece 2-0, lost to Argentina 1-0, but advanced anyway despite Brazil having 5 pts. And Arg. Having 4 pts.)

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played an online WC am my first game with the US was against Brasil. How the fudge is that fair? I lost 2-1, so it was a good showing, but I don't know how I drew Brasil with 4 star US.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking in Online World Cup there's a bit less restriction on what star team you'll be matched up with (so it's, you know, like a World Cup), but I think Road to Rio has more balanced matchmaking when taking team ratings into account.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I keep playing Colombia over and over again. They are a 4.5 star team and I am using a 4 star team. I think that is fair for match making but literally every online match I have played has been either against Colombia or Mexico.