New Yorker article on the Cosmos

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by Scotty, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sam U El and Cesar T repped this.
  2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Stover is crazy.

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Cosmos are not going anywhere. Even though they are in the D2 NASL they are also like an independent team and their sponsor emirates air has proven to be more of a partner with there first class training in the United Emirates. A senna farewell games in Europe

4. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a year and a half of having the team back together the NY Cosmos have had all expense paid trips/camps/friendlies to England, Spain, and Dubai.

Not a bad start.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This situation with the Cosmos,NASL, MLS is going to be an interesting one to follow over the next few years. None of us know for sure how things are going to unfold. As a Cosmos supporter I hope and wish the best for them wether or not it's in the MLS. If they do get the stadium approved it'll give us legitimacy, I got to say though it's not looking too good. Hope they have plan B.

ManuSooner and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Very strahge place NYC. 2 basball stadiums and a new arena in Brooklyn no problem.
    The Giants and Jets of the NFL stadium in NJ, RedBulls in NJ and now Cosmos and NYCFC are receiving hufe resitance

8. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Barclays Center had tremendous opposition, still does. It was proposed in 2003, completed 2 yrs ago. One has to assume the State is looking at other options or are awaiting to see on going attendance figure. I hope Acqeduct is plan B. That is also State owned & zoned for sports already

9. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's all the game of politics, I do also believe that as jspech said they are waiting to see the attendance figures. Either way we need to get bigger numbers to Cosmos games, once NYCFC starts playing games they will also claim a stake in NY taking casual fans and whom ever favors Man city, competition for attendance will get tougher.

10. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I think what the Cosmos need is a serious local media gadfly. Please invite former Bklyn Boro President Marty Markowitz to a few games. He's good at promoting things, well respected, well known. Pretty sure the Yankees didn't approach MLS & Man City. Just like JayZ w/ the Nets. Pretty sure Garber approached the Yankees wasn't long ago they hd a bit of tiff in the media, when the New Yankee's Sradium opened.

If I remember, Garber commented on empty seat at stadium, Yanks President came back at him harshly, Garber apologized.......blah blah.

Cosmos needs a local face, I know we have Pele.
    & Remember Hoftra to everyone not in LI, sounds far.
    Belmont is not Atlantic Ave-Belt Pwy-Cross Is, or LIE- Southern State-Cross Is.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    TV presence will be needed as well NYRB have MSG. NYCFC will have YES, Cosmos OneWorld Sports can be their Braodcast partner but having the Broadcasts simulcast SNY and/or an over air network in NYC area gives them a major league type presence

12. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    wonder if they had ever approached My9?

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would be a thought they have a long history of televising NY sports before all of the cable networks and still show some Broadcast I think still of the YES Network if there is a conflict with Yankees and NBA playoffs. Would be similar for OneWorld Sports to simulcast its games on that Network. I would have to think at some point the Cosmos will need a NY Network to Televise where everyone will know where to find it both home and away games.
    JMO