Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Cameron, Howard and Guzan = chopped liver?

1 - Nah, mine was actually quite close to accurate. Besides, for it to be a strawman, I would need to be attributing a false, easily smashable argument to someone else.

2 - Erm... I was not making an argument. I was merely helping dude commiserate over some tough luck.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Altidore was so disappointing that all Americans will be banished from England next season. However, Brad Friedel will say "Cheerio, old boy, I love football and padded jackets" and he'll be allowed to stay.

DiscoWarrior11, wsmaugham, adi21 and 7 others repped this.
  3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keepers didn't even enter my mind, they've more than broken through and field players are those that need "breaking through" in top leagues and especially top teams for the US. Howard especially, everyone knows what he offers, no question about his contribution.

Cameron is not high profile, had to add that caveat because that's what really seems to get the dander up... Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, players like that. If Freddy Adu got signed by a promoted team this July I might have to cancel my internet connection for my own personal sanity.

Strawman doesn't have to include specific attribution, it's about making your point more sensible in comparison to an invented position. Altidore = antichrist, kittens, ice cream, etc., is a strawman despite obvious sarcasm/hyperbole. I was just joking anyways, it struck me as funny that the guy posting an animated strawman gif submitted his own like an hour later, even if it was for comedic effect. :)

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the FO were resigned to relegation at the break. Commentators said that Sdland's point total in Jan spelled relegation in the overwhelming number of cases. Having already spent the bankroll in the summer, I think the ownership took the decision not to support Poyuet with the transfers he would have needed which were unlikely to change the final result of relegation anyway. In these circumstances I would be loathe to blame Poyuet. My impression is that he seemed to get the basics of management right but how good he really is at winning on any given Saturday remains to be decided in a future job, I think.

5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What I would love to know is why he chose to play Johnson so little in the last month or so.

Excellency repped this.
  6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

That is not what a strawman is, buddy. Obvious sarcasm? Yes. Strawman? Nope.

Either way, I think everyone assuming Altidore is done playing for Sunderland this season are in for a surprise. If Fletcher was available, okay, sure. But considering he dressed the other night, it seems likely enough he will at least get sub minutes at some point over four games.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd back that. But they're a small club. Could they afford him. They have Luca Toni at the moment. Would be big shoes to fill.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with this.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scocco is still ahead of him.

s7kru repped this.
  10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying the foul should have been called on Jozy, but you can only play advantage if the fouled player plays on in a legal manner. Sagna fouled Jozy (Law 12, Holding an opponent), Jozy attempted to play on but then pushed Sagna with both hands to get away (Law 12, pushes an opponent). Jozy's advantage disappears because he is no longer able to play in a legal manner...just like if he were fouled on a run, got away, and received a ball played when he was in an offside position...ref would have to call that back.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but 2 wins will not be enough if Fulham win 1 of their final 4 games or if Cardiff get 4 points in their last 4 games no matter how poorly Norwich do (and Norwich would have to lose all 4).

12. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    In truth, he (afgrij...) did post stats after the Sunderland/City match. However, notice that in the stat comparison he did provide (turnover ratio), afgrij remarkably omitted a stat comparison of the number of goals scored by each player, a very minor statistic, indeed.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. I think Fulham has the best chance of the 4. But we shall see.

ghost101 repped this.
  14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

That was not a end of game stat post (which I actually forgot to post at FT), that was me responding to a specific JozyBradley comment about touch. And mostly just to see what explanation he would give for the giggles. But if you look back at other stat lines, I never post goals scored, mainly because everyone knows already. Every time, I post the same things few if any people would have counted, regardless of player - touches, passing, shots, aerial duels, total TOs, FKs won. You will find some of these same exact lines in a few Agudelo gameday threads.

And that is why they play the games. I would assume there are still twists and turns left, but if Sunderland do not stay up, it would be safe to retroactively say that they mostly buttered their bread to lie in by gaining one whole point from the home games against Palace, Hull and West Ham. And you can probably throw the recent loss at Norwich on that oof pile.

15. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    yeah, I'm not trying to dissect him psycologically. It's hard to avoid I guess. I just want to see him play angry. Use that size and strength. Batter those CBs into submission ala Newcastle.

16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    1. It's possible to be disinterested in public discourse and still play on the edge. I'd call it turning the switch on, and acting with some class outside the game.

2. He really needs to turn that tweeter off.

The word asinine comes to mind.

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    But, but, I thought no one was interested in shitty Jozy Altidore and that he'd have to waste away on the bench in the Championship next season!

Right? Right?!

:D

Seriously though, anything at this level (top of Eredivisie or mid-table Ligue 1) would be excellent.

Tom Collingsworth and HouseHead78 repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Toulouse. The French league is the #6 in Europe, tougher than the Eredivisie, not as physical as the EPL, and Toulouse is a team that plays a style that would suit him: a 3-5-2 with two creative mids serving passes (Clement Chantome & Etienne Didot). He'd get plenty of service to his feet, without having to turn, but while running on goal. That's where Jozy thrives.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What perplexed me was thing seemed to be going in a good direction culminating with the Newcastle win - and then Poyet began to play with his formations. I don't know if he got overconfident or it was simply part of his plant to try to move to the 3 back formation, but he never sufficiently shored up the defense, even with S'land's horrid GD.

Bringing in Scocco was useless. If you did the math back then, you had to be able to see where they needed to squeeze points, but they failed against all lower table sides.

Oh well, if they can pull out some points v. ManU or Chelski, they have a shot, but really it's looking like Fulham have the sched and the momentum. Norwich needs only to stumble into a couple of points to cook S'land goose.

I'm most bummed by Everton throwing it all away. That one is too bad.

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6971 Chance, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Jozy... go to France... you've got nothing to Toulouse.

;):p

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Umm, no. One foul happened first, play advantage. If Jozy then commits a foul, its Arsenal ball coming out. The ref would only need to determine if advantage is there and play on. In his mind there was no advantage and therefore called it back for a kick. He cannot call it back for a free kick if Jozy fouled the defender.

23. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    [​IMG]

(I lol'd).

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6974 uniteo, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    injury concerns? It is weird that by far Sunderland's best stretch was when (IIRC) Johnson, Altidore and Borini were playing up top together. When did we see last see that?

And WTF made Poyet think right before their biggest game of the year that he had to shake up what had been an improving situation? A move which seems to have completely backfired.

Did I miss a discussion on that? Since demoting Jozy, Sunderland have 0 wins, 2 draws, 7 losses...7 goals for, 20 against.

25. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Toulouse.