Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    On this disaster of a team, fairly decent? Did you watch a single Sunderland game this season?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

[​IMG]

I believe that question was answered before you asked it.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    No, I am just obviously just making stuff up.

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    You often posted Wickham's stats after his appearance in a match and then compared them to Altidore's stats. I probably have missed your posting of these stats after yesterday's match. Can you post it again? Thanks.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    The defender continues to chase down Jozy, the keeper makes a play, a defender slid in to try and clear it off the line. If he blew the whistle (and I'm not saying he didn't), looks to me like nobody heard it. The defender disengaged because Jozy shoved him.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    You're right. Sunderland has been a power-house this year when it comes to creating goal scoring chances. /thread you win

adi21 repped this.
  7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically and according to the rules of logic it is a strawman, but I believe point he's making is you can play the "if" game all day long and you just end up in the same imaginary place. If just a few more things went right for Liverpool they'd have already won the title, for instance. But here we are and they still can't lose to Chelsea or they might lose the title.

So here we are, and Altidore has been ineffective. A single league goal despite having multiple chances and numerous starts. In the end it is what it is.

Hey look, here's another strawman! Alkjlkjatgslrijwerogalkj get out your gif again.

8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Disengaged from what? The defender gripping him like it was a WWF match?

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  9. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't want to open the mentality can of worms, because i dont know him personally, but I just wish he'd get pissed off and play with some fire. If I read all this crap people were talking and saying about me I'd be trying to rip peoples heads off instead of hoping something changes.

Damnit, I got sucked into the mentality and emotion debate. I apologize.

Fanatical Monk and Winoman repped this.
  10. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I don't think Jozy would had scored because the defender who slided to kick the ball out froze when he heard the ref whistle...Argument is if the ref didn't blow his whistle, this defender would had kept running and I believe he would had been there a few second earlier to kick the ball out....

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Sagna was fouling Jozy and Jozy tripped or kicked Sagna to get away, all is fair? I mean, in the cosmic realm that may be just, but once the fouled player commits a foul of his own, you have to stop play and have a re-start.
    them's the rules, it's just not an option for the ref to let it go.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Erm, I did post Wickham stats throughout the game. And when I have posted them for Wickham or Fletcher or Borini, they are typically by themselves, with no Altidore stat comparisons or commentaries in those posts. But hey, you can just continue pretending if you want.

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That was the word used by the poster I quoted. He was suggesting the defender voluntarily let go (disengaged) when he heard the whistle..

14. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I don't see anyway you can interpret that as a foul on Jozy. Sagna was about to be smoked and he knew it so he grabbed on for the ride. Breaking free of that is not a foul imo.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I was not playing an if game. I was adding the other factual events of tough luck onto the forlorn comment someone else made about the Arsenal call-back, and at the end of it I clearly stated that some total around 4-5 would still be notably below par performance for him.

I also stated this thread will still be aggravating until everyone based in reality just gives in and agrees that Altidore is the Antichrist, he who melts ice cream and makes kittens cry for fun, usually by making a back post run with his lazy attitude.

Winoman and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Or how about guys like me who finally saw something with Jozy at AZ and thought he'd turned a corner... only to have a hugely disappointing season. He showed up in a few games and then sizzled for the rest... I mean it's not like he didn't already have the experience of playing on a crap team in an PL relegation fight.

I was actually shocked he lacked the fight required week in week out for a situation like this. But it's time to close the books and move on from Sundy tomorrow is a new day.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    American players are more about the team than about the individual. JK is trying to change that, but Jozy is not the 'angry' type. You should see how he replies in Twitter:

RabidMoron "You @#$%^ are not good enough for the EPL!"
    Jozy: "Perhaps you're right."

Sociopath1983: "When you don't play the team scores, you useless #$%^&&%^!"
    Jozy: "Good for them, I'm glad they did well."

MadCatinHeat: "You won't play again for Sunderland, you'll rot in the #@#%$% bench, @#$!!"
    Jozy: "Yes, that is always a possibility."

Etc. He's like Buddha.

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's what it looked like to me, but whatevs, I don't want to over-micro-analyze this thing.

19. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    #6944 GalacticoX4, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    No your definition of winning includes NOT winning titles. My definition of winning is winning. Pulis beats a few teams and wins nothing. You said it yourself for him winning is not getting relegated: merely not losing. All he does is not lose. No getting relegated isn't winning. It's just not getting relegated. You get trilogy's and parades for winning. Stoke never won. In fact what pulls did only got him fired. Their organization along with all the other mo spending sides in England are losers specializing in Losing. All you're talking about I excusing their failures. And Pulis I the king of the losers.

My comments have the ring of someone who wins and never tolerated those with a tolerance for failure.

20. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty unreasonable standard for success in a league so top-heavy that 17 teams have 0 shot at winning it before a ball is even kicked.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1 - That description would place you in the reality-based camp. However, later setbacks do not mean a corner was left unturned.

2 - Unlike many, I do not believe lack of fight is an issue, or at least one of great impact on the list of reasons for his production/form slide. I think the guy has genuinely been confused about how to get the damn ball from his teammates, he has become hesitant, he has become tight - three things that strikers fail to enjoy much. Mostly, he has gone about the mundane business set out for him to do, occupying defenders to free Borini, Ki, Johnson and any defensive player feeling froggy from 30 yards while winning some free kicks along the way. He is being asked to mostly do stuff he would rather sprinkle into a wider repetoire and he is making the effort at it. Obviously, he could be a lot sharper, but strikers like him need touches. I wonder a lot if anyone over there actually scouted him at AZ.

FYI, he has earned 38 FKs this season, eight more than Fletcher and Wickham combined though playing fewer EPL minutes than the pair. He also has won 68 aerial duels going up for 184, just short of the 74/189 from WickFletcHam. He fights, just not in the typical manner of an EPL player, running around with his head on fire whether it actually is worth anything or not (so long as everyone notices).

adi21 repped this.
  22. gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I wish he would listen to the angry people who are trying to be constructive....

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another straw man! Thank you!

Fair enough, but I will say your argument does verge on mutating into the "if" game though. Only fans looking hard for silver linings re: performance bring up good saves by keepers. Liverpool led the league in shots off the post the last couple seasons (not this year), but no one really cares because the only thing it's indicative of is the fact that the finishing simply wasn't good enough. Nor should I expect them to care. They finished 7th because they couldn't put the ball in the net.

Whatever, it doesn't even matter now. We all had our "fun" in here, in the end it was a miserable season for him and the play and stats reflect that. Is it all his fault, no. Strikers are creatures of confidence if anything and Sunderland was/is a bad situation where there wasn't much confidence to be had by a player of Jozy's type. That said you can't be a striker in a top league and get the chances that Altidore's had, no matter how few they were, and end up with a single league goal. Or two if we must grant the Arsenal goal. Of course people will come down on him hard for that, be they Sunderland fans, the media, or US fans. It's not always calmly, rationally stated, but it comes from a place of logic.

No Yanks in the prem will be very nice next year, I won't be compelled to come into wheel-spinning threads like these and constantly combat the other side. And others don't have to combat me. Win-win.

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know something we don't?

adi21, Winoman and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like a fair assumption. Maybe I'm just counting my chickens before they are hatched. Perhaps I should say high profile yanks.