USA U-21 National Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Holla at ya boy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's unclear to me whether the U21/U23 connection to Martin Vasquez came from reliable sources or not.

From what I could see...................it was twitterverse group-think.

The day has come where if I post something on twitter like "Hugo Perez would be an interesting hire for the U21s".............................1 day later we'd see a thread on big soccer pop up saying "Unnamed sources indicate Hugo Perez to coach U21s." It doesn't really matter that I have no clue what I'm talking about (which is in fact the case most of the time.)

I don't know the difference between a reputable internet rumor and bogus internet nonsense anymore :(

Real Corona repped this.
  2. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just say it depends who your source on the twitterverse is. I am pretty sure all I get from the twitterverse regarding YNT stuff is from Brian Sciaretta, Travis Clark, or JR Eskilson. Granted, what I just posted may not have been from them, I was stating my opinion more than anything. If I heard anything else about YNT from someone else, I wouldn't believe it until one of those 3 guys pick it up. That being said, there are people who do exactly like you say, it is the good and bad with modern communication I suppose.

3. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think that but several of you guys may actually spend more time on this than anyone at Soccer House. I a dearth of information you may indeed be an "expert". Someday soccer will be like other US sports and internet experts won't be experts. You never know some of you could be hired to run some of these talent accumulator / scouting sites. Didn't that sort of happen in baseball when some nerds started getting hired with their probability stats?

5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So any new news here? Was wondering when the roster would be dropped for this team

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-21 camp begins next week, although there aren't any official details on the players or the coach yet.

Sounds like it will be mostly 93s and 94s for now, especially because the USSF just took away 95s and 96s from their clubs for Dallas Cup. Just about everybody is in-season right now, so I'm sure there will be quite a few players unavailable for this.

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would expect McBean and Sorto there since the camp is at SHC.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it just MLS, NCAA and Liga MX based players?

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUSINESS PROPOSAL

1. Spend way too much time on BS in the YNT forums
    2. Put together a spreadsheet of potentially talented players
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT!!!

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    3. Assemble it into a website called free-transfermarkt.com

BostonRed repped this.
  11. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster is out:

Roster By Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Kempin (Oklahoma City Energy; Leawood, Kan.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.)
    DEFENDERS (5): Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; East Palo Alto, Calif.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Tigres UANL; Riverside, Calif.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids; Jackson, Miss.), Benji Joya (Chicago Fire; San Jose, Calif.), Collin Martin (D.C. United; Chevy Chase, Md.), Esteban Rodriguez (Club Tijuana; Bell Gardens, Calif.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)
    FORWARDS (7): Daniel Cuevas (CF Lobos BUAP; Sacramento, Calif.), Danny Garcia (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas), Jack McBean (LA Galaxy; Newport Beach, Calif.), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Sean Okoli (Seattle Sounders FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Jose Villarreal (Cruz Azul; Inglewood, Calif.)

USAMEX10 and Hararea repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pretty much the usual suspects...................................................without the Euros.

Nice to get the group together even if it just for some training.

Kendall McIntosh must have a picture of some high ranking USSF official with a goat.

soccersubjectively, Sup Bro and SUDano repped this.
  13. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the roster except for the fact that we have 5 listed defenders and one is Serna, who I would not consider a defender, personally. I really like that midfield trio of Gil-Trapp-Joya. Hairston will be interesting to see, is this his first call-up? And forwards seem like a mix bag. Not really any of them getting much club playing time. I'll be interested to see Cuevas again.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hairston had been called up to the Toulon tournament, which was one of the last camps prior to 2013 U20WC roster selection.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Q&A with Ramos regarding the U21 national team

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/18/11/36/140418-u21-qa-tab-ramos

U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos will lead a U.S. U-21 MNT camp from April 20-24 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. The camp serves as the starting point for solidifying a roster that will represent the U.S. U-23 MNT for the 2016 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament and potentially the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil.

16. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a decent group to start with. Guys will have to compete hard as a lot of more heralded options exist but are currently unavailable.

Does Yedlin not being included indicate that he is likely to be on the 30-man list for the senior team?

17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought Dennis Flores was supposed to have been called up? Solid roster except for Serna as a defender guy is an attacker

18. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Found the answer to my own question lol.

"@BrianSciaretta: I am told Dennis Flores was invited to the US U21 camp and was set to attend, but Club Leon need him on the first team - started last game"

Interesting.. This is better for him next camp hopefully he and Palafox(defense is thin he could help out there) can attend.

Also interesting how Stevie and Guido will do having not been with the US youth teams in awhile. And no Alonso Hernandez I see.

19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Be interesting to see what that is as the Sounders will actually be at SHC on Saturday playing Chivas, probably that Sigi just didn't want to release him. There's no Eric Miller either.

20. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Lots of MLS guys in starting positions or near it, that I wish would sit this one out....

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no Alfred Koroma?! And I was all ready to get worked up.

Some random thoughts:

• So much for Vazquez as the U-23 coach. If he's the long-term plan, why wouldn't he take control of this camp? It's not like he has anything better to do
    • Decent group of players for the most part. Two years away from the Olympics, all but four have made professional debuts and this isn't close to our best 21 players.
    • I'll echo Clint's comments on Kendall McIntosh. Admittedly, there are few domestic 93/94 GK options in the pros besides Kempin. Just Arizona's Jacole Turner, I think. But is McIntosh really the best 93/94 GK in all the NCAA? Any college fans care to weigh in on that?
    • Alternatively, Morris is a good college pick. He looks like a top performer who may well go pro next winter and, lacking many convincing FW options in the pros, we should be looking closely at players like him.

22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't look like Daniel Cuevas has done much since he first came up on our radar. I thought he was pretty good when I saw him with the u20's, but he has no appearances with a second division Mexican team and was cast off at Santos Laguna.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Bump. Clearly, initiating regular camps is important, but other than that, this camp doesn't check off many boxes. No games, no full-time coach, and no evaluation of unfamiliar players. It's a shaky start.

Ramos is clearly doubling down on his U20 choices, and his ussoccer interview closes on a real head-shaker of a quote ("I do believe that, had we gotten a couple breaks in the World Cup, this team would have gone really far”).

24. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I think of great coaches I've seen in other sports and I wonder, would Bill Belichick ever say something like that? I think we know the answer to that.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah..................I was a little concerned that this group was the "same guys" as we've already seen in a US uniform. Granted a lot of them deserve to be there on merit. However, shouldn't we be at least in a little bit of a "casting the net" mode? We're two years out from the tournament. How about really taking a look at defenders in particular. The camp is light on defenders and yet we're not going to call up some NCAA defenders? We only have two centerbacks there. Just frickin' invite guys and test them out. If they fail then they fail. How about Bryan Gallego? How about frickin' Walker Zimmerman? [He played in FCD's most recent reserve game] How about NCAA defenders we haven't seen in a while. I don't know who. Phanuel Kavita? Dakota Edwards? Boyd Okwuono? Hell, call in Javon Torre just to piss off BigSoccer posters. Jonathan Campbell? Where is Jalen Robinson? Kyle Fisher from Clemson? Mikey Ambrose? I'm just picking names out of a hat now.

You can't actually play a scrimmage without some more defenders............can you? What is the point of this camp? Just to get together and run fitness drills?

I like that we're having this camp, but the callup list just looks like they took out their spreadsheet and went down the list of usual suspects. It just seems.....................lazy..............to have zero new guys. I guess Tab got it "100% right" during the last U20 cycle.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.