The Journey Starts Now! - The Honduras Road to the 2014 World Cup Thread.

Discussion in 'Honduras' started by Catracho_Azul, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    in Brazil??? Luis "El Buba" Lopez is the only other youngster that will be traveling to the World Cup with Honduras.. the 19 yr old shot stopper for Real Espana whom comes off winning El Torneo Apertura under his first season as a starter. Kid is the real deal, will probably the 3rd choice keeper though behind longtime starters, Noel Valladares and Donis Escober.

2. Paul FBO

Paul FBO New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thanks, I'll check him out! A shame he probably won't get a game at the World Cup, but I guess it's rare for national teams to place their trust in young keepers unless the alternatives aren't very convincing.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Well we have the benefit of having the bulk of our team in their prime. Majority in their mid 20s and unless one of these young kids are can't miss like Andy Najar, then I doubt they'll just come in and start.. remember a lot of these guys derive from the Olympic team whom were U-23 while the others are in their 2nd full World Cup process.

After the World Cup expect a lot of youngsters to get their names called like 19 yr old Bryan Rochez, 19 yr old Maycol Montero, 19 yr old Luis "El Buba" Lopez who will definitely get his shot to be the new #1, and 19 yr old Marvin "Ricky" Barrios.

4. Anthony Robert

Oct 22, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I wonder who gets that last CB spot on the WC roster now that Montes hasn't played in months..
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it's between Velazquez Colon or Henry Figueroa.

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    There was a recent article on Montes and Suarez talking with him.. I didn't bother reading it though lol.

We're bringing 4 right? Chavez, Muma, Maynor... hmmmm lol @ Leveron. Henry isn't that nice, and Colon has kinda fallen off. I wouldn't mind a surprise lol. like Arlington Gutierrez or Bryan Acosta, but you're probably right.. I'll take a flyer on the Jaiba guy.

6. Anthony Robert

Oct 22, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Aren't those 2 wingbacks though? If it's a surprise I think it would be Henry Clark, but for our futures sake I hope it's a youngin. Figueroa's better than you think.. He's a big part of the best defense in the league right now.. But yeah Colon already knows Suarez' system and is more experienced

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Henry Clark didn't play in the Venezuela friendly did he?? If not, I see it hard for him to be called up for the World Cup. As you said, Colon has the HUGE advantage of already playing under Suarez for the NT and U-23 team. I doubt Suarez calls in a guy who hasn't been called-up already, especially if its for the World Cup.. only exceptions are Buba for obvious reasons.. lol @ Suarez going to Guatemala to watch Mendoza, hell no. Jona is the other one, cuz obvious 14 goals in Spain is no joke.

Didn't Figueroa work out with the NT already? he's 20 right??

Arlington is a CB so is Acosta technically.. they play in a 3 back system, so they don't really go forward or play that wide.

8. Anthony Robert

Oct 22, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No Clark was injured or something.. But yeah.. Colon has the advantage so I'd say him. And yes Figueroa has been called up before but hasn't made his debut, but they did make him cut his Afro:( But still he's 21 so I think he's the future! Lol poor MendoZa, but in Guatemala they love him!

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  11. Anthony Robert

Oct 22, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    First to take a crack at it...

No Jona =:(

Mario Martinez = :thumbsdown:

Luis Lopez = :D

Montes= :unsure:

Rony Martinez = :oops:

The rest were expected.. but i'm a little frustrated Suarez didn't take a chance on any other unexpected players besides Lopez who won't even play... Would have liked to see Jona and maybe Quioto or Reyes have a chance. Very predictable Suarez, but I have hope!

12. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Im extremely disappointed that Jonathan was not included...come on 15 goals is not enought???

13. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You have to ask if Jonas has that chemistry for the national team? Will that be as effective in the Nt whenhis rarely had any game with the NT.

I dislike the mario martinez but other then that I like it!

14. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Mario Martinez is a bit surprising, but I think he is a good selection overall. Suarez knows that Martinez has played in big stages before and held his own, you can't overlook the advantage that Martinez has by having had experience certain success at the Olympics.

I think Jona might had been useful, but Suarez must not rate him much.

Overall, this is the best we have available.

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think Suarez is going with chemistry, loyalty, and experience.

Maynor, Noel, Palacios, Izaguirre, Muma, etc all have experience from 2010 World Cup, now add the leadership of players like Costly and Espinoza (also went to South Africa) on the field along with Bengtson's clutchness on the highest stage and Mario Martinez's will to show-up only at the biggest games on the biggest stage and wala! You have a surprise package.

Not many people give us a shot, but then again we're facing a meh Ecuador side, a pretty good, but not elite Swiss side and probably the worse French side at a World Cup (meh), now add the fact this Honduran side comes in with that experience and familiar attitude of being the underdog.. watch out fellas.. watch the phuck out.

Only head scratcher here is Montes, but here's to hoping he isn't called upon in the World Cup. I think everything else is fine, I like the family/united thing Suarez has going on, not only is it important that these players be close chemistry wise on the field, but off the field as well.. they know each other very well and its almost the equivalent to an all Senior #3 Mercer side entering the NCAA Basketball tournament facing a #2 All-freshman Duke side. Experience will out-weight pure talent.

VAMOS HONDURAS!

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    So Luis Garrido might be out for the World Cup... fingers crossed plz!

Edder Delgado already getting his passport ready. Oh boy lol.

Luckily El Pitbul and Wilson Palacios are on the squad :D

17. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm guessing I'm the only Swiss Catracho on these boards. VAMOS CATRACHOS!

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Df.. Swiss and Catracho?

gonna have to explain that one to me pimp.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Summoning the honorary Honduras crew:

Lahnizzz

Lahnizzz repped this.
  20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My Swiss grandfather was working in Honduras, when my dad was born. I think my dad, my aunt, my brother and I make up the entire Swiss Honduran community. Dad trumps grandpa. I just hate when Honduras and Switzerland get drawn together.

21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd be eligible to play for Honduras, were I any good at futbol.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    But you root for USA right? lol

Second World Cup in a row that we're drawn in the same group as the Swiss. Hoping for some success.. I assume you don't have a team to root for in Honduras.

23. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I root for the results that helps both countries qualify. I cheered for Honduras for the match in SPS in '09. (Conor Casey's only 2 goals for the US.) I'm hoping I'm not a jinx for my fellow Catrachos. When was the last time a Tela club was in the Honduran top flight? I'd say Arsenal de Roatan is my favorite Honduran club. Just curious, do you go to Jesters games?

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Last time a Tela club was in Honduras top flight?? 2014 lol. Parrillas One is currently the only club in Tela playing in La Liga Nacional. They'll be entering their 3rd season in top flight football this summer iirc. Pretty good team with interesting players. Lesther Zavala and Rolin Alvarez are the players worth watching.

Arsenal de Roatan lol.. the club from Islas de Bahia? Yea one day they'll make it to the First Division, too bad they always choke somewhere along the line whether in the Gran Final or the Torneo Final. Thats Georgie Welcome's old club lol a cool team by all means.

I do not go to Jester games, but my brother plays for their ODP team so I'll probably attend some with him this season.