2014 Dallas Cup Results and Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sup Bro, Apr 13, 2014.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He definately is a good prospect but not yet ready to play with adults. He's got good skill but I'd like to see him combine more with teammates. Just holds on the ball alittle too long for me. He did have that really nice goal. Just want him to be consistently good more often.

2. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To be fair he hasn't really played consistently because of his off and on training stints with Utrecht but now that he's 18 hopefully that'll change. He'll get great coaching by the Dutch and play in reserve games so it'll be interesting to see his progress a year from now.

3. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    A lot of depth and talent..yet we still don't have a LB !%%$#

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dr Pepper Dallas Cup ‏@dallascup 1m
    FC Dallas U-18s defeat Swedish side IF Brommapojkarna in Dallas Cup Super Group finale

http://fb.me/2Nia5Rr8W

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just in case people didn't see the rest of the results...............

Josh Deaver ‏@JoshDeaver 9h
    1-0 #USMNT win. It wasn't pretty but #USMNT joins River Plate, Cortiba and Fluminense in the @dallascup U19 Super Group semifinals.

Also a recap of the US U20s game against Tigres:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...-mnt-advances-to-semis-at-dallas-cup_aid32845

“To be honest I expected just a little more from the team tonight,” Ramos said. “Not happy overall, I didn’t think we had enough possession for my liking. … But we earned the right to play another important game, which for me, at this part of the cycle is just great.”

Ramos’ team will play Brazil’s Fluminense in Friday’s semifinal (7:30, on TimeWarner Cable SportsChannel). Coritiba, also from Brazil, and Argentina’s River Plate are the other semifinal qualifiers in the 35-year-old tournament’s Gordon Jago Super Group.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also..................really nice result from the Galaxy yesterday. Despite not advancing, FCD and the Galaxy finished the tournament with wins.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/04/jaime-villarreal-scores-hat-trick-lift-galaxy-u-18’s-4-1-win-over-chivas-guadalajara

A hat trick from LA Galaxy U-18 forward Jaime Villarreal and a strike from Galaxy Homegrown Player Bradford Jamieson IV powered the Galax y U-18’s to a 4-1 victory over Chivas Guadalajara, finishing in second place in Bracket B with 4 points after a 1-1 draw against the RSC Anderlecht U-19 side on Sunday and a 2-0 loss to the Fluminense U-20’s on Monday.

"A fantastic performance,” said LA Galaxy Academy U-18 Head Coach Ante Razov. We executed our tactics perfectly with devastating effect. With a bit of luck we could easily have been top of our group. I couldn't be more proud of this group"

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Jaime Villarreal will be playing with LA2 next season

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jaime's a 95, meaning he should be there already. He's certainly not in the NCAAs like many of our non-pro '95s.

He's the same age as Jordan Allen. As we know, Jordan has already spent a season in the NCAAs at UVA and is now a pro.

Balerion repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little disappointing that LA2 hasn't used any academy players yet in USL Pro games. Hopefully that changes as the season goes on.

10. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I thought Shaq Moore had another really nice game. I also liked Ben Spencer as well. Last cycle's team was needed a physical CF. Spencer has those qualities and he had some really nice touches and interchanges yesterday. Have to imagine MLS will eventually snag him from Indy Eleven.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't forget he still belongs to Molde in Norway (though I'm not sure for how long).

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    True as that is, the positive angle is that he picked a very good time to score a hat trick. His fitness also looks dramatically better than it used to be, so perhaps he'll find a way to latch onto a pro team now.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    More highlights here
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/0...galaxy-u-18’s-4-1-win-over-chivas-guadalajara

The name players seem to have stepped forward. Goal #1 crossfield ball by McBean, Goal #2 fk assist from Sorto, Goal #3 comes from Jamieson on the left, Goal #4 phenomenal chest pass from Amaya.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Quality FK from Sorto, and (in addition to, as you say, a terrific chest pass from Amaya) an excellent hard run and finish at speed by Villareal. McBean's pass to BJ4 was misjudged by the defender but, hey, it got there!

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, from the highlights, that Chivas defender had a nightmare. What I liked from McBean was less the quality of the ball and more the presence of mind to play it.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are any of the GA cup games being streamed live?

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not impressed with finishing on the last two goals. #3 somehow sneaks in after a bad touch,
    #4: a horrible decision to move right on two versus keeper kills an angle and turns a sitter into adventure. The first goal was very nice however.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't think anybody, including Villareal himself, is writing letters home about the third goal. I do think Sorto's cross was pretty nice.

It looked to me that on #4, Villareal's penultimate touch was less a decision than an error he fixed with a nice, if difficult, finish. There was no reason for him to move to the right that I could see, and he seems to take some hard steps right after that touch to adjust. Just a guess of course.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, all goal leading crosses were nice and a good finish from a position he put himself in.

21. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    My thoughts as well. Props to Villareal for the hat trick although I give him the most credit for beating his man on the header for #2. As you said, #3 was mostly Jamieson with a bit of a lucky touch / carom, and he really should have passed to the left on #4.

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola out of the Dallas Cup as he's been recalled by Tijuana

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.