World Cup Travel - Visa for U.S. Citizens

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Lebowski, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jennifer W

Jennifer W Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Alex - Let me know if you get your passport. My friend in FL just did the same as you to avoid having to drive to Miami. He mailed his yesterday. Thanks!

2. Jennifer W

Jennifer W Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I got my visa at the DC consulate. When the circle for "ready for pick up" is red it means they will mail it out if you provided an postage paid envelope or you can go pick it up at the Consulate's office.

3. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine did that after they mailed it back. Did you send a trackable envelope for your return?

4. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend in LA just turned in visa applications for my wife and I today. He says the whole process was about half an hour. We used a printout of the email titled "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Random Selection Draw Application Results" to show I had successfully been awarded tickets. For her (my guest) we printed out the screen that shows her as my guest. Sent in email confirmation of flight itinerary, color photocopies of our driver's licences (to show jurisdiction), and of course the application printout with photos glued on. They did not take the $20 money orders. They will be ready for pick up on April 28.

os_mutante repped this.
  5. Alexjbaum

Alexjbaum Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Orlando, fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I did, but I probably wouldn't be able to start tracking it until tonight. Thanks for letting me know that though, that gives me a little hope. I'll find out when it comes back.

6. Alexjbaum

Alexjbaum Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Orlando, fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do, hope I can give you good news

Jennifer W repped this.
  7. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok got it, sorry. Since getting mine I haven't been keeping up with this thread that regularly.

8. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used FEDEX because my company has an account with some discounts. I think I paid about $25 total for overnight service both ways. But you can use any service you want, and no need to overnight. I was a bit tight with an upcoming international trip so I had to ensure I got my passport back in time, that's why I paid extra for overnight.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, it looks like El Bigote a couple posts up went through LA Consulate same as you did. I'm just waiting for the rest of my party to get their apps and photos ready so we can all hit the consulate together ASAP (and try to avoid this Ticket Certificate nonsense) but it's like herding cats.

10. Nikkimau

Nikkimau Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i went up to san francisco today with my sister and handed in our applications. It took most of the day cause I couldn't find parking for the bart station and the line inside the consulates took about a hour (there were about 80 people in front of us). Once we finally got to the window we just handed in our form, passports, and copy of ticket, which only took 5 minutes.

Wish we had gotten in straight in the morning. I expect there wouldn't have been such a crazy line. Overall it was a smooth process - now have to wait for April 24th to pick up our passports.

11. DC_United10

DC_United10 Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Just dropped off my Visa application in DC. Could not have been any easier. Just come prepared with the filled out Visa form. Print out any and all evidence of World Cup Tix and Flight information (I brought CC statement, email from FIFA and flight itinerary). Going to go back to pick it up on the 25th. No fees for processing or anything. Brazil here we come!

12. HerbiePopnecker

HerbiePopnecker New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, if it was acceptable at some point it is certainly not going to be accepted now. I received this e-mail from the Houston Consulate today:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    We have received new instructions yesterday from the Ministry of External Relations.
    Today we have received the first visa applications with ticket certificates and therefore, the email confirmation will no longer be accepted.
    The print-out from FIFA ticketing system alone is not admissible under current regulations.

If you will not have the confirmation from FIFA you are to submit a regular tourist visa request.

Regards,

Visa Department
    Consulate General of Brazil in Houston, TX
    visa.houston@itamaraty.gov.br

Grrrrr....I have not received the ticket certificate and I don't know when it's going to arrive.

13. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    WOW are you serious?!?!??! we were about to send our visas soon... however i guess this changes everything... WTF.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. That's what I was afraid of.

Quick question: on the visa form it says you need to put down a contact in Brazil. Is this necessary? I suppose we could put down a relative or a friend or something like that. Has anyone gotten their visa without putting a contact down though?

15. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to the bottom of the visa app printout, I just put my contact info. I have read on here that some have put a hotel's contact info, some have put their own name and phone number. I haven't heard from anyone that their app was turned back because they filled that part out wrong.

os_mutante repped this.
  16. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    WTF????
    I bought roundtrip plane tix to Houston to go there on the 28th. Hundreds of dollars + two days would be wasted if I don't get the visa because of this stupid "ticket certificate".

Why is it that the email confirmation is good for some people and not some other people? Sometimes I wonder if Brazil really has the competency to even host an event like world cup.

Their website still says this:

For spectators with purchased tickets (Case A.2)

H) "Ticket Certificate" to watch an official match of the FIFA World Cup 2014.

Note 1: Ticket certificates are only expected to be issued by FIFA sometime in April, 2014.
    Until FIFA starts issuying ticket certificates, the following requirements can be accepted:
    H.1) Copy of email confirmation of purchased ticket(s) from FIFA; and
    H.2) Copy of purchased airline ticket(s) to Brazil with travel dates during the World Cup 2014;

17. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    #492 clubamericalara, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    i think i am going to take my chances and send the screenshot/email confirmation with my travelvisapro agency app...worst case scenario i drive to houston consulate and get a visa and then drive back up to dallas to board my plane.

18. Sevenfly

Sevenfly New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Eugene, Oregon
    What time did you get there? My boss was down there at 10:30 and said it was a madhouse. I am flying in from Oregon next Wednesday at 8:30 and am going to hop BART down to the consulate. I was concerned that if I didn't get there before it opened and grab an early number that they would just shut down the windows when the clock struck 12:00, even if every one hadn't been serviced.

19. Nikkimau

Nikkimau Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got there around 11 and we left around 12:15. When we left there were at least 40 people still in line. There's no service number, you just stand in long queue.

You dont need to worry that they'll shut down the office at 12, but I would think getting there exactly at 9am you'd save yourself time.

Sevenfly repped this.
  20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By contact info do you mean you put your name, phone number, and address in the US?

21. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's terrible to hear. I've really lucked out...

22. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, the bottom of the printout page only asks for a name and a phone number, and I just put mine. Within the application (online) I put the name and contact info of the hotel in Brazil. I hope this helps.

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does, thanks. I owe you a tasty beverage down south.

El Bigote de Dalí repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning to SF Consulate customers - picking up your passport in person is a bad idea. Use mail instead!

U can pickup any day between noon and 1:00. My buddy went today. He got in line @ 11:45 with only 15 people in front of him, and he did not get serviced until 1:15! When he left, there were still 80 people behind him. The filing system is chaotic and the staff has to rummage thru many boxes to find a passport. only 2 windows were staffed until after 1:00.

25. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow after hearing all these stories I am impressed at how the NYC consulate works. If you have your documents in order, the process takes about 15 seconds at the window. Pickup is the same way.

And yes, for contact info you can put one of the hotels that you are staying at in Brazil. No problem.