GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Democratic legislators all put pen-to-paper and write all of their own bills, no staffers involved?

Your second point is equally dubious. Why wouldn't any politician that sees legislation working not try to institute it in their own jurisdictions? You agreeing with them is irrelevant.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    People seriously believe that CORPORAYSHUNZ!!!!!! donate completely to the Stupid/Evil Party? Still? Even after the last few elections where they tended to give to both, but slightly more to the eventual winner?

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not sure if we're talking about the gray or light blue.

As a true fiscal conservative, I want red slashed, a hard look at orange, yellow, and green, and I'm happy to join with cutting gray and light blue, too. Plus more revenues through higher taxes.

Anybody else who is a true fiscal conservative would likely think the same, but most people who call themselves that just want to attack light blue and maybe orange, grow the red, and shrink revenues.

[​IMG]

fatbastard and dapip repped this.
  5. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_named_after_Robert_Byrd

FU @American Brummie

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not corporate staffers.

Tell me how these bills are working, or for who are they working:

No Sanctuary Cities for Illegal Immigrants Act

# of States Introduced 23
    Closely resembles Arizona’s SB1070 law in that it mandates local law enforcement of federal immigration law, and allows private citizens to sue their local government if they feel the law is not being fully enforced. In addition, it further criminalizes the employment of illegal immigrants, and creates a crime of “trespassing” on state land without immigration status, and a crime of having an illegal immigrant in one’s vehicle, among other provisions.

The Disclosure of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid Composition Act

# of States Introduced 10
    Requires the disclosure of fluid used in the production of natural gas through hydraulic fracturing. It would also allow operators not to disclose any materials that are considered a “trade secret” or present incidentally in the hydraulic fluid, and would limit the ability of individuals to challenge a the operator’s claim to trade secret protection.

Castle Doctrine Act

# of States Introduced 9

Also commonly referred to as “Stand Your Ground” legislation, this act authorizes the deadly use of force against an intruder in a residence or vehicle. It declares that a person has a right to stand his or her ground under reasonable fear of great bodily harm. It also reduces the grounds under which law enforcement may investigate the use of deadly force under these circumstances.

ALEC State Withdrawal from Regional Climate Change Initiative

# of States Introduced 9
    Declares the lack of benefit to reducing carbon emissions in the state that would adopt it, and would provide that state reasonable cover to withdraw from a regional climate initiative.

Consistency of Firearm Regulation

# of States Introduced 9
    Prohibits local jurisdictions from independently enacting restrictions on the possession of firearms. This bill would also preempt the right of local jurisdictions to bring certain civil actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations, and dealers.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're smart enough for me to hate you. That should be encouraging.

http://cagw.org/sites/default/files/pdf/2012-pig-book.pdf

In 2010 alone, there were 9,129 earmarks. There are fifty places named after Robert F Byrd. 50/9129 = such a rare ********ing event that it's not even 1%.

God dammit. Think about what you're saying for a second. You're saying that an insanely rare event (a larger share of our population dies from heart disease each year than the share of pork barrel projects each year get named after Senators) is the model for your thinking about the event.

In essence, it's just like your beliefs on vote fraud. It happened once, it's possible, so the entire system around it ought to be destroyed.

God dammit.

8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Byrd spent Billions on that crap Brummie. Billions.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost every time I go for a drive in WVA, which I will probably do this weekend, I thank whoever created Senator Byrd out loud (usually I invoke the name of Science or The Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'll name your personal deity for just $19.95).
    Much better quality roads than Virginia has. I don't care who they're named after, that part's pretty much free, good roads and parks, etc benefit the citizens of the state, and some of us nearby citizens of other states but still citizens of the USA.
    Sometimes I'll even pay the higher WVA gasoline taxes that support the maintenance of said roads, but the lure of the comparatively untaxed gas in Va is often too great to pass up.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't necessarily have a problem with a lot of those Byrd projects: the money is there, and that's what it's for: doesn't mean that every project is worthwhile, obviously, but most of those projects look like they could improve the quality of life of people working, living in, or passing through West Virginia, and I don't think that's a bad thing for government to try to do.

I mean, better roads make tourism more likely, which brings in money that otherwise would stay out of state (says the guy who, with his wife, is considering a week in Blackwater Falls State Park this summer.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like people thought he was Ronald Reagan or something :)

chaski, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. I drive the WVA Turnpike more than a few times a year and this year had the opportunity to drive to Richmond, Va. I thought the interstate in Virginia was in much better shape than the WVA turnpike.

Always makes me laugh when the WVA Technology Corridor seems to be heavily forested mountains.

raza_rebel repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Given that the most advanced technology in West Virginia is bows and arrows, and canoes, that's actually appropriate.

stanger repped this.
  16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Byrd a President? ;)

I would think a President would have a ton of things named in honor of him, not because he stuffed an area full of cash.

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And moonshine. Don't forget the 'shine.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's covered by all the places with "science" in the name. And "metals fabrication" of course.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should drive by the Virginia Inland Port off I-81 and Hwy 340 (another road better in WVA but not great anywhere), that always cracks me up too :) As does the area you mentioned.

Is the Turnpike Highway 19? I don't get to that one much, but last time I took it from Pa to I-77 on my way to I-40 and Hickory NC and it was awesome, that was a few years back.
    The new work they've completed on Hwy 55 is also great, took us by surprise last summer when we went around a corner and the road was suddenly brand new and 8 lanes going straight instead of two lanes winding through the hills - we had no idea they were building it.
    Are you talking I-64 to Richmond? Figures they'd make the interstate I use the least be the nicest :) VA does do an alright job on the Interstates for the most part, I can't really complain.

There are some shaky back roads in WVA along with the nicer ones, I love driving on a lot of those too.

When you're driving through the mountain roads (I avoid interstates) often you can tell the state line with your eyes closed (passengers only please!), it reminded me of the difference I always noticed on I-90 between PA and NY; the NY side was smooth, the PA side, not so much.

The worst road mentioned above is I-40 through NC, what a horrible road.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say he spent $30 billion in 2000 on pork barrel spending (a figure that is twice the entire amount spent on pork barrel in 2000). The budget in 2000 was 1.7 trillion.

30/1700 = 1.8% of the size of the federal budget.

Now let's make the more realistic assumption (but since that would be 1/6th the entire 2000 pork-barrel budget, that's still an outlandish assumption) that he secured $3 billion in pork barrel in 2000. Our new number is - you wouldn't know how to make this math work, but it's 0.18% of the size of the federal budget.

You are dealing with extremely rare events and trying to build policy off of them.

A great example of this that might appeal to you: an AR-15 was recently used in the Sandy Hook massacre. AR-15s are the most dangerous weapon in the country and should be banned.

dapip repped this.
  21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You like to minimize the amounts. I tend to think a couple of billion dollars could have been better spent doing just about anything other than building a "Technology Corridor" in a pretty sparsely inhabited part of the country in order to have your name on a sign.

But hey, one mans waste is another mans grease.:rolleyes:

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That also happens when passing from what was West Germany to East Germany.

There could be a correlation..

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We spend over $650 billion on defense spending per year and you'd rather focus on $18 billion.

We spend over $700 billion on Medicare/Medicaid and you'd rather focus on $18 billion.

We spend over $750 billion on Social Security and you'd rather focus on $18 billion.

Millions of Americans are disenfranchised and you'd rather focus on the 70 people who were accused of voter fraud.

Can you tell me please what is wrong with the following graph?

[​IMG]

dapip repped this.
  24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It all adds up. So we shouldn't look at it because it's "only 18 Billion". At what level does it become something to pay attention to?

25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think you are exactly? You find it acceptable to treat people like this?

To quote someone much smarter than you are, "Go die in a fire"