Portugal New Kit

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by verde-rubro, Mar 5, 2014.

1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maritimo was founded in 1910 and they chose the republic colors red and green for their strip

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sounds like Old Man talk they should change the kit to a gradient and get with the times.....what's that?.....the 90's were done 14 years ago? Sounds like more old man talk.

3. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The lines radiate from the nike logo and are broken by the crest...? Are you serious? Can you not see how that's subjective? Then you have the balls to talk about design 101... Let's hear your credentials, didn't know we had Ralph fuckin Lauren amongst us hahahaha

Almost all of these are dynasties or original teams. Way to read selectively. And Old horse because you obviously can't take change much, not even when it comes to colors on a shirt that will be valid for a year lol...

Give it up Gooddead, you're not trolling anyone, and your arguments are getting weaker and weaker about the gradiant.. Just let it go and embrace the shirt for the time being pal

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's "Subjective"???? It's a fact just use your eyes:
    [​IMG]
    The Portugal crest is overlaid on top of the lines that just so happen to boarder the Nike Logo perfectly. If the lines broke around the crest (even though it doesn't border it top to bottom) then you can say its subjective what the lines highlight. But the lines run right underneath the crest SLOPPILY. So sloppy that it's clear the crest wasn't taken into consideration during the design process meaning the template was designed (All templates are used for some NT, Club teams and as blanks for small teams) and they slapped the Portugal crest on it afterwards to most likely help sales with the template. Not to promote the team, not to celebrate 100 years but to sell the template.

My design credentials? How about basic common sense? (and a Marketing diploma) A gradient that goes two ways is in place to highlight something and it sure as hell isn't our crest. Any other jersey you see with a gradient just has one direction and is in place as a design element to spruce up a bland front. On this jersey it goes 2 ways and there is a gap that draws attention to the object it surrounds and that is the Nike logo.

I'm fine with change but I'm against stupidity and being force fed crap that just like you said will last the course of 2 years before being dropped. And like I said, any other time thats fine to a degree (an NT jersey should and can be respected to make sales) but this is the wrong tournament and wrong year to dare to Zlatan a jersey.

5. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hilarious.. simply hilarious.. you're here arguing this shit like it's fact while it really isn't. You clearly know nothing about designing kits, much less design in general. Yes and I'm sure that Marketing diploma taught you loads about designing kits.

Now can you please answer this. If the god forsaken gradient broke perfectly around the crest, would there or would there not be TOO MUCH space around the Nike logo, given the size it is right now. Make the logo bigger so there isn't so much empty space and you'll scream that the Nike logo shouldn't be as big as the crest etc etc...

And could you picture the kit with a gradient on the front but without one on the back? Wouldn't look the best having a solid color on the back with a pattern on the front.. How could I forget, you would do away with the gradient entirely.

You see, you argue against everything the kit is, yet your ideas are just to make the kit as simple as possible... just stop it already, you can't be an expert on everything, even with a marketing diploma... lol

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why would the nike logo have to get bigger? I stopped reading after that nonsense clearly you are desperate to not be wrong about something you totally are either ignorant to or paid by nike not to admit.

7. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can live with it because it's just a kit and it's not what any of us are truly here for, but the kits are ugly if you disagree go burn everything in your closet and buy a new wardrobe.

joaommx repped this.
  8. charui

charui New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Does this combo look good? From the hockey team.

[​IMG]

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL did someone mess up the contrast or what? Puke green and brown....wow.

10. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    If anyone comes across a NT goalkeeper jersey...please remember me.

11. gutter_trash

gutter_trash Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the new 2014 kit is a tighter in the arm pits, I should have tried it on before buying. Too late.

2012's home kit was tightest on the arms due to shorter sleeves. 2014's home kit is tighter in the pits.

If you like the looseness of the 2006 and 2008 kits, I would recommend you size up because I hate tight arm pits and tight sleeves.

*hey overheadkicks, change your avatar! I had mine first

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wanted to get a Coentrao jersey...should have been the 2010 one.

Thought I'd wait until they were nicer..apparently I was wrong

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Away shirt is good the red one is horrendous. Usually prefer the away ones as that is where there is something different and they have been the better ones for a while.

14. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You surely know that the quinas - the oldest elements in our flag - are blue and white.

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, and? Blue and white are the monarchic colours by excellence, it's disingenuous to pretend they are "just" the quinas colours. It just doesn't pass the smell test when it comes to the colours that Portugal will be flying.

17. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Blue and white are only the monarchical colors because the Republican Party decided to change the national flag, before that episode blue and white were just Portugal's colors, without any connection to any system of government.

But if it's so wrong to use these colors we might aswell drop all other symbols dating from the monarchy like the quinas, the seven castles or the armillary sphere.

18. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I bought the red kit and it's awesome, hanging in my closet for the time being alongside the previous years kits. Can't wait to wear it June 12th and never take it off

19. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The green and red were the colours of the republicans, and the replacement of the blue and white in the flag of 1910 was a statement that Portugal was no longer a monarchy (changing them was not without controversy, but those who supported the change framed it in that way and so it came to be). So our green and red cannot be historically understood without contrasting them with the blue and white. The 1st of December is called "the day of the flag"/"Dia da Bandeira" because that change of colours in our flag was a statement about the change from monarchy to republic.

The other elements remained because Portugal's history belongs to its people and not just to the monarchs. So we have both continuity and change.

20. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have to say the red kit looks great in reality, I wasn't too keen when I saw it in pictures. I might actually get one too.

21. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But mine has a better resolution :(

22. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why are you using such a random medieval Portuguese flag anyway? At least it's the flag of our best king but still, it's weird.

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yup, the jersey's are very nice after seeing them up close.

best Portugal kits in a very long time, still bothered by the monochrome first kit but the shirt is excellent.

Haters gonna hate

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #99 GoodDead, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Just realized whenever I don't buy a Portugal jersey we usually have a crap tournament (2002,2010) think I have to go back on my word and get the new one. As much as I can't stand it, Nike making something so different really got wallets open for some reason. I seen so many more of this years kits compared to the 2012's at Gillette and on TV at Giants and on the streets of Toronto. Last year during the Netherlands friendly there weren't many people wearing the 2012 kits. I saw more 2006, 2010, 2008, 2004, and more bootleg shirts and jerseys then the at the time current kits.
    If anyone in Toronto knows where I can get an authentic instead of a replica that would be appreciated.

Time to eat crow, knock yourselves out.

25. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you better get the kit Quick, kick off is tomorrow