News: Tannenwald: Atlanta in as #22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lfcli30, Apr 6, 2014.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long until Yankee Fan starts making a stink?

2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are yall seeing the number?

3. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you checkout.

4. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm, I got the paypal confirmation but didn't see the number. Somehow missed it, but I'm on board!

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say that Atlanta's initial presentation to MLS is a lot farther along than NYCFC was.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just paid for something I can't even use for three years. Something which is likely to be available at the same price (or, laughably, less) in three years. I am a sucker. Happily so.

jayd8888, HardHatMike, Barbieri and 5 others repped this.
  7. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing it now. I'm #1291

8. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way! I can only hope that in three years the team will be amazing and I will not be able to resist going to games three hours away from me.

9. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay i'm not bothering to read this thread and instead will just assume that everyone else agrees that this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Q Exp and tab5g repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the Crew fans welcome to Atlanta has made Olbermann's worsts tonight (due to some historical inaccuracy). He'll have the segment in about 15 minutes on ESPN2.

11. Step Over

Step Over Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #861 Step Over, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Was at the event. Awesome experience! Blank got choked up when talking about his family and soccer. Downtown stadium and smart owner. Also really impressed with Terminus Legion. It's going to be a success.
    I'm #1391

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, not a historical inaccuracy (he did point out that Sherman never really lived in Ohio once he left for military school at age 16, and was actually stationed at a military school in Louisiana, later to become LSU, when the war started), he just thought it was a poor attempt to start something with a team that has no name, players, or games scheduled yet.

Barbieri repped this.
  13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very cool but kinda wish they start playing in 2016 and yes in a rented stadium for one season. Hell be bold 2015...

Congrats Atlanta!!!

14. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True, the expansion draft is already going to suck next year with 2 teams. Having another 2 in 2017 is annoying.

Or Miami could get delayed to 2018, that works too.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Since contraction, there have been 9 expansion teams, plus one city gaining a team via relocation. Here's the list of the teams that came in with a grass SSS or firm plans for one:

Philadelphia Union
    Montreal Impact

16. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seat deposit made.

Sounders78 and Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #867 Zoidberg, Apr 17, 2014
    No you aren't.

I lived in Europe for close to 5 years from 99 to 2004. I kept re-upping on 4 season tix, even though I only used two when I was here, to make sure I was supporting the team and league because I wanted there to finally be a real future for the game here. I never went once but never felt like a sucker....

...especially not now. There are folks who bitch, moan and complain and there are folks that do. Don't ever feel like a sucker for trying and doing. At every age there are huge swaths of folks who still can't do, don't get it, and never will. Trust me, I have dealt with thousands of employees over the years. The way it is.

There are some gullible, mundane, repetitive types who are classic examples right here on this thread.

Barbieri and SabreKhan repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, although TFC came in with turf they changed BMO to grass a couple years later.

fuzzx repped this.
  19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, a team that Crewfan can feel better than, for now

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Then again Atlanta may have more paying customers than Columbus even before they play a match the way things are going it seems.:D

Oh yeah....Olbermann's a douche.

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sherman was born and raised in Lancaster Ohio, along with his brother John, who represented Ohio in the US Senate for a quarter century. His father sat on the Ohio Supreme Court. To say he's not a native Ohioan is laughable.

His birthplace is now a museum in Lancaster. Most of his Civil War effects are there.

He left Ohio to attend West Point, after which, as an officer of the US Army, he was stationed in various places around the country. He left the army when he was offered a job running a bank in California, which failed, and then was superintendent of a military academy on Louisiana (which later became LSU).

None of which make him not a native Ohioan.

After the war he served as commander of the US Army, living in Washington DC until retiring in 1883, when he moved to New York to work with Teddy Roosevelt and others on conservation issues.

All his life he self identified as an Ohioan.

As for the rest of this, it's a freakin joke, Jesus Christ, can't some of these people lighten up.

If this is how Atlanta fans are going to react whenever other teams fans ride them a little, they need to leave now.

Frankly, they ought to see this kind of thing as a "Welcome to the club" moment and be pleased.

Apparently they're just not that bright.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #872 tab5g, Apr 17, 2014
    I thought the whole point of the "welcome/taunt" was to get a response from the new fans.

The fans, new and old, are what will drive this league. And the response (just as much as the initial welcome), as "non-bright" as either/neither/both may be, is what will help this league.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Isthmus be Christmas Day, I just got a new MLS team in my hometown!

24. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show some respect. No one down here in Atlanta is offended. If anything we thought it was hilarious(especially me). Also my fiance put down my deposit and I'm 1497.

harrylee773 and joehooligan0303 repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yeah, but are u truly from Atlanta? You use way to many big words.