Barcelona signs Ben Lederman to academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yes, looks like the club is doing it of their own accord as a precautionary measure.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As Sinatra once said: Who he?

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ha! OK, he was born in 2004. That is ... lovely. Good luck to him.

I am old.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Last video is from 5 yrs ago. He's around 10 and he's still there?

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd assume so.

I checked his Facebook fan page, and it has a pic of him from 2013 (november) in Barcelona. I'd assume he's still there..but you I am not sure.

Like I said--I haven't talked to my buddy in a couple of years (the brother of Bouchy's mom).

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Did he go there for footballing reasons only? ;)

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haha.

No comment.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sean Monaghan‏@SeanMonaghan_SMApr 6
    . @USAprospects @klinsmannschaft I'll let rabbit out the hat:There is an American from Miami named Conrad currently with Barca's u13 team

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Konrad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ok that helps alot???? Any details other than one of his names starts with a K rather than a C.

12. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Pl@ymaker and SUDano repped this.
  13. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #488 CapeCodFutbol, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Sure, he played for FC Damm prior to joining up with Barca this year, and before that he played for CE Tecnofútbol where he tore it up (these are all youth clubs in the greater Barcelona area; I think Damm is sponsored by Damm, the brewer of the ubiquitous Estrella Damm in Barcelona). He's a right footed forward that plays on the right side of the typical Barca front 3.

Adrià Bernabé (Espanyol), Miguel Angel Ramírez (Betis), Miguel Vega (EF Alboraya), Nico González (Montañeros) y Nils Mortimer (Málaga) are the guys he came in with. Other than Konrad, I've heard people excited about Bernabe (I think correct name is Adrian, even though Adria is a bastante common name). He's playing Infantil B, the same squad as Take who is one of the youth players at the heart of the recent controversy (and incidentally Take is pretty well regarded). Final random note, since it's come up before in this thread (with comments from Lederman's dad), but none of the 59 additions to the cantera this year came from the Escola affiliate.

Tom Collingsworth and SUDano repped this.
  14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    So sounds like he was born in Miami, but moved to Spain at a young age?

15. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all appearances, that is the case. Definitely born in Miami, and is listed everywhere as a US citizen (which is obviously true if born in Miami, I just mean that no competing nationalities have ever been listed).

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    "Don't touch La Masia"

[​IMG]

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sometimes I find the arrogance of Barca completely nauseating.

Nobody is touching La Masia you dolts. What FIFA/UEFA is telling you is you have to play by the same rules as everybody else regarding the signing of minors.

stonejh127 and SoCalYid repped this.
  18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The more I ponder this the more it seems to me that Lederman’s spell at Barcelona is doomed.

I can’t see him being reinstated in the program until the club’s appeal gets ruled on. So that likely means his current season is over, since it’s set to end in mid-May anyway.

But what kind of scenario would it take that would allow him to stay? Is anyone really expecting FIFA to completely change their policy on the international transfer of minors? And it’s still obvious that his parents only moved the family over there for football reasons — something they openly admitted to just a few months ago in a NY Times article.

Maybe if Ben were a few months away from turning 18 I could see Barça keeping him on while they ride out the storm. But he hasn’t even turned 14 yet.

So why would the club risk further punishment by hanging on to the few offending cases?

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ll be really surprised if the outcome is anything other than showing him the door.

19. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two Americans (brothers) from South Texas who have been at Barca since very early in their lives. They live their with their mom and sister primarily and come home during the Summers, usually. No press on them either.

As for Lederman, I don't think it is a big deal. if he can play for barca academy, I suspect he can play at another academy of his choosing.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but with all the publicity, that academy will have to be in the US or Israel.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not based on the rules he can't.

22. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    The 2 South Texas kids are in the FC Barcelona Escola which is completely different then their Academy La Masia

23. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    Not being all that familiar with the rules involved in the Lederman/Barca situation, the question that jumps out at me is how is his enrollment at La Masia fundamentally different than Hyndman at Fulham or Pelosi at Liverpool?

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Hyndman and Pelosi both have European passports. Lederman doesn't.

BostonRed repped this.
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are also much older. In order to move across the EU to different countries a player must be 16.

Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.