RSL @ Philadelphia Union, Saturday, April 12 @ 2:00 PM Utah Daylight Time (UDT)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 8, 2014.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more upset about the fact that we had nobody covering the far post. If ANYONE is covering the back post, that shot doesn't go in. That goal was pretty terrible in general, as it looked like 3/4 of the Philly players were completely unmarked.

For me, if you're going to bring on Sandoval, it has to be for Sabo. They're similar enough that they occupy the same space, and they're both so slow that it gives the defense the ability to play a high line without much fear of anyone getting in behind. I'm not a fan of Sabo/Sandoval out there at the same time.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, people get behind Tony like that quite often...its just that most of our opponents do not have the class to take advantage. Face it, that cross was world-class. It could not have been executed any better. The striker followed up with perfect control and finishing. Those aren't things you see in every MLS game, to be honest. I think it is worth noting that the two plays where we have really been burned on the counter this year (Keane and Union) came down the right wing. As far as the set piece disaster, it was only a couple of years ago that opponents targeted Sabo as our weak link on corners. He was horrible at defending them. I don't know why they went away from that...maybe we adjusted. However, Saturday's lack of marking was not a surprise to me at all.

Ismitje repped this.
  3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So Tony gets burned on the right and its the left side fault? Ok

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right side of the opponents offense. our left

The Philly first goal is largely on Wingert. He got caught high and flat. Really, this is one of the biggest flaws of the defense. When we put the outside backs on an island,we're inviting slotted through balls. If the wing backs get caught just a little too high, it causes the whole defense to chase. Schuler has to slide off his forward. Borchers has to slide over. Tony has to keep tabs on two players.

Looking at the replay, it's a comedy of errors by the whole defense. Wingert initiated it, Tony finished it off. Nobody had a good sequence there.

Ismitje and RSLer repped this.
  5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 RSLer, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    No, its two different aspects. Tony got burned because he felt that he had to go to the left part of the field to help out on the counter. Looking at the clip of the play, you will see that the Union had someone making a run up the center. I think Tony saw that player and came over to cover. In doing so he didn't see the player set up in the area that he is supposed to defend. If it wasn't for the break away down the Union right flank (our left) he would not have been put into the position that he was put in.

As it relates to my first observation, Tony drifts into the middle a lot to help defend attacks down our left flank. Opposing forwards and mids then drift into the space he vacated. He feels safe in doing so because it rarely gets punished. So, what it boils down to for me is this: Tony appeared to get burned, but is it his fault that he had to move to the middle to defend? Is his action the cause or is it a symptom created by a problem elsewhere?

Allez RSL repped this.
  6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that a description of most soccer goals?

7. MatthewC

MatthewC Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nice to read/see that Luuuuuuuke is doing well for RSL.

Signed, we really, really miss his energy with the Rowdies.

pcny, Ismitje and rslfanboy repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and no.
    there is an element of defensive breakdown in every goal, true. but some are more brutal than others. This one comes because of Wingert being out of position and then everyone trying to slide correctly.

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But after watching the replay I can't understand why Tony drifts over. Schuler and Borchers are both marking a man, and there isn't another player in the area besides Wenger. There isn't a reason to double team with Borchers either. I think Tony just lost track of Wenger.

GoReal repped this.
  10. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, I agree. He slides over, but covers no one that wasn't already covered.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the offer Biff, but I will pass. No yelling for me tonight. :)

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  13. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took the bait. Was not disappointed.

TL;DW Borg agreed with the no-call PKs against RSL and even thought Vela had a case for one. Also, linesman tells Philly player to stop flopping and field mic picks it up. 10/10 would watch again.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its the least borg-esk one yet.
    That he actually said a hard foul was only a yellow, like it got, shocked me (clark against new england)

JLaw repped this.
  15. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borg used to have one thing going for him over the DC; consistency. Lunatic but consistently so. Seems as though his lost it. That was the least crazy he's been. The yelling is still there...

16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    WHAT!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT! JLAW DESERVES A RED CARD FOR CONFRONTATION!

;)

JLaw and 15 to 32 repped this.