Oklahoma City, In the Press.

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Again, outside of the "irrelevant" D2 NASL diehards, NO ONE CARES OR KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. I don't know how hard it is to understand. Ask the average soccer fan in the city, and they couldn't tell you the difference and do not care to know the difference. They don't care about front offices, politics, past failures, or any of that. They care about taking the kids to watch soccer and right now, the Energy is it. And with the NASL having no home, no team, and their ace gone, they are as irrelevant as the opinions on this board when discussing the average persons attitude towards soccer in this city.

You bring up an interesting point though. Since ManU wants to "support the highest level of soccer in the city", a statement he's made on here as well as other message boards, then I'm sure he'll be supporting the Energy over the NPSL team this year, correct? I mean, it IS the highest level of soccer in the city, that's where our support should default to, correct?

Sadly, he'll weasel word his way out of that as well. And that hypocrisy, among other things, has put me completely off of the NASL group. If their fanbase is any indication, I really don't want anything to do with them. So enjoy whatever success you have. Much like Warmth was with the Energy, I will actively work, when given the opportunity, against them. I could be hitching my cart to the wrong horse, but I doubt it.

2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you JUST say that? And you're proud of this? You don't know the difference between D2, and D3? HAHAHA!
    That's awesome. Not a good spokesman for that side, man. OR, you're just the kind of fan that Prodigal has alwyas looked for.
    Actually, if you ask the average SOCCER FAN the CAN tell you the difference. If you ask the average person in the street, no they probably couldn't. But does that settle the deal for you? Do you base your opinion of something on what the "average person" thinks?
    I'm glad I'm not the "average person", then. For whatever reason, I do care about those things.
    And this is also what I rail against, and I don't CARE how many people disagree with me. I want MORE than that. I want more than just something to do on a Saturday night. I don't want my city's team to just be another option for entertainment. Some people will always see it like that, and that's fine. But I want more. Sorry.
    OK, if you really believe that B.S. that Tim McLaughlin is the only person in OKC with money, then you're either delusional, or you work for the nRg.
    So you're saying I should just shut up and take it? My opinion doesn't mean anything? Wow, what an arrogant attitude. and just because Funk and co. were first to market, well that's it? No more innovation? No competition? The Party has decided this is what we will have? Sorry comrade, I don't agree.

Not weaseling out of anything. Look through ANYTHING I've ever said. ANYTHING. I have ALWAYS said what my intention are (like I care what you think anyway)
    I will support Oklahoma City FC. This tear in the NPSL, and next year in the NASL.
    And I will do this, because they are trying to bring us the highest level team we can have. And IMHO I believe that is the NASL, not a farm team for someone else, in a league that has 1/4 of it's teams drawing <1,000/game.
    I also want to support them because of their history. They didn't just put up a shingle saying "Soccer" a few months ago. They are a true grass-roots organization with deep ties to the soccer community in central Oklahoma. But you probably didn't know that

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  3. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    And you just proved my point. Carry on with your crusade and enjoy your "team", you know, once they have a place to play.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would bet the plurality does not care about USL or NASL or MLS and are busy watching European / Mexican Soccer, and another large section does not care about the new teams because to them it is MLS or nothing.

Sadly that happens in our country, we have lots of "EuroSnobs" and lots of "MLSsnobs"

But I do agree with you, for that small segment of soccer fans that just want live soccer locally, there is no difference between USLPRO and NASL, at least not to the largest part of that small segment.

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #157 USRufnex, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Actually, in 2015, unless somebody puts an end to all this craziness, there will be FOUR:
    USL Pro, NPSL, NASL, and PDL

I stopped reading there. I lived in OKC for years and years... you don't need to lecture me.
    And I've stopped reading your posts in general because I found most of them to be nauseatingly optimistic.
    Frankly, you sound like the OKC Chamber of Commerce.

If that were the only reason, you'd have a point.
    However, the NASL OKC people have (thus far):

1. Lost their talking point that the USL Pro team would never play a game.
    2. Lost their PDL club and moved to the NPSL.
    3. Lost their lead investor and spokesman.
    4. Watched helplessly as their lead investor/spokesman defected to work for the USL Pro OKC Energy.
    5. Lost the ability to use the soccer field where the PDL club played last summer (OCU).
    6. Lost their lease to play at Taft Stadium.
    7. Lost their talking point that the USL Pro club had "no place to play."
    8. Watched helplessly as the OKC Energy announced that they would play at Taft Stadium in 2015.

Actually, your buddy Brad Lund and SOS wanted USL Pro as their FIRST CHOICE over the NASL, so one could easily argue that they don't know (or don't care) about the difference between D2 and D3, either.

HAHAHA! If Brad Lund and SOS ended up with the USL Pro team and it was Bob Funk Jr and Prodigal who were the ones pushing an NASL club to start in 2015, you'd change your tune so fast.....

They started a PDL club last year hoping they could get an inside track to USL Pro over Bob Funk Jr. So yeah, one year averaging 1,100 fans per game is not really something that qualifies as "history." :rolleyes:

NegativeCreep repped this.
  7. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Honestly, with all the dumb shit going on here, I completely forgot about that. But it's whatever at this point. Only two of those will be getting my money. Though, I will try to catch Tulsa...whoever they play in whatever league...when I can.

He is rather optimistic often. Not just here, but other boards I've seen him on. Kind of a breath of fresh air occasionally though.

None of that matters because...DUH!...D2 > D3!!! Herp derp, blah blah blah.

*prepares for the incoming excuses, backpedaling, and general asshattery that's going to go on*

lol, I said the same thing, but got shot down. Good luck.

I think he's talking about the OKCFC, which I think has something to do with youth soccer here in the city. Apparently, that means something when it comes to professional soccer.

8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There are just some things you don't dignify with an answer or response.

ManuSooner and Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  9. elitespy

elitespy Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  10. Shamrock78

Shamrock78 New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    I sure hope they can fill TAFT when for instance Dayton Dutch Lions show up, cause the lease wasn't cheap if I remember correctly. And they didn't loose their PDL club but they pulled it out to register in NPSL. I do wonder were they will play in NASL though...

11. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Confusing situation in OKC with NASL & USL-Pro developments.

IMO: With Taft & C.B. Speegle stadiums under renovation; here are some temporary facility options OKC NASL FC could pursue:

Oklahoma City area high schools: Putnam City High School*, Del City High School and OC Douglass have stadiums with minimum seating for 5,000 to 7,000.

In the OKC metro area high schools: Moore*, Midwest City & Carl Albert, Yukon and Edmond*.

*Some of these stadiums share two or more high schools using one facility.

Anyone with knowledge of OKC NASL's updates, please share...

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are still working. Don't want to announce anything until its 100% and all the contracts are signed.

13. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    let's field the teams, the paying fans will decide, but projecting from evidence, no one can argue that the NASL is losing the overall battle, attendance wise.

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about here? Or overall? What evidence do you mean?

15. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    attendance #'s. NASL attendance is ahead of USLPRO. True or False? I am glad two teams in different leagues will be in this Mid-West Capital, it will be a great barometer for the sport in this country. Let the paying customers decide, if the Energy out draw OKCFC or visa versa we can decide a winner, no?

16. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely. Sorry, i guess I misunderstood. I totally agree with you.
    2013 NASL Average attendance: 4,663
    (8) teams with average attendance > 4,000
    Lowest average attendance: Edmonton - 2,301
    44% of games played in front of => 5,000
    (1) game played in front of < 1,000
    2013 USL-Pro Ave Attendance: 2,826
    2013 USL Pro: (5) teams with average attendance > 3,000
    (4) teams with average attendance < 1,000
    18% of USL-Pro game played in front of =>5,000
    28% of games in front of < 1,000

So far in 2014:
    NASL Average attendance - 7,289 (One week of games, but hey! :))
    - Lowest attendance: Ft Lauderdale - 3,105
    - Indy Eleven had 11,048
    They also have 7,000 STH's
    USL-Pro Average attendance - 2,396
    - Out of 18 games, so far, (1) had an attendance >5,000
    - Out of 18 games, so far, (5) had an attendance < 1,000

- Ultimately it's the fans who will decide. And even I will admit that the nRg have done a good job so far getting the word out. They really have.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partially, but really, it will be the Owner that can afford to lose money for the longest time that will be the real decider

Prosoccercdn and Laramie repped this.
  18. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No, he and others may support the D2 NASL groups NPSL team this year and the NASL team next year as he favors the higher level NASL team in the long run. If he hopes for the higher level NASL team to succeed why would he support the D3 USL Pro team and possibly contribute to their success at the detriment to next years NASL team? Partly factoring in, the more successfull the Energy is this season the less likely the higher level NASL teams chances of existing in 2015 although there's other factors as well.

So you as a firm D3 USL Pro guy won't be supporting the higher level NASL team if it arrives next season because of your biases but are criticizing someone else who does the same for their chosen team/organization. Pot, meet Kettle!

ManuSooner repped this.
  19. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    I wasn't a firm anything guy until the the NASL guys showed their asses. I want nothing to do with a group of people like that. So maybe you should know what the hell you are talking about first. :)

elitespy repped this.
  20. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Greatest fear that could result in the USL-Pro vs. NASL rollout has to do with the fact that fans becoming alienated with the process of what both of these groups are attempting to do.

My observation is that the NASL which is classified as he higher tier of the two wants to establish its foundation in as many large metro area cities (preferable 1 million or more); especially those with name-recognition.

The USL-Pro Oklahoma City Energy is selling its group as the pathway to the MLS; based on many current franchise cities who have leapfrogged from USL to the MLS.

Some fans are going to support one of these groups; some will attempt to initially support both. The danger that exists here is that if the fan base becomes alienated; will they unite when one ownership group is left standing.

My respect for ManuSooner's opinion because he does take a stand. The odds of both of these groups succeeding in a marginal (unproven) market as ours is like a cricket surviving an attack from a hungry rooster on the open prairie.

If the NASL succeeds in Oklahoma City, unless it is competitive with the MLS--it's going to be considered a 'junior' league to the MLS.

If the USL-Pro succeeds in Oklahoma City, will the current ownership group aggressively pursue moving OKC to the next level (MLS) as they have hinted; or will they be content with operating a successful farm development system for Kansas City?

U. S. Rufnex did bring up a glaring point about establishing a soccer fan base. Many of us on this forum are optimistic about the future of soccer in OKC; myself, I'm guilty of putting the cart before the horse--pie in the sky dreamer.

My hope is that when the dominoes fall with one left standing; our city will unite behind the surviving ownership group. A long extended knock-down, drag-out territorial turf war will be detrimental to whoever is left standing. It would be like two children fighting over a popsicle (on a hot day) only to have it melt when the battle is over.

ManuSooner and Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  21. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like negative creep I had intended to support both, but because of the NASL OKCFC fans on here. With countless attacks against my character for stating that I would support both. I can not support and will not support any group whose fans would rather Oklahoma be like eastern europe where only thier oppinion is right and all else be damed I've gotten to where I don't post in the NASL forum much for that reason so like negative creep I've decided to fully support the Oklahoma City Energy FC. However it seems like this supposed "war" is not between the fo's in the end they both are gonna do whats right for thier business' it's more the fans that are waging this "war" and I for 1 don't like being told who I should support. Besides at this point I doubt that the fo of the OKC FC has the finances to back up what they claim and Moore Hs has been mentioned as a possible stadium site I have it on good authority that it will not be. The fo has not really addressed anything since the expansion announcement the only announcements made have concerned their entry into the npsl nothing regarding the nasl entry we are left with supposition in regards to the NASL whereas the Jacksonville Armada entrty is light years ahead. Just my oppinion

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know guys, this has gone far enough. If anything I have said has made people think I was besmirching them personally, then I apologize. Never my intention. I have strong opinions about this, and I can sometimes get worked up. And there have been times during this whole discourse that I felt the same way. I felt personally attacked for supporting OKC FC. But most of that has come from one poster up the turnpike.
    So can we just stop with all of this? If we want to talk about our teams, then fine. But there are already too many buttholes on B.S. (not from Oklahoma) that seem to delight in putting other people down just for opinions they have.
    You support your team.
    I'll support mine.
    Fair?

23. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    mikehurst21:

I'm among those who will support both, please don't take anything personal that anyone says to you on a forum--as my mother engrained in me, 'consider the source.' Posters on this forum do not in anyway represent the two competing organizations. Sports' management groups would not disapprove of any fan supporting both, any more than if you spent your money on baseball or ice hockey.

24. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    But considering the source is what brought about this decision, at least for me. I've seen nothing but bad attitudes, "holier than thou" posts, and general asshattery from the NASL crowd. That has nothing to do with the FO or team, but the people I would have to interact with. And it's just not something I'm cool with or want to be associated with. And it's not just the ones here, though they had a BIG part in it, it's the overall attitude of the NASL fanbase that I've observed here on BS.