Racism Today

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    You clearly don't know what it is that I asked for an example of.

2. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    The second and fourth one on B and the top two on I.

And that's just in the last two pages. Germerica is blazing through this. I'm impressed.

[​IMG]

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pretty much. 'Nutter, you're better than this...

soccernutter repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing where he is coming from. I'm done.

Germerica repped this.
  5. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Not even close, but ok.

Yeah, couldn't see this coming.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2881 Dr. Wankler, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

He's done the "lazy, stupid, some other stereotype" on threads where issues like voting rights have come up. And this whole thing has the "victim of reverse racism" air around it, too.

Though to be fair, I actually did date an Asian woman in college, I actually do have black friends, and I really do like ethnic food. Alas, didn't watch The Wire. I did read The Bell Curve when it came out, however. Murray is a funny dude, though I don't think that's his intention.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do agree with him on Holder though.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where's my magnifying glass??? ;)

Moishe and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Holder is a knucklehead and not a good AG. However, bigger knuckleheads have occupied that office over the course of my life, and there have been worse AGs.

Moishe repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure the article makes it as clear as it could that the former east Germany and west Germany were two countries until 1990 and although reunification made them one politically, they're actually still rather different.

I haven't been there for many, many years but my guess is that visiting the former west Germany would be not unlike visiting any OTHER northern European country. Visiting the former east Germany would be more like visiting other parts of the former eastern bloc.

Maybe one of our other posters knows more such as @The Jitty Slitter ?

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw that, but didn't feel a need to comment as they're unified now. If the residents are allowed to travel throughout the new nation (and there's no reason they wouldn't be), then the same dangers would be present in the former West as in the former East. Just a difference in frequency, perhaps.

They are all European. Why differentiate between the Eastern Bloc and the rest? Or, for that matter, north and south? Pim Fortuyn was Dutch, not Italian or Greek or Spanish. Belgian Guy has weighed in here more than once about the ugliness of his own nation.

Would love to read his take.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, to answer your question directly, because it's not the same everywhere so if people wish to travel, (the point of the post I believe?), it's better they know about the conditions in the place they're travelling to... not some place a thousand miles away.

Regarding your point that all of Europe can be thought of as every OTHER bit of Europe... well, following your post to it's logical conclusion, nobody would ever go ANYWHERE, would they, because there's probably some racist arseholes somewhere in the vicinity.

That doesn't seem very sensible to me.

In any event I was just mentioning the reasons as to why some areas are worse than some others... that's all.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then you'd have simply said that the conditions in what was once West Germany are better than they are in what was once East Germany. The amount of crossover is what would concern travelers, and you didn't address that beyond saying that they were "different".

I was simply pointing out that there might not be much sense in differentiating between northern Europe and Southern Europe when you can differentiate between specific countries, period. The latter would be more helpful to a traveler, especially one who wanted to travel in parts of Southeastern Europe.

Side topic: Why does Russia play in UEFA instead of AFC?

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Majority of the population is in Europe in addition to a historical cultural connection to Europe rather than Asia.

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It depends...

If you look like this?

[​IMG]

... maybe!

If you look like this...

[​IMG]

... not so much :)

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about this?

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, OK! I'd have thought it was obvious, tbh, but nevertheless...

Yes, there are differences and what's noticeable is that countries with the fewest black people sometimes have most racial discrimination. What also noticeable is that richer countries have less racial tensions but then, they also have lower social tensions anyway so that makes sense.

In the same way that countries with fewer black people have higher racial tensions, (and social, like I say), the areas with lower black populations within those countries have higher racial tensions.

Of course, I know English people who have been shouted and sworn at in southern Ireland so, let's get it straight, it's not like Europe is one happy, homogeneous group where only people perceived as being from OUTSIDE have a problem.

In fact, that's partly why we've had a few... shall we say, 'disagreements', in the past... such as WWI, WWII, etc. etc.

A few years ago, (well, back in the mid 70's actually), a workmate of mine was in a pub in Dublin and saw a fella looking at him 'funny'. This guy, who he'd never seen before and was as pissed as a newt, sidled up to him and shouted "You're a bloody murderer". The guy behind the bar shouted "Sling him out" and, for a moment, my friend thought he meant him :D

Anyway, the fact is there are arseholes EVERYWHERE, as I'm sure you're aware.

But it's true to say there are more in some areas than others.
    Well, fair enough I suppose but my guide would be to look at the overall levels of deprivation in a country and use that as a starting point, i.e. pretty much the same as everywhere else. I think the point is, though, that most tourist areas in Europe are reasonably well off so there shouldn't be a problem.

Well, that is until you speak and they realise you're a yank... :eek: :D

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What... fat people y'mean? Yeah, we love 'em :)

:giggle:

Moishe repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess this wouldn't be the time to suggest that it's pretty much ALL Asia or ALL Europe, should be at least, especially in the eyes of the folks who call North and South America one continent.

Only if you're poor AND Jewish. Then you'd be the smallest demographic on Earth :D

Dude, you UEFAns have to stop the wannabe model thing. It's not manly to care that much about one's weight unless you're an athlete.

Moishe repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Basically, it would just be Moishe :D
    ... or unless you're a fat bastard yerself. That works too :(

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh, I've been fat before. I thought it was hilarious because I knew the weight would come right off as soon as my job description changed, and it did. In 1997 and 1998 I was spending every business day and every other Saturday on the road (insurance sales and claims), eating at buffets and iHoPs and Waffle Houses and Mexican food trucks and Asian food trucks and in old ladies' kitchens. The only walking I did during that period was from my car to the door of a customer's home or office. I blew up to 215 pounds (5' 11"- 6') and out of every belt and pair of khakis I had.

That's how I eat to this day, but because I'm no longer in a traveling sales job, I get enough exercise during the day that I'm a skinny 185 pounds. I'd be trim at 200 if I worked out, but I don't want to do that.

JBigjake repped this.
  25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about Turkey? Isn't aproximately 95 percent of the country in Asia?