Juandering who we are going to sell next, or does it Mata? - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By home grown I wasn't just referring to youth products from our system, but guy who would help meet the quota from other teams as well. British players have been a big part of this side for a long time now

2. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're not wrong. But. . .but who? Who is really good enough? Josh McEachran? Nate Chalobah? [from within] and who 'from without'? [on the cheap from other clubs].

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That issue was mentioned tonight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27042786

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says Liverpool's impressive contingent of English players was not the reason the Reds beat his team 3-2 at Anfield on Sunday.

The Chilean has spoken previously about the value of having Englishmen in Premier League sides.

"It is important to have English players in all English teams," he said.

"But that is not why Liverpool won the game. In this game, three or four important decisions went against us."

He's right, obviously... but I've always thought you need a balance between players who will lay down in traffic for the cause and others who are more 'finessed', shall we say. If you are out of balance one way or the other, you suffer. Obviously the ideal would be players with BOTH attributes but they're few and far between.

Of course, players who are determined and hard-working aren't always English but, over the years, it's been noticeable that players playing in the country of their birth, in front of their families, friends and people they grew up with, tend to work harder and, as you may have noticed, we play in England, so... :)

I've seen the same thing for Italians playing in Italy, Spaniards in Spain and French people in... er... OK! that's where the theory breaks down :D

Anyway, I think you always need a core of English players in the long run to be competitive in the EPL but, obviously, there's more to it than that :)

4. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Indeed [agreed with what he said].

Cahill was a good signing. Not as great and as exciting as David Luiz. But a solid reliable player. We need a few lads like that.

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Neither was I, and as BluePict pointed out, who is good enough or even affordable? We did brilliantly with the Cahill signing, but that type of deal seems to be very far and few in between.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he has been as great as Luiz, he may not be as eye catching in the skills department, but he has been the better defender, the position the two were signed to play. And I am pretty sure we got him for less than 10 million sterling.

yes there are a ton of British players not good enough to play for us, but also a few who could that we could get for less than 40 million pounds of potential.

Ryan Bertrand for instance would be a solid rotational play at leftback and we seem ready to get rid of him for no good reason. Not every player can be a star

7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Didn't quite understand that tbh, put in some very good shifts for us.

8. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not sure every player wants to know they are second fiddle and ride the bench. He probably wanted a move.

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed. I was actually a huge fan of the Gaz signing in the first place despite the detractors labeling him as "slow" and just a "good player in a shit defence". I never got that line of thinking and even some of the more stout Luiz supporters have jumped on the Gaz bandwagon. Really a steal at the price we landed him (around 7 mil) but remember that we got him towards the end of his contract which may be the one of the better ways to avoid the English Tax moving forward.

really depends on need and position imo. If there is the correct fit then it makes sense but as you mention below there are also some British players available for a reasonable enough fee for the right fit.

in fairness I think a lot of the recent talk of wanting away has come from Ryan who regularly wants to play and frankly I can not blame him at this stage of his career. I think both parties will agree that it is best for all for Ryan to move on and with some of the options we have now it may be a relatively sensible move if we can turn a land a good fee for him.

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    beat me to it

his recent comments have indicated that he wants regular football

11. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me thinks it's like Sturridge though, never got a fair chance to play games, which would be the fault of the club not just being behind in the pecking order.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    with Ash ahead of him it was always going to be a challenge but his constant loan moves probably did not help him settle

he got a decent run of games in 12-13 but clearly since then several other Managers have not rated him as highly and I think at this stage Ryan prefers regular football as opposed to being a rotational player

ArmanSLR repped this.
  13. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed, he did get a run of games. At a club like ours competing on all fronts and with plenty of top quality players it is going to be difficult for a youngster to break into the squad but look what Azpi did this season, he had a few games while Cole was out and than proved that he was the better option.

14. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Makes sense and very likely as well. Just don't like to see either one of Ivan or Dave sit, but that's a different matter.

15. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's most likely not available, but I was really impressed by this young left back for Dortmund - Erik Durm. He looked great in recent games against Bale and Ribery. I doubt they're selling though.

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  18. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea have reportedly agreed a pre-contract deal to sign 19 year old Croatian midfielder Mario Pasalic.

The Croatian Under 21 international, who has netted 11 goals in 27 appearances for Hajduk Split, is to undergo a medical at the Stamford Bridge club in May but could be loaned back to his current club for 2014/15.

19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought we already signed this kid.

And hello Vitesse.

20. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I really hope we start seeing some of these youngsters in the first team.

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  22. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I hope that Cech is past his illness

in fairness Schwarzer is not that bad but just made an error one would almost expect from a hardly used back up keeper the other day

24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Three things of note today. We are out of the Shaw sweepstakes because Yanited are going to pay an asinine amount for him plus crazy wages for a 19 year old.

If Barca indeed want Luiz and £35m is the price, maybe we do, that's a lot of dosh.

With Cech's injury, and depending on the severity, perhaps Courtois ends up here next season. Say Pete is out for 4 or 5 months. He'd miss all of preseason and the start of the season. Do we risk it with Schwarzer or try and get Ruddy when Norwich are relegated? Or do we say feck it and go with Courtois?

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like Ruddy and think he's probably looked bad because of the side that's in front of him but I think a top side needs to have a top keeper and, if you're right and Cech's out for an extended period, I'd say we bring Courtois in and see how he goes in pre-season. If it's an unmitigated disaster, (which is unlikely IMO), then we still have PC.

Blueallthru repped this.