Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013-2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bmo180, Jan 15, 2014.

1. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    There's a lot of out there things said on BigSoccer, but this might take the cake. The two aren't even in the same stratosphere.

2. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I think he will be better than Nagbe is (18 vs. 23) but I'd take Nagbe 100/100 if you wanted us to suit up tomorrow.

SJB repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Depends what deficiency the particular team has, if you ask me. I was for Nagbe going to Sunderland in January because I thought he was just what they needed, somebody to run the ball through midfield. However, if I were looking for a wide forward to score/create goals I would take the sly Fagundez over Nagbe.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You think Serna is slow? I guess we will find out when Rapids play Seattle. Looking forward to it.

5. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I don't think Serna is slow. I know after watching them play for a year at Akron and watching them play in MLS that Serna is nowhere near as fast as Yedlin is. Yedlin's arguably top five fastest players in a fast league and Serna isn't close.

Let's put it this way: as a naturally left footed player with good tactical/technical knowledge, if he was as fast as Yedlin is he'd already be in Europe.

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serna seems more Quick than fast, he blows by people and gains space but most defenders can than catch him in a straight line contest.

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I hardly ever see Fagundez swing in a cross or on the sideline. I don't think he's a true flanker.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Would he have gotten a WP?

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Valid question but it is possible his case is somewhat different than the usual MLS schlub. Not much point in speculating at this stage so no need to expatiate.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He is still dangerous getting the ball wide. More SAmerican in style in that respect.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rookie J. J. Koval, out of Stanford, and the 9th overall pick of San Jose got his first MLS start on Saturday night.

I watched the late West Coast game, trying not to fall asleep and there was a lot more action in the center of the field. Koval was filling in at right back, which has been a concern since last year. He looked to be playing out of position, but it is good to see that he has impressed enough to be getting looks this early.

cer.com/news/article/2014/04/16/rookie-jj-koval-beast-filling-right-back-injury-depleted-san-jose-earthquake

“My mentality from the beginning has been to work hard in training and contribute in any way possible to help the team,” Koval said. “Whether I’m playing center mid, right back or center back, I’m here to do whatever I can to help the team win.”

“I think he’s played right back twice in his life, and it’s been both times with us, without preparation," Watson said. "It’s kind of last-minute stuff, and he’s always adapted well.”

It might be more attractive playing behind Djalo. A powerful and rangy defensive midfielder by trade, Koval is unlikely to match the offensive potential of Barklage, Cato or Görlitz. But he can clean up more effectively when Djalo floats to the center of the pitch, something that frequently happened Sunday as the Quakes searched for first an equalizer and then a go-ahead goal in the second half against Columbus.

Earthquakes captain Chris Wondolowski said the squad would have no problem welcoming the rookie to the lineup if a spot opened up.

“He’s absolutely amazing,” Wondolowski said. “I think he’s done a fantastic job. He’s just a beast, anywhere you put him. He covers so much ground, is such a tough guy and so smart. At such a young age, he definitely has a veteran head on himself.”

12. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't wade into the substantive debate about Nagbe versus Fagundez. What separates them to me, however, is Nagbe's other- level quickness and speed. Nagbe reminds me [purely from a speed and quickness stand point] of a young Henry. There are few defenders anywhere who can keep up with him (exhibit A is what he did to the very fast and quick Yedlin a few weeks ago). Whether he develops the final ineffable thing which would have him impose himself on games completely (Schopenhauer's "Will"? Will Johnson's Will?) is another matter. I hope he does.

Fagundez has good quickness and all sorts of other great attributes as a player but I don't think he's on the same athletic plane as Nagbe.

Tom Collingsworth and deuteronomy repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think he would have gotten one through an appeal due to his talent. That said, he's probably not going anywhere until January 2016. He needs to maintain residency through Dec 15th to earn his citizenship - at which point he'd immediately become our best wing attacker. He's good enough to be a starter for us this summer IMO.

COMtnGuy and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    WTF is with Boswell's eyes. They stare into my soul and find the things that terrorize me.

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your avatar does that same thing to me . . .

16. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Was that the play where Yedlin mindlessly went in like a rookie and got turned?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one and one or two other occasions in first half, iirc.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    With the way the English FA has clamped down in the past year or so, I'm guessing no.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You have to remember that Sdland's plea would have been that their position spelled relegation absent some change in their team's composition and the management had decided that.....(fill in the blanks).

20. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    You mean the one where he put in a cross that almost led to a goal then had to track back 70 yards to cover Nagbe ON A COUNTER?

Yeah it was that one.

You aren't recalling correctly. That week was a microcosm of the power of narrative vs. reality.

21. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    It's still poor defending... No matter how far he tracked back, he still pressures Nagbe on the wrong side, instead of making his long recovery run count.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Edu could have done better on the goals given up; too much ball watching.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But for all the discussion about how Nagbe looks on the field, isn't there a big question about his production?

Nagbe has 17 goals and 9 assists in 7766 minutes
    Fagundez has 17 goals and 10 assists in 4050 minutes

Fagundez is 4 1/2 years younger and has played barely half as many minutes, yet he's already matched Nagbe's output.

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Maurice Edu runs down and closes down players in space with jaw-dropping speed. If you're in a game where you need to throw numbers forward, and need one person to cover for two in the space behind them, he's your guy. In the first half tonight, he closed a five yard gap on a sprinting Luylindula, who's pretty quick with the ball at his feet, in what seemed like a fraction of a second.

However, I would not choose to employ him in a game where negotiating tight spaces with the ball your feet is needed. Also, his passing is sub-par on MLS standards.

That being said, the former, combined with his threat on set pieces and ability to play CB in a pinch might be enough to book his ticket.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are fighting a myth. Cant be done. Nagbe is the second coming for many BS posters. Cant touch this....