Will you be supporting your fellow AFC nations at the World Cup?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by RickChelsea, Jun 25, 2013.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really only support (in terms of I get upset if we lose) my own country but I do wish the other AFC nations well and hope they all reach their potential. All three others have challenges in their groups but they are all capable of reaching the second round through those groups if they play at their best. As for Austral;ia, we not only have to play at our best but also have to hope for some luck. The draw has not been particularly kind to us this time. We copped the highest ranked team from two of the pots and the second highest ranked from the other. We can only hope the finalists from 2010 go as well in this World Cup as the finalists from 2006 did in 2010.

2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i hope australia does not repeat their 6-0 losses, although i doubt they will. i hope japan goes far and they have a decent group so they can. as for south korea, since their group is so easy, i cant say i will cheer for them because their fans will get too cocky, but i wont be hoping for them to fail either.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I generally support Asian teams when they are in the World Cup, although occasionally I deviate from this depending on the circumstances. For instance, in World Cup 1994, I strongly supported S.Korea and Saudi Arabia. I was especially ecstatic that Saudi Arabia qualified to the Round of 16. By 1998, however, I supported neither one of them. In that World Cup, besides Iran, I supported Japan and was disappointed they lost to Jamaica even though they had done well against both Argentina and Croatia. In World Cup 2002, I supported both S.Korea and Japan, although I supported Japan more than S.Korea. Still I recall being a bit annoyed by Italian fans whining about the referee when they lost to South Korea, although by the time S.Korea beat Spain, I wasn't supporting them anymore. That game didn't look right to me at all. But the Asian team that I certainly didn't support in 2002 was Saudi Arabia: I was as excited as any German fan could be when they Germans clobbered Saudi Arabia 8:0! I just didn't like the Saudis anymore and didn't want them around the World Cup, having taken what I felt was more properly Iran's place. As for China, part of me always supports China doing well in football because I think that is good for Asian football in the long run, but a part of me wasn't thrilled with them qualifying from a group that I felt was almost rigged to avoid either of the remaining top Asian teams, namely Iran and Saudi Arabia. That is the kind of corruption in the AFC that doesn't sit well with me. In 2006, I didn't care much for S.Korea and didn't root for them. I certainly had no reason to root for Saudi Arabia, but was more indifferent than being overtly hostile to their team. Besides Iran, I rooted for Japan as well as Australia, who were still not in the AFC nonetheless. In 2010, I supported all the Asian teams rather vigorously, especially Japan but even North Korea. Wasn't thrilled they were thrashed by Portugal at all.

In this World Cup, I support Iran and first and foremost, but I have no problems supporting the other Asian teams either. Japan in particular and while I don't expect Australia can do much with the group they got, I am certainly going to root for them too. I also like to root for South Korea, although some of their fans make it difficult for me. However, I actually think South Korea have better talent now than before, especially better talent than at any time before 2010.

Mani and stellarboy repped this.
  4. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I will always support all Asian teams BUT Japan. (Sorry it's the truth) That being said however, I don't mind them making it far in the World Cup, as long as they don't make it further than us. I certainly don't want them to get thrashed. (I know they won't)
    I'll even be rooting for Iran like I always do. I have too many Iranian friends not to root for them. But after the WC, it'll be back to bickering and banter from me. :thumbsup:

AsanoAram repped this.
  5. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yea, it'd be borderline retarded not to support each other @ the WC. The better we do in the WC the less flak we'd get from third tier euro trash. lol.

Iran, Japan, and Korea, I'm fairly certain are going to the 2nd round. The Socceroos have their work cut out for them but eventhough they're extremely weak atm, they can't possibly get any worse either, and the dutch are atrocious as well. So who knows, maybe we'll get all 4 teams through to the round of 16. That'd be a massive wakeup call to Fifa, euro snobs, and concacrap.

6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The one Asian team I always root for at the World Cup is Japan. Saudi Arabia, I always rooted against with no hesitation. South Korea, I have a love-hate relationship with, I've rooted for them and against them, at different times.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  7. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I have always followed Japan closely since my first World Cup (France 98). And unlike the other Asian sides that qualified this time, they don't make watching their matches feel like a chore.

8. pak_sakoorgtloh

Jul 2, 2013
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    YES ! definitely . but tbh I dont consider aussies as an AFC teams, so I am looking forward to see Iran, Japan & Korea Rep in WC ! .. great if at least one of this team make it through QF @ Semi final

9. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Because cricket is full of middle age guys, lasts hours on end, and is one of the most boring sport I've watched.

What makes you think I watch cricket lol.

10. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I'll be supporting Iran one of my favorite teams from Asia.

11. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I will cheer for all the Asian teams. Them doing means more exposure and spots in future World Cups.

12. rhj99

rhj99 Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    +1 :D

13. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope you're being sarcastic regarding this!? As an European, I can assure you that other than Germany (and a few other non-European) nations, I decide on a case to case basis who I support and hardly ever would I support any other European team against a non-European opponent. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the other European countries. I have a lot of friends all over Europe, but when it comes to football, we are rivals and want most of the others fail miserably!

An example? I have loads of English friends who I like and appreciate a lot, but in almost every game I would want England to lose, no matter if it's against another European, an Asian, African, American or whatnot team! Against Argentina however, it's one of those very rare occasions when I would hope for England to beat them, simply because I have a very personal dislike for the Argentinian NT!

And let me assure you, most of my other European friends would feel the same way about my country (especially) and most other European countries.

So, it's good of you have this kind of solidarity in the AFC but Europe is surely no example for this!

14. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    We only support each other so we can hope for a build up of structure in Asian Football

15. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I support Japan first, but also want all the Asian teams to do well in the World Cup. The reason is simply to improve Asia's standing in the game. As a confederation AFC is not exactly well thought of by the rest of the world as much of a power in the game. The better Asian teams manage in the World Cup, the better the world perception will be of Asian football, rightly or wrongly. And of course the possibility for an increase in World Cup places comes if you do really well.

16. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I really don't care what most of the Asian teams do in the WC. I'll probably be rooting for Algeria more than any AFC team.

17. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I have a soft spot for Japan because the JFA have always lent out a helping hand for our football, from fundings to organizing training camps in Japan for some of our youngsters and coaches etc. No reason to support the rest.

18. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Definitely! If all Asian teams do well we could get our allocation increased. I will be there in person for Japan - Cote d'Ivoire and if Palestine qualify for the Asian Cup I'll also see our nations go head-to-head in Newcastle to open up Group D action.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    World Cup 2014 AFC trailer:

Mani repped this.
  20. Dmed10

Dmed10 Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    I will be supporting all Asian countries in the World Cup, good luck to all.

21. Dmed10

Dmed10 Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    Though I will be supporting Japan first then, because of Okazaki and Kagawa.