MLS vs. NASL (vs. USL Pro)/ NYCFC vs. Cosmos (vs. Red Bulls)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Gaboo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I think he actually believes this.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to be a very disappointed man when all is said and done.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    A delusional meth addict would have made more sense than Peterson did in that interview. To wit:

“It’s a chance for us to go out and compete against everyone and sort of measure how well you are doing, so we take that competition very serious."

First, that's seriously Bill. Second, if it "sort of" measures that you're not doing well, then what do you do?

"It's actually so important for us that we've asked the CONCACAF people to consider giving us our own entry. We feel at this point in time arguably we are one of the top leagues in the region and we feel we should probably have our champion earn in berth in the Champions League."

Who are "we" and "us" exactly, and what is this "region" that he's referencing? If 'they' believe they deserve it, why is he using words like "arguably" and "probably"? It sounds like he's trying to talk himself into it. Or himself and the others he's referring to, whoever they are.

"We want to be able to compete with the best clubs in the world in the next 3-5 years. It’s a lofty goal, and I didn't say we'd beat them every time (huh?), but we want to be in a position where we can compete with everyone."

Perhaps getting your own house in order first (OKC and Virginia et al) would be prudent before trying to take on the rest of the world? Just a thought.

4. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course if you don't have cable or get cable from a Cable ISP you can't get ESPN 3.

5. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading twitter seems NASL live streaming had major issues.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im watching a very pixelated Cosmos game atm. So yea theres some issues to sort out, lol.

7. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    7,906 fans at Cosmos.

8. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The feed was decent, unfortunately, when I maximized the screen, the game only used 50% of my screen space

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I'm ticked....I was able to get the matches up here on the South Shore of Bostonlast year, yet this year I still get the channel but they blocked out the effn game!!!! What the?

10. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #5210 Prosoccercdn, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Tampa vs FC Edmonton game was very good, no lag, same with Strikers vs Ottawa game and also the Scorpions game but the Indy game was on and off for me(found out later it worked if you followed the direct links NASL posted).

Today's Cosmos game game was ok for me visually (some slight pixelation) but clarity was not as good as the Oneworld Sports streams from their website last season that I watched.

I had this at first as well but found out that when you go to full screen you have to click the "->" button after which will say "go to live" (which I thought would be on live already but the player has pvr functions so you can start from the beginning if you so choose even if the games started). After clicking the screen goes 100% fullscreen.

I do like the added pvr funtionality of NASLLive in case I'm a few minutes late getting on the computer. Also happy that I had no lag in the games I watched, that drives me nuts. Overall an improvement from last year so far.

Sam U El repped this.
  11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigApples' Cuttone Comments on the Cosmos Opening day:

"Major League Soccer in its early days didn’t want to embrace the legacy of its predecessor. It’s been forced to in recent years, with admission of the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers, and to a lesser degree the Vancouver Whitecaps."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/cuttone.php?article_id=36691

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    So?

That's great where it resonates and works, but attendance for Vancouver and Seattle only truly spiked when they entered MLS. PDX, while well attended took it up another notch. San Jose hasn't transformed since they went from Clash to Quakes. tradition is fine and good, but it's just part of the package. No one knew what would work when MLS first started up again...big experiment. Learning as they go.

Article also says some think it's insane for NYC to be in D2.

Nostalgia is great, tradition is nice, but as has been shown it is only a small piece.
    NYC gets the stadium and gets into MLS that will resonate 5 times as much.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, wonder why they didn't want to embrace a legacy of spending yourself into oblivion, short sightedness, and general idiocy amongst ownership and league office ?

Some people take shots for no other reason than to just do so.

KidFlash, m_vandersee and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I don't think it was shot. Nostalgia breeds fantasy and good feeling.
    It was one of those.....it was great in the old days articles....that leaves out everything that wasn't great and went wrong.

The old "I once scored 4 TD's in the high school football championship" type articles.

8K is solid, but with Pele and good weather on opening day, it will be inetersting to see how attendance holds up.

I get the feeling that Indy is going to actually be the real flagship team of this league when it comes to true passion and fan support. But wait...they don't have history or an old NASL name like San Antonio. They are in trouble.

TBH, really bummed I can't get the games anymore. Found out I'd have to pay. Not happening.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with that if he opened up with that, rather than sticking it toward the end where there was no need for it, at all.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    What, you didn't like the "I talked to an MLS exec about my age and he said those names have been around since I was 13" line.:D

Cheesy, open ended, meant to be manipulative line that elaborated on absolutely nothing of substance, but leads the reader and lets them believe whatever they want?

That simplistic sort of nostalgia and manipulation won't work on many folks. To transparent. Like Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher. Right?

No one would toss out a meaningless line from that article and try to use it as something other than what it is......vapid, nostalgic, manipulative and simplistic. Would they?:p

Either way it doesn't matter. The real concern is that they got 2,000 less curious folks than last year.
    Hopefully, a real core of 7,000 or so can be maintained.

17. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well given they are actually charging you for the service as opposed to it being free, one should expect a massive improvement. But it sounds like there are some problems and poor quality on some streams. No big deal if it's free. But when you charge for things, you are going to be held to a different standard.

18. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if it's MLS. If the NASL has problems, it's just "live beta testing" issues that will be "ironed out in the next few weeks."

19. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHY DE BONTIN LEFT
    'We no longer agreed to the strategy'

"All I can say about my departure is we no longer agreed to the strategy," de Bontin said Saturday. "I think I am very ambitious for New York and very ambitious for soccer in this country. The objective that I had did not necessary match those of the Red Bull organization in Austria. I felt it was better with this in mind that we parted ways."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=36703

20. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I was expecting a back rub and for NASLLive to bring a beer to my seat when I am watching the game, I mean it would not be a big deal if it was free but when they charge for things, you are going to be held to a different standard.

I mean they had a whole 0 weeks of this and all pre-season to get it right, very disappointing. I want my free trial money back.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  22. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had zero weeks? They had no time prior to launch to work on the bugs?

Jossed repped this.
  23. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When you are trying to be a wiseass, it always helps to get the "wise" part right. Otherwise you just end up looking stupid.

Far be it for anyone to suggest that a paid product actually be a major improvement from a free one. Maybe I am just crazy like that. It is madness, I tell you! And the free trial thing doesn't mean much, because if this is the quality of service, why would I pay for it when the trial ends?

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  24. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the Yankee players going to think of this? They usually play a summer friendly or two at Petco and the Padres always whine about how it hurts their field.

25. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    An improvement yes, "massive" no, there only charging a piddly $4.99 per month after all. If you want to set the bar so high asking for MASSIVE improvements then your either kidding yourself or you just want a reason to bash the service and the NASL constantly. Most will be happy with a reasonably improved service and the ability to watch the matches without lag and descent visual quality which I was able to do with the 2 games I wanted to view in their entirety last weekend.

Aside from the problems of 2 match links dropping out from the schedule and the IOS app not working and a few other quirks, the streams were all watchable,Tampa's WAS an improvement from last season, same for the Strikers match, Indy's was excellent quality.

The kinks are being worked out I'm sure, some will bash with glee though at the negatives because of their biases.