Virginia Cavalry FC thread

Discussion in 'Virginia Cavalry' started by MD-Law-, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    That is my impression too. Both Cavalry and Hounds seem to be directly linked to the Loudoun One project as a whole. However, that is exactly what is NOT happening there.

2. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, I hate to be cynical, but this situation has Lehigh Valley Steam/Lehigh Valley Multi-Purpose Sport Complex/LV Black Diamonds/Thomas X. Flaherty written all over it. It is creepy how it is the same scenario, just 15 years later. History does repeat itself.

kenntomasch repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #479 davidrpaige, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    The LV Steam was a team in the A-League in 1999. They had planned to share a new stadium with an independent baseball team, the LV Black Diamonds. Thomas X. Flaherty was the "mastermind" behind the operation. Well, money dried up after much shady dealings with the non-profit he was a board member of. The construction site was half finished and sat there until it was finally demolished many years later. Meanwhile, the Steam only played the one year due to not having a home and the stadium situation fell apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh_Valley_Steam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh_Valley_Multi-Purpose_Sport_Complex
    http://articles.philly.com/2000-10-...anaccio-northwestern-funds-armand-della-porta
    http://blog.pennlive.com/lehighvalley/2008/04/field_of_dreams_and_recurring.html

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many well-meaning people have done this over the years, unknowingly. Else there would be no frauds, because frauds kind of depend on well-intentioned people who miss obvious signs.

I do not believe this rises (yet) to the level of fraud, which involves a deliberate attempt to deceive. Like I always say with regards to officiating, never confuse ineptitude with corruption.

I know it seems to some of you like we're living in a golden age now, where no franchise that comes down the pike can do anything but fart rainbows, but we're still susceptible to the occasional franchise that just doesn't have the money or the talent or the vision or the wherewithal to be a disaster. Maybe this is the one. Maybe they come back from it, I don't know. But someone who seems reasonable and capable aligning themselves with something doesn't always give it the stamp of approval that means they're in the clear. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

David's Lehigh Valley Steam reference (which I think I made not long ago, too) is worth paying attention to. If you didn't know that story, you should.

(BTW, they were coached by Daryl Shore. And they weren't a terrible team, if memory serves. I actually talked to their GM about a gig there when they were in startup, and the first conversation I had with him after I had sent him all my information made it sound like he wanted me to come there the following month and get started. Then the next conversation, it was like we never had the first conversation. At that point, my BS detector went off, and, as it turned out, that was a good thing.)

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Inauspicious start.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look behind you. "Inauspicious" was a while back.

TheJoeGreene and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...the old guy is the new guy. I wonder how well that will work out. Maybe things will turn out differently this time...:)

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Bonetti repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who the hell does own them?

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Travez, Virginia Cavalry FC’s Principal Owner

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I saw that article tweeted. That's the first time I realized they would just be a tenant.:confused:o_O

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I mis-remembering that they were all this time supposedly owned by the same people who owned the baseball team?

16. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I always thought they were together: One Loundon, Hounds and Cavalry. I thought they were three partnering groups, not one thing, but all committed with one another.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (LINK)

(LINK)

sitruc, TheJoeGreene and gremio1903 repped this.
  18. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the onwership group has been restructured based on this latest release and they just don't want to admit it. That or this was some funky partnership agreement where VIP was the operator for separate owners and that's being unwound. Sounds like these guys are trying to salvage this thing though I'm not sure it's the right market to begin with.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Obviously VIP Sports is one organization and Entertainment is another.:rolleyes:

I'm out of jokes. I'm actively trying to give a shit about this team despite the location, name and every other shitty mistake they make.

Doctor Woo, aetraxx7 and MuzzaFC repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL needs to cut their loses with this team already.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    55 million? Don't see that happening any time soon.

23. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPDATE ON VIP’S FINANCING OPTIONS
    April 7, 2014
    Goal remains to fund ballpark construction without public monies
    I hadn't seen this official statement posted anywhere so here it is...

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/258473661.html

He also sounded confident that Virginia, so recently pushed back, would see the field as well. “We’ll have some announcements pretty soon,” he said. “I was there last week, and we’ve reorganized the ownership group; they’re just finalizing some things there. We expect when we get to the [league-wide] June board meeting to be back on board and moving full speed[​IMG] ahead. There’s actually a lot of exciting things happening there that will come out over time when they get finalized.”
    The surprise is that, despite the problems with Virginia and Oklahoma City, the commissioner seemed confident that both would be on the field next season. “Both Virginia and Oklahoma City we’re still looking at 2015, “ he said. “I feel pretty good about Oklahoma City. Virginia, if they get a couple of things done in the next few weeks, they’ll also be there. They’re all committed, they all get it. We want to make sure when the teams launch now, that they’re prepared, and that they have had a fair chance to put a roster together, and get connected with the areas that they’re in too.“

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, Peterson knows just as much as we do. Which is nothing.