Yankee Stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, May 23, 2013.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but, I thought they were going to play in Westchester :eek:

... Joking aside this is good news. It sounds like the stadium project is really not going well, so this gives them the next three and half years to figure it out and hopefully build it.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So they need a stadium ready in just under 4 years, probably around 45 months.

Can't be less that 2 years to build it, and I imagine they don't want to stay at YS a day more than necessary.

Really, this changes nothing. We already knew YS was the only serious temp location, and 3 years could mean a permanent deal is done and will take 2+ years, or it could mean they are at square one.

4. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I already proved everything. I provided numerous links in previous postings (it's called "reading comprehension"). What do you want me to prove? Occupy Wall Street, poverty in NYC, De Blasio's election/political campaign? I know those may seem like weird, foreign ideas - especially for a pompous person from ritzy Rye Brook that clearly never took advantage of the school system to learn basic reading comprehension skills. If you READ, YOU CAN SEE I POSTED LINKS TO A VARIETY OF ARTICLES ON PREVIOUS POSTINGS.

The only thing I wouldn't post links to are articles relating to Occupy Wall Street, income inequality statistics, and De Blasio's election. If you were too lazy to read a newspaper and use all the resources available to you in 1% Rye Brook then that's on you my friend. Type all of the above key words in Google.

As for fuzzx, he cites the Charter School compromise - of which there was none. UPK and Charter schools are two separate issues and the Charter School issue was "dealt with" after the State superseded the City. It's reading and research. Use your education to read about it. I'm not your Cornell Professor -that has to spoon feed everything to you so you don't read your textbooks.

As for the rumor coming out of the Times, this changes absolutely nothing (as others point out). Yonkers wasn't going to have a stadium in time for 2015.

Plus, I never even stated my support for a Yonkers stadium either. I don't know about you, but I actually work and care where my tax dollars go and don't want it headed toward ANY STADIUM. I'm a soccer fan but not an idiotic soccer fan.

The reality is that the Sheik (et al) want a NYC team while the NYC mayor/ his politicos don't - what's in three years you ask? A NYC mayoral election. These guys want to play in Yankee and wait and see if the 2017 Mayoral election yields a new "business-friendly" Mayor.

In the meantime, Yonkers is trying to lure them over. And maybe they will. And maybe they won't. Either way, if you don't live in the area, it's not your tax dollars at risk. As for these fans insistent on a BX new stadium, you shouldn't fret - the proposed site for Yonkers is a two/three minute drive from the NYC border. If that puts your panties in a wad, you really got to start getting out more (or at least improving your reading comprehension skills).

5. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This right here, and only this, seem to be the point of disagreement and misunderstanding.

I agree, de Blasio does not want tax payer funding going towards a stadium, and will not support any agreement that could be construed as such.

BUT, I don't see any evidence at all which would suggest "NYC mayor/ his politicos don't[want a NYC team]"

IF there is no public funding involved at all, why do you think anyone would be against this? Seems like a mischaracterization of the situation.

Also, the Garage's need to be dealt with regardless. They have over $100 million in debt that the city is responsible for, which has no chance of ever being financed.

But again, simply forgiving that debt is another corporate handout that no politician wants to be connected to.

But right now, the most valuable team in all of American sports is burdened with a soccer team in their stadium, and if this does not progress, the team they have a 25% stake in is stuck playing on their pristine grass indefinitely. Additionally, Sheik Mansour, worth $49 Billion, wants a place to play.

Therefore, I would assume that the city will come to an agreement with little or no public funds used, and this farce will be over.

6. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoring your personal attacks. I don't think that occupy Wall Street (a movement with little if any influence in the public sphere since it petered out two years ago). NYC poverty or de Blasio's campaign have much to do with whether the stadium is approved. The political calculus of an electoral campaign is much different to the political calculus of a sitting mayor. The stadium deal will be completed in back rooms with a bit of the pie for every interested party. As Fuzzx has said there are benefits to the stadium deal and I think it will get done because of those benefits. Also, because the Sheik has the money to ensure all the parties get theirs.

Lastly, I will quote your earlier post:

"Yonkers is a great location because it is metropolitan, culturally diverse, large city (one of the largest in state FYI) and most importantly, very, very business friendly. The politicians in Yonkers have always been giving many tax incentives and deals to big business. In fact, big retail has practically taken over large swaths of the city. But believe me, if it moves forward, I doubt it will be a temporary deal. They're not going to spend a huge chunk of change on a temp home, that will be abandoned in short time - not in this economy."

This is part of your first post where you state why Yonkers would be great for a soccer stadium and tried to convince the forum of that. In addition, this portion of the post implies that you thought Yonkers tax breaks was one of the reasons NYCFC should build there. So forgive me if I think your worry about tax dollars is a little contrived.

7. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The situation seems to literally be exactly what I thought it would be:

On the other hand:

9. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    It is highly ironic that CornellBigRed believes politicians will say one thing while running for office and another thing after election, yet seems to fully believe that Mayor De Blasio is saying truthful things when it comes to positive news such as "dialogue" on the stadium.

So, in this magical alternate dimension, only positive news on the stadium is truthful while everything else De Blasio has done and said up until now has been false. Even though, he stood his ground on UPK, Charter Schools, and the horse carriages issues.

I'm also not going to dignify this repeated crazy, conspiracy that I'm part of the Yonkers government. If you think that any major city government has time/resources to spend on debating some random Rye Brook conspiracy theorist and some other Canadian guy (neither of whom NYCFC targeted as a fan base ironically), then it tells me you've really got to get out more.

I also said (look it up and read), the only way a BX stadium would happen is without the tax breaks.

Now, the owners have a choice - pony up more money for a Bronx location or look elsewhere and save money. We'll see what they choose.

But, it's interesting how everyone questioned the veracity of the Times report regarding a Yonkers stadium (even though it was unconfirmed). Yet, when it comes to ANOTHER UNCONFIRMED NY TIMES REPORT, everyone is assuming it is truthful.

Probably, the temp home will be Yankee - but it's not been confirmed official yet.

Plus, anybody that believed a stadium (no matter how temporary) was going to be built in 11 months for NYCFC opening day is crazy. If they build a stadium, that will be the permanent one.

10. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Vero, how many Cosmos games a year do you take in?

11. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    When you have nothing say, just go whistle Dixie my friend, whistle whistle all the way

12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my mistake. The way you've come to this site and piss and moan like you're some teenage girl in dire need of a Midol, I just naturally assumed you were a pissed off cardboard cosmos fan like some of the others around here.

13. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Funny man. You should do stand-up comedy some time . . . oh, I see you do it already - in Sales!

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Let the horsetrading commence.. :thumbsup:

16. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming this will have to do with where NYCFC will be playing next season. Especially with the latest rumors of Yankee stadium.
    [​IMG]

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them announced that they'll be at Yankee Stadium and an actual announcement of a future stadium.

18. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good point. The previous news was all rumors of this announcement. It might not be an actual agreement, but I would hope that there are elements of all this that have not been leaked yet.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch press conference live here:

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen some people suggestion this could be an announcement regarding next seasons kit colors and sponsor.

Guess we'll find out in a couple hours.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigAppleSoccer on twitter says it's an announcement of using Yankees stadium.

I would be surprised if it was much else. NYCFC need to have more press conference with content over the next 8 months. Colors and especially new stadium news would be chief among them.

22. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe also news about the season tickets for 2015 season.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possible. However I'll stick to no news on new stadium or player announcements today.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yankee Stadium is official. Season tickets will also go on sale today at 1pm. Those are the two big announcements.

Reyna briefly touched on the recent announcement of the youth partnerships.

To be honest, a rather bland announcement.